Has the reentry permit just got killed for people on Thai wife extensions

On 10/29/2021 at 3:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

As I have written already dozens of times no insurance is required for any non-o extension for marriage or retirement.

The new insurance is only for new Non-OA visa applications.

And for existing ones and extensions of the permit to stay it will remain at 40/400k baht unit September 1st of next year.

Info is here about the insurance. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/guidelineoa

I agree 100% with the above input from UJ with the caveat that he is directing his comment at expats inside ofThailand who have not travelled abroad.   However, if the  statement fromthe Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Friday 29 October 2021 is to be believed, UJ input is not valid for those on a Non O (marriage) who are wishing to return to Thailand following a visit to another country.   They said 'insurance (minimum coverage 50,000 USD)

• Expats living and working in Thailand under a valid visa or residential permit are required to provide proof of insurance coverage in Thailand or valid social security card or certifying letter from their employer.
  • Thai nationals are not required to provide proof of insurance coverage

There does not appear t obe any exceptions other to what is stated.

My undertanding therefore is that if I decide to visit my famiy in the UK , having a Non O visa and a re-entry stamp, I will still require to have General Medical coverage, including Covid, of no less than 50,000US$.

Maybe the status of 'living and working in Thailand requires clariification. Is it three separate entities, one being 'living i.e 'retired' or is it 'working' or as printed 'living and working'   I fear it is the latter because they may already havemedicalcoverage from the employer.

I would be delighted if someone tellsme I am confused and wrong.

21 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

@ubonjoe Have the rules on that changed since @sirineou entered Thailand in May, or was he wrongly required to have the insurance?

Non IM -OA is for visa based on retirement and does not affect Non IM-O based on marriage.  Actually if I understand this correctly the 100k has been reduces to 50k but must cover general health and not only  covid coverage so the cost should be the same, but you have the additional benefit of being covered for other helth related things also.

As far as the OA is concerned, I thing it is only if the visa  is obtained outside the country. , Why someone would do this I don't know.  Simply come here on a tourist visa with only a 50k coverage and get a retirement visa here . 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't know much about retirement visas as I have never done one. 

18 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

I would be delighted if someone tellsme I am confused and wrong.

That is the insurance that is required for entry to the country for everybody. It does not matter what visa you have.

Before it is was $100,000 for only covid 19 insurance.

36 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Two different issues; Covid insurance that everyone needs, and the health insurance required for Non O-A  visa.

It seems confusing for sure ,the London embassy shows, the following for all people entering, in the past it specifically stated covid cover

Foreigners need to provide health insurance with a minimum treatment coverage of 50,000 USD or equivalent in any other currencies.

, elsewhere on the site it says all Thailand pass applications are not done by the embassy, but in Thailand

(Remarks The “Thailand Pass” will be approved by the central authorities in Thailand NOT the Royal Thailand Embassy.

As the pass system starts today, we will soon see,

Edited by howerde
text

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the insurance that is required for entry to the country for everybody. It does not matter what visa you have.

Before it is was $100,000 for only covid 19 insurance.

Agreed UJ, however it is a recent change as far as I am concerned because previously it was not required by RTE London for people with re-entry stamp.  I  am living proof of this because I went to UK in 2019 and only required the re-entry.

26 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Crikey, this gets confusing.

Not so much when you realise 2 totally separate issues are being mixed in this thread:

1   Compulsory insurance for a specific type of visa (nothing whatsoever to do with Covid)

2   Insurance due to Covid to enter that everyone has to have

If you have specific concerns might be better to ask in a less confusing thread.

7 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Agreed UJ, however it is a recent change as far as I am concerned because previously it was not required by RTE London for people with re-entry stamp.  I  am living proof of this because I went to UK in 2019 and only required the re-entry.

It started April of last year due to covid 19. 

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It started April of last year due to covid 19. 

Now I am confused again.

This is the first time I did an extension , so bare with me, 

I am on a one year extension based on marriage . If I get multiple reentry , and I fly out of Thailand and return with my multiple re entry do I need to purchase 100k or 50k or whatever it is., again. when I re enter , and if so for how long?

5 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Caveat:    Depending on which Embassy you were dealing with.   London have previously to the re-opening of Thailand have never required it for those who already have a Non O.

It is not needed for a visa application or anything else at a embassy.

It is for the certificate of entry before and now the Thailand pass application and when you enter the country.

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am on a one year extension based on marriage . If I get multiple reentry , and I fly out of Thailand and return with my multiple re entry do I need to purchase 100k or 50k or whatever it is., again. when I re enter , and if so for how long?

Not sure what you mean by again. It is not needed for anything at immigration in your case.

When you enter the country you will need $50,000 of insurance for the length of your stay in the country.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you mean by again. It is not needed for anything at immigration in your case.

When you enter the country you will need $50,000 of insurance for the length of your stay in the country.

Would that mean if the length of stay on a re entry permit for an existing annual extension the insurance requirement would expire as of next annual extension (assuming it being given)? If so people returning under such criteria need only purchase $50,000 insurance cover for the period of remaining  validity of extension of stay?

• Like 2

Boomer

you are as bad as Fox News brain-washing …you could have asked it in a question format rather than writing statements as misinformation…

an OA visa is the only one that requires mandatory insurance…why did you try to mislead on marriage and Non O visa requirements?

• Sad 1

On 10/29/2021 at 3:45 PM, gearbox said:

Non-O retirement currently doesn't require medical insurance (only O-A requires), so travel insurance is OK if you can get it - many have restrictive age limits.  Probably quite a few non-O retirement visa holders don't have any insurance at all.

One big advantage of the travel insurance is that one can get repatriated to the country of usual residence (home country) in case of a serious medical case - likely to be a country with better healthcare. I know a guy who spent 2-3 months in ICU in Samui and got repatriated to Europe, where better surgery options were available.

and I hear of a guy who had annual multi trip travel insurance With a max stay 90 days for any 1 trip, after 10 months living here he needed and underwent £8600 of surgery, advised the travel insures who refused to pay, due to his failure to supply documents regarding travel dates

11 minutes ago, Almer said:

and I hear of a guy who had annual multi trip travel insurance With a max stay 90 days for any 1 trip, after 10 months living here he needed and underwent £8600 of surgery, advised the travel insures who refused to pay, due to his failure to supply documents regarding travel dates

Yes, you have to careful with travel insurance. Even if it is for 1 year there maybe a clause that limits the coverage to 90 days per trip as you say.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Yes, you have to careful with travel insurance. Even if it is for 1 year there maybe a clause that limits the coverage to 90 days per trip as you say.

Also you have to renew from within your home country, not fools these insurance company’s and they have seen it all before

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

When I came here I had my american Insurance  (BCBS) that covered me in Thailand so it was no issue , But that will expire on January and then I am going on Medicare which does not cover me in Thailand.

If I did not have my BSBS and since I was coming in on a Non Im -O based on Marriage which is good for 3 month stay I would had needed 3 months worth of insurance, Am I correct on that?

So at the end of those three months,  I would do my extension based on marriage and conceivably, if I did not leave the country, I might not have to purchase any insurance  for as long as I stay here, and self insure. 

Am I correct so far? (I know I can extend the three months by two more months if I wanted) 

But If I leave the country on a multiple re- entry visa while I have let's say 8 months remaining on my extension to stay , when I come back would  I have to purchase insurance for those 8 months remaining? 

And if so, might not be less expensive to just blow the extension to stay and just start over again with another non im-o that would only require 3 months of insurance. 

I don't want to buy insurance in Thailand because it does not cover pre-existing conditions and at my age pretty much everything  is a pre-existing condition.

Unless I could get something that would cover everything , I would rather self insure, and for expensive procedures go back to the US where my medicare would pay for it.

I hope I did not confuse more. ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Almer said:

Also you have to renew from within your home country, not fools these insurance company’s and they have seen it all before

Most holiday  insurance purchased in UK only covers a maximum 2 month trip....You can upgrade Staysure basic policy to premium which gives 1 three month trip in the year the policy is live.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, OJAS said:

You have truly excelled yourself with this "remarkable" display of nit-picking pedantry, I think.

You are free to think what you like.

Obviously you think it is ok to make out a quote is the words of the person posting the quote.

I say "obviously" because if you didn't, you would have pointed it out, as you like to point things out.

• Like 1