No Smart Phone

Grumpy Old Man

any any smartphone could crash with your sensitive QR codes.  it is an electronics device like a washing machine or TV.  Do not use it to pay, do not trust in it or in Google.  Print all, backup all your important codes

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

On that note, if I only want it for the vaccination app or similar, surely I won't have to have access to my email, or will I?

You need to have a data package to do anything more than make calls and SMS

With that you can go online via WIFI or use the 4G/5G networks.

You will have to have data to download the App and allow it to display on your fone.

I just went into my app and tried to save Certificate of Vaccination to Google drive, Gallery, etc and it did not allow me to do so.

Edited by seedy

18 hours ago, jerrybeirne said:

i flew chiang mai-bangkok return, took the train to hua hin, booked into hotels etc. without a smartphone recently.

i also applied for my covid passport in chiang mai yesterday, the person who served me was a little bemused i did not have one. but was still able to proccess my application with the documents i had. 

Hmmmm... I was there too and 4 people (including myself) applying for a vaccination certificate were all rejected for not having a smart phone. I had to drive home and back to get one but an elderly Korean woman and an elderly Thai woman were left out in the cold until the daughter of the Thai woman showed up to get her mother and had to use her mobile for her mother. That helpful young guy that was moving the queue along actually used his own smart phone to help the Korean woman apply for hers. So I don't see how you were able to pull it off?

11 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

whats best about those phones they are virtually hack free and 100% safe ..just give a faceless company all your banking info and all will be fine...batteries last 24/7..as does wifi and folks never lose phones either.......good riddance to carry a few paper bills folded neatly in my pocket.......kids these days are spoiled!    /s

Meanwhile.... back in the real world......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

Hmmmm... I was there too and 4 people (including myself) applying for a vaccination certificate were all rejected for not having a smart phone. I had to drive home and back to get one but an elderly Korean woman and an elderly Thai woman were left out in the cold until the daughter of the Thai woman showed up to get her mother and had to use her mobile for her mother. That helpful young guy that was moving the queue along actually used his own smart phone to help the Korean woman apply for hers. So I don't see how you were able to pull it off?

I believe that its only Air Asia that requires passengers to be vaccinated , I asked three other airlines and none of them required you to be vaccinated or have nay documents other than your passport and a ticket