No Smart Phone

Grumpy Old Man

If everyone is forced to have a smart phone, then everyone who complies is trackable and surveillable 24/7.

I have a smart phone, I don't know how to use it to do this scanning nonsense....I use it to make phone calls; to read the internet if I am in a coffee shop and bored; and to access music via Spotify. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, ezzra said:

Unfortunately a smart phone is not a luxury item to own anymore,i't's become like your data bank/I.D card and payment's gate, so young or old and whether we like it or not, we're stuck with it...

I have a so called Smart phone Because it was a Present .

I only use a Phone for Phone calls .

All Internet banking and other things I do on the Laptop.

It's a pain in the butt too easy to stuff things up on the phone and on top of that I like a Smallish phone  to put in my pocket Than the problem is the buttons My fingers seem to be too big touching most of the time 2 digit .

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, robblok said:

Could you come up with some realistic examples of what the government would like to know ? All that you mentioned are mainly things government don't care about. 

Critical minds that don't follow the narrative.

And the plot to blow up Essex.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Just read the OP again about the airline part. That means about having a smart phone as needed to enter Thailand with the app.

Those of us without smart phones will just have to carry a hard copy of any paper work required. Obviously we won't be able to download any application. But it will be ok and we will still get into Thailand.

Besides, there will always be those who somehow lost their phone, have a flat battery, incompatible interface or some other problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kennw said:

Explain to me why this senior should be forced to do/use something he does not want to do, and if you think stay at home is the best option just wait till you reach that age and some one tells you the same thing. Where is your empathy.?  

AT 65 I'm feeling too old to go more than 1Km from my home (almost all my pals have already died). I'm guessing that by 84 travelling would be risking sudden death, not that I'm likely to even reach 70.

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Those of us without smart phones will just have to carry a hard copy of any paper work required. Obviously we won't be able to download any application. But it will be ok and we will still get into Thailand.

Besides, there will always be those who somehow lost their phone, have a flat battery, incompatible interface or some other problem.

Maybe yes maybe no. If they require an app then how will you do that on paper. Anway like i said before they might or might not enforce this just like they dont always enforce the 20k baht.  I don't mind if they send people away because they don't have a smart phone. Its their own mistake because they dont follow the rules. 

18 minutes ago, kennw said:

Explain to me why this senior should be forced to do/use something he does not want to do, and if you think stay at home is the best option just wait till you reach that age and some one tells you the same thing. Where is your empathy.?  

Tell me why a senior should be exempted ? If they make rules and they set them then you can either follow them or not and accept the consequences.  

What empathy i have empathy with people who follow the rules and still get in trouble, not with people who know they have to do something but think they can refuse because they are "special" 

• Like 1

Grumpy old man, I’m,sure he’s not completely alone ?? Get someone of confidence , family, neighbours, to down load everything ( except banking) on a cheap smart phone. Then if he goes somewhere and needs one he can just hand it over. 

39 minutes ago, geisha said:

Grumpy old man, I’m,sure he’s not completely alone ?? Get someone of confidence , family, neighbours, to down load everything ( except banking) on a cheap smart phone. Then if he goes somewhere and needs one he can just hand it over. 

My Dad is 96 and my Mum is 91. I've only just been able to get them to use a mobile phone (not the smart/internet variety) and they still have problems with this.

I worked for the Australia Government and, while we preferred to receive things electronically, we were legally obliged to accept hard copies. Not everyone is technologically literate, can use, or wants a smart phone.  I'm sure Thailand is the same. 

• Like 2

Of course lets not forget the elephant in the room for Thailand.  They want to push all of us to use their stupid apps but none of them work properly.  My phone would not even accept the two from immigration last time I tried because they were both flagged as viruses.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Haha 1

i flew chiang mai-bangkok return, took the train to hua hin, booked into hotels etc. without a smartphone recently.

i also applied for my covid passport in chiang mai yesterday, the person who served me was a little bemused i did not have one. but was still able to proccess my application with the documents i had. 

• Like 2

You’re letting technology get away , it will only get harder as you get older , and more of a problem. Get yourself a reasonably cheap one , used ones with a guarantee are good to start with. Learn the basics and try not to let it change your life. I presume you have a computer of some kind.

• Like 1

Not sure if this will help

3. What if I do not have a mobile phone, how could I present my QR Code?

- If you do not carry a mobile phone with the QR Code, you may print out a hard copy of the QR code and bring it with you to present it to the officers at the airport.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/thailand-pass-faqs?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c3060006842

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Not sure if this will help

3. What if I do not have a mobile phone, how could I present my QR Code?

- If you do not carry a mobile phone with the QR Code, you may print out a hard copy of the QR code and bring it with you to present it to the officers at the airport.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/thailand-pass-faqs?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c3060006842

I just discussed this very point with a friend on the phone tonight.  You will need to take very good care of your original vaccination paperwork.  If it is lost or stolen you will not be able to replace it like a passport or get temporary papers reissued.  

And what is also likely, is that if you want your covid passport reissued there will not be sufficient records kept at the Thai end and you may well have to go back to the original place you were jabbed which might be at the other end of Thailand from where you want to board a flight but have lost your covid paperwork.

Just my thoughts, please add your views, but I would currently argue that you should guard your vaccination passport even more closely than your passport.  Especially in the next few years until some standardized system is established globally.

I'm quite surprised with some of the responses here. Just because one 85 year old can use a phone or go jogging every day doesn't mean all can. My grandparents can't, but they are independent in most other ways. 

As much as my in laws want to use a smartphone, they are useless too. They can't tap the screen, it's like a 5 second hold. I've changed the settings as much as I can on the phone we gave them, but they can't do it, or remember what to press. All they can do is seemingly open every advert that pops up on their phone and accidentally turn the Wi-Fi off. 

What one can do though is buy a smartphone and never use it. Remove all apps but essentials (bloatware makes this an issue), then hand it to whoever requires them to scan something or use it. 

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I just discussed this very point with a friend on the phone tonight.  You will need to take very good care of your original vaccination paperwork.  If it is lost or stolen you will not be able to replace it like a passport or get temporary papers reissued.  

And what is also likely, is that if you want your covid passport reissued there will not be sufficient records kept at the Thai end and you may well have to go back to the original place you were jabbed which might be at the other end of Thailand from where you want to board a flight but have lost your covid paperwork.

Just my thoughts, please add your views, but I would currently argue that you should guard your vaccination passport even more closely than your passport.  Especially in the next few years until some standardized system is established globally.

The way it works for all/most EU countries. You log on to a website using a digital ID. And you download your vaccine record. You can keep it in your laptop and print as many copy's as you like.

I tried it myself just to see if it worked, and no problems.

And if the info in the link I posted is correct (There has been other stuff posted saying the "spy app" is a must) I might spend some months in Thailand after all this winter. Had started looking for 2-3 moth rent of apartment on the Canary Island. As a plan B