Visa exempt requirements

I plan to enter Bangkok visa exempt in late November and then apply for a long-term visa. I will fly in using the return portion of a HK-Bangkok-HK ticket. I searched but could not find on this forum recent answers to:

-- Do I need to show a ticket for flight out of Bangkok within the 30 days visa exempt stay? If so, I buy a ticket and then cancel for refund? If so, pls recommend best/cheapest route option for this.

-- Do I need to show 10,000 baht cash? Or I also read it is 20,000?

-- The $50,000 insurance needs to cover only the 30 days initially, correct? I plan to later buy insurance for the duration of the long-stay visa that I will apply for.

Thank you. 

You may need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to the airline. It can be a onward ticket to anywhere. The certainly will not want to see financial proof.

Immigration will not ask for the ticket out or any financial proof when you enter the country.

You will not need the $50,000 baht insurance for anything after you enter the country. It is only needed for entry to the country.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You may need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to the airline. It can be a onward ticket to anywhere. The certainly will not want to see financial proof.

Immigration will not ask for the ticket out or any financial proof when you enter the country.

You will not need the $50,000 baht insurance for anything after you enter the country. It is only needed for entry to the country.

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean that the flight-out ticket, financial proof and insurance are requested by the airline when you check in, and will not be requested by immigration upon entry? I could not find info on website of local consulate here but saw this from New Zealand consulate and similar elsewhere. Says must show at "port of entry."

Aliens entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme must provide proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e., traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).Aliens entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days after the date of arrival, otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained beforing entering Thailand.  

9 minutes ago, david_je said:

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean that the flight-out ticket, financial proof and insurance are requested by the airline when you check in, and will not be requested by immigration upon entry?

The airline would ask for the ticket out of the country. They would not ask for the financial proof.

Immigration does not bother with asking for a flight out of the country or financial proof.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The airline would ask for the ticket out of the country. They would not ask for the financial proof.

Immigration does not bother with asking for a flight out of the country or financial proof.

Thank you. And I need the insurance coverage only for the 30-day initial limit of the visa exempt, not for any extensions/new visa I plan to get after that, correct?