No Smart Phone

Grumpy Old Man

On 10/28/2021 at 3:08 AM, BritManToo said:

At 84 I'd suggest c) stay at home is his best option.

But Pop pop has a thing for ladyboys!!!!!    Also curious if you could in fact get into LOS without a smartphone.....more paperwork im guessing...

And thais would stare slackjawed at the first man to enter LOS without one!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Your father has basically three options:

a) get a smart phone and learn to use it

b) explain to people why he doesn't have one, ask what he can do without, etc. - and try that in a foreign language.

c) stay at home

I guess all in all a) is still the best option

Great post, not sure why people always things the rules should not apply to them.  Its like I don't have a driving license but i want to drive a car. Either don't drive the car or get one as its a requirement.

Smart phones can be had really cheap these days.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, topt said:

I have a smartphone however where is it enshrined in law that you have to use? The analogy with a driving licence seems flawed to me.

I am flying tonight and don't plan to use my smartphone for any of the processes I will be going through.

Paper still seems to be accepted - which means of course you need a printer instead......

Not in case of Thailand they seem to require you to download an app if you want to enter the country. So that is a law / regulation. So the argument is not flawed. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What does getting a car driving licence have to do with either owning a mobile phone or

not ?

I cannot see the connection 

It has something to do with this topic but not smart phone ownership in general. This was in relation to the app one has to install on phone to get in Thailand. That is a regulation a rule just like its a regulation / rule to have a license to drive a car.

Just read the OP again about the airline part. That means about having a smart phone as needed to enter Thailand with the app.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not in case of Thailand they seem to require you to download an app if you want to enter the country. So that is a law / regulation. So the argument is not flawed. 

Ok I may accept that for Thailand but it is not general yet thank goodness. :thumbsup: