Thai govt urged to ease rules on condo transfers for foreigners

webfact

eth nic i ty
/ eTHˈnisədē /

noun

1. the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
    "the interrelationship between gender, ethnicity, and class"

Being a foreigner doesn't apply, sorry.  'Foreigner' is not an ethnicity.  Now, if Thailand had pricing that singled out specific ethnicities, that would be ethnic discrimination.  But, again, not racist unless race was linked with the ethnicity.  
        My main point is that improperly using racism--willy-nilly applying it to everything that is deemed to be discrimination, leads to this strong and important word losing its true meaning and value.  So, you end up with people saying things like:  "I think it's so racist that the city allows seniors to ride the bus for free!!"   "I think it's so racist that citizens pay one price and foreigners pay a higher price!!!'  Let's all try using the proper word: 'discriminatory'--which the dictionary says can be applied to different categories of people (citizen vs. foreigner) and discrimination based on such things as race, age, and sex.   I suspect most of those indiscriminately applying racism to everything likely were never victims of true racism. 

7 hours ago, newnative said:

Crikey, don't be so anal.  I was just using that as an example.  The number of price categories isn't the point.  The point being that different price categories based on race is racist.  'Foreigner' isn't a race. 

This guy wants to win the internet today.

Defending blatant discrimination based on being Thai ot not is racist in my book .

If this guy doesn't ming taking it up the ass at every opportunity let him have it.

Edited by dutchweller

15 hours ago, dutchweller said:

This guy wants to win the internet today.

Defending blatant discrimination based on being Thai ot not is racist in my book .

If this guy doesn't ming taking it up the ass at every opportunity let him have it.

Good post...... on the money. 

Racist or not, Canada and a few other "civilized" countries also have a "foreign tax" on property ownership. Personally I think this tax is stupid and indeed racist. Even though it applies to everyone it was pretty obvious from the beginning it was meant for asian investors. 

The 49% condo ownership is also not right. It's not just about price. It's always so much joy when you enquire about the property and the first thing they ask you is if you are a foreigner or a Thai. 

Edited by Pravda