Has the reentry permit just got killed for people on Thai wife extensions

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only a new Non-OA visa issued by a embassy or official Thai consulate requires the $100k insurance.

Not sure where you got that completely incorrect information.

There is no insurance requirements for a non-o visa based upon marriage.

I have a question for you Joe if you don't mind answering it, or anyone else in the know.

Farang I know arrived a couple of months ago on a non O visa, I think as he is married and he is getting his paperwork in order to apply for the marriage extension. I am assuming he has the 400,000 baht emergency insurance and the 40,000 baht outpatient insurance, however not sure if that is a requirement for the marriage extension or the OA visa extension.

So my question is, would be have to change his insurance to the US $100,000 or is this only for the non OA visa ?

It's all a bit confusing trying to keep up with the changes. I do believe you answered the question above, but just wanting further clarification, as some of us are slower than others.

So OA visa holders I understand have to have the $100,000 USD insurance when arriving on this visa.

But I am not clear on the non O which I believe is the marriage visa extension, i.e. does a newbie require the $100,000 USD insurance when entering Thailand if he intends on applying for a marriage extension, or is it 400,000 baht and 40,000 baht outpatient, or ZERO ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

When I entered Thailand on my Non O based on marriage (Last May) , I was requires the 100K covid insurance . 

Ok, so is this insurance only for Covid, if that's the case, he would probably have the same then.

So it is for all O and OA visa holders entering the country which would make sense as there are those in the age groups who cannot afford or get insurance, outside of the Covid insurance requirement.

Edited by 4MyEgo

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ok, so is this insurance only for Covid, if that's the case, he would probably have the same then.

So it is for all O and OA visa holders entering the country which would make sense as there are those in the age groups who cannot afford or get insurance, outside of the Covid insurance requirement.

It is not "covid only" insurance, it is any insurance which covers covid.  If you have medical insurance in Thailand  with medical cover for 100K USD (now 50K), it would also cover the entry requirements.

I'm about to buy non-Thai travel insurance today for the validity of my non-O retirement reentry permit, up to mid June next year. Although he requirements now seem to be 50K, I'm going to pay for 100K coverage. Covid didn't cancel any other medical conditions, including road accidents.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I'm about to buy non-Thai travel insurance today for the validity of my non-O retirement reentry permit, up to mid June next year.

I didn't think you can have travel insurance if you were on a retirement extension. Are you sure they will cover you, I ask that because when I looked into it prior to getting private health cover (emergency & elective), no outpatient, I was advised by many travel insurers that I had to obtain private health cover.

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Non-O retirement currently doesn't require medical insurance (only O-A requires), so travel insurance is OK if you can get it - many have restrictive age limits.  Probably quite a few non-O retirement visa holders don't have any insurance at all.

One big advantage of the travel insurance is that one can get repatriated to the country of usual residence (home country) in case of a serious medical case - likely to be a country with better healthcare. I know a guy who spent 2-3 months in ICU in Samui and got repatriated to Europe, where better surgery options were available.

Thanks, I keep forgetting the O is for both retirement and marriage and the OA is for multi entry, so there is the loop hole for the travel insurance, might be worth looking into as it's got to be cheaper than private health insurance which I do have on my O, personal choice of course.

Any restrictions with the travel insurance that you know of, e.g. must not be in the country for 12 months, or must exit the country every xyz ?

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks, I keep forgetting the O is for both retirement and marriage and the OA is for multi entry, so there is the loop hole for the travel insurance, might be worth looking into as it's got to be cheaper than private health insurance which I do have on my O, personal choice of course.

Any restrictions with the travel insurance that you know of, e.g. must not be in the country for 12 months, or must exit the country every xyz ?

Before covid I was just using my free Citibank AU CC travel insurance ???? Had to go every 6 months to Australia for 2-3 weeks (not for insurance), so it served me well.  It has unlimited medical coverage, but doesn't cover pandemics.

From the current providers the Safetywing Nomad option covers anywhere without any restrictions, but can get a bit pricey for age above 60 - like 1300-1400 USD per year.

Before covid World Nomad had insurance for Australian residents for around 1K AUD per year, but now they suspended that. With the reopening of Australia they probably will resume issuing policies.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need to the $50,000 covid 19 insurance to enter the country and it has to be valid for the permit to stay you get when entering the country with a re-entry permit.

I'm on a Non-O Marriage visa and I plan to fly out for a couple of days in December and return with a re-entry permit. Can I purchase this $50K insurance in Bangkok before I fly out? Any recommendations for an insurance provider?

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I have written already dozens of times no insurance is required for any non-o extension for marriage or retirement.

The new insurance is only for new Non-OA visa applications.

And for existing ones and extensions of the permit to stay it will remain at 40/400k baht unit September 1st of next year.

Info is here about the insurance. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/guidelineoa

I think what's being said and it's what I've always believed as well is..

In order to get a CoE processed you needed 100k covid insurance. Now, apparently it's 50k.

Nothing to do with actually obtaining the extension.

What's being stated is that since the insurance must last the duration of the stay it's de facto *annual* insurance (eg purchase 9 mos of insurance) anyone leaving once a year.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gearbox said:

Before covid I was just using my free Citibank AU CC travel insurance ???? Had to go every 6 months to Australia for 2-3 weeks (not for insurance), so it served me well.  It has unlimited medical coverage, but doesn't cover pandemics.

From the current providers the Safetywing Nomad option covers anywhere without any restrictions, but can get a bit pricey for age above 60 - like 1300-1400 USD per year.

Before covid World Nomad had insurance for Australian residents for around 1K AUD per year, but now they suspended that. With the reopening of Australia they probably will resume issuing policies.

I will look into this as it is cheap and sorry, but don't believe that it covers people with extensions here, the O/A might be different, however the only difference that I see with the O/A is that you get multi-entries with it, if I am not mistaken.

Private health here is costing me $5,000 AUD per year for emergency/elective, no out patience and that is for someone just over 60.

I hope I am misinterpreting the new regulations, posted below, but it would seem that anyone entering Thailand, married to a Thai or not, on any type of visa or visa exempt, will need at least 50K Baht of health (not simply covid-19) insurance.

This pretty much means that anyone with a pre-existing chronic condition will not be able to enter Thailand legally (unless willing to lie on the insurance application) or unless they can obtain such insurance abroad

248559568_4758837627472947_983949196880081789_n.png.a337c5c50b0f856762b3db546a11e027.png

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PFV said:

I hope I am misinterpreting the new regulations, posted below, but it would seem that anyone entering Thailand, married to a Thai or not, on any type of visa or visa exempt, will need at least 50K Baht of health (not simply covid-19) insurance.

This pretty much means that anyone with a pre-existing chronic condition will not be able to enter Thailand legally (unless willing to lie on the insurance application) or unless they can obtain such insurance abroad

I have seen nothing detailing what the insurance has to cover. I don't think it will be a standard medical insurance policy.

I think it will be more like travel insurance that is only valid for the length of your stay in the country.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen nothing detailing what the insurance has to cover. I don't think it will be a standard medical insurance policy.

I think it will be more like travel insurance that is only valid for the length of your stay in the country.

Yes, but the cost can be high, I have looked up the Covid insurance on the tgia site, it gets as high as 43000 for one year, while only just above 4000 for 30 days. Hence my OP. I'd rather reenter on tourist visa, get a non O here and save up to THB 40000.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe, this has probably been asked and answered many times .......if you arrive visa exempt you get a 30 day entry ( for an Australian)...but if you plan to leave after 14 days ( and departure flight ticket is 14 days after arrival)...does the insurance need to be 14 days or 30 days ?????

14 minutes ago, novo58 said:

Joe, this has probably been asked and answered many times .......if you arrive visa exempt you get a 30 day entry ( for an Australian)...but if you plan to leave after 14 days ( and departure flight ticket is 14 days after arrival)...does the insurance need to be 14 days or 30 days ?????

That would depend upon the embassy or consulate approving the COE or Thailand pass.

Many interpret the requirement as being the length of stay you get when entering the country.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

As I have written already dozens of times no insurance is required for any non-o extension for marriage or retirement.

The OP asked about entering the Kingdom.

"It seems that to 100,000 USD Insurance has been made compulsory for anyone on non OA or non O visa intending to enter the kingdom, whether it is an initial entry or a reentry doesn't matter."

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

The OP asked about entering the Kingdom.

"It seems that to 100,000 USD Insurance has been made compulsory for anyone on non OA or non O visa intending to enter the kingdom, whether it is an initial entry or a reentry doesn't matter."

You quoted my post out of context.

I was replying to a different post not the OP.

And what you posted is wrong. It is now $50k for everybody entering the country.

The new insurance requirements for a new OA visa does not apply to non-o visas for retirement or any other non-o visa

On 10/29/2021 at 2:26 AM, sirineou said:

When I entered Thailand on my Non O based on marriage (Last May) , I was requires the 100K covid insurance . 

On 10/29/2021 at 3:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

The new insurance is only for new Non-OA visa applications.

And for existing ones and extensions of the permit to stay it will remain at 40/400k baht unit September 1st of next year.

Info is here about the insurance. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/guidelineoa

@ubonjoe Have the rules on that changed since @sirineou entered Thailand in May, or was he wrongly required to have the insurance?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You quoted my post out of context.

I was replying to a different post not the OP.

And what you posted is wrong. It is now $50k for everybody entering the country.

The new insurance requirements for a new OA visa does not apply to non-o visas for retirement or any other non-o visa

You, more than anyone should stick to the point in question.

"And what you posted is wrong." - I didn't post anything regarding any amount, as you are well aware it was a quote, and get the facts right, it is not "$50"

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Have the rules on that changed since @sirineou entered Thailand in May, or was he wrongly required to have the insurance?

Two different issues; Covid insurance that everyone needs, and the health insurance required for Non O-A  visa.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 3:08 PM, Boomer6969 said:

Yes, but the cost can be high, I have looked up the Covid insurance on the tgia site, it gets as high as 43000 for one year, while only just above 4000 for 30 days. Hence my OP. I'd rather reenter on tourist visa, get a non O here and save up to THB 40000.

I am going to run into a similar situation if I visit Australia in February/March next year as renewing the marriage extension will be to March 2023. Looks like nearly 1 year of insurance.