how will that mandatory morchana app work starting next week. do i have to have a sim in phone to make it work. and data?

I can't find it in any Play Store, there are APKs out there.

It had been previously available; looks like ~ 5 mm downloads since it was released ~ 18 months ago (April, 2020, as a crowd-sourced COVID tracking app back then, where you could gauge the safety of a particular area).

Reviews/warnings say that it transmits location data continuously even when not open, and results in high battery usage, with some reporting hot phones.

Maybe they're working on a new release. Last updated (v. 2.0.5) ~ 5 months ago.

It is in the Apple/iPhone store. Updated 28 Oct. 2021, v. 2.1.4 https://apps.apple.com/th/app/morchana-หมอชนะ/id1505185420

Publisher is CAT Telecom.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

not true im in north america and it downloaded fine. 

Google/Android/Play Store?

When did you DL and install it?

What version?

I've searched quite a few times, using both Thai and U.S.-originated Google accounts,

My guess is that it on hold pending release as the previous version was probably not ideal for the now planned usage?

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I can't find it in any Play Store, there are APKs out there.

It had been previously available; looks like ~ 5 mm downloads since it was released ~ 18 months ago (April, 2020, as a crowd-sourced COVID tracking app back then, where you could gauge the safety of a particular area).

Reviews/warnings say that it transmits location data continuously even when not open, and results in high battery usage, with some reporting hot phones.

Maybe they're working on a new release. Last updated (v. 2.0.5) ~ 5 months ago.

It is in the Apple/iPhone store. Updated 28 Oct. 2021, v. 2.1.4 https://apps.apple.com/th/app/morchana-หมอชนะ/id1505185420

Publisher is CAT Telecom.

I've had it installed for over a year and it is not a battery-drainer. On Google Pixel phone and Galaxy S6.

Edited by mikebike

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Google/Android/Play Store?

When did you DL and install it?

What version?

I've searched quite a few times, using both Thai and U.S.-originated Google accounts,

My guess is that it on hold pending release as the previous version was probably not ideal for the now planned usage?

i have a google pixel 3a. and im not really a tech person. i wonder if maybe country a person is in might matter or even the phone they are using?    what happens if thier phone wont allow the app to be loaded in bkk airport.  will person have to sit at airport till they can get a working phone for the app>??

52 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

i have a google pixel 3a.

When did you download it?

What version?

I'm guessing that you're outside of Thailand now, but may be returning soon under the Thailand Pass scheme?

When do you arrive?

This is a re-purposing of an old app, I don't think anyone can answer the questions yet, posed in your OP.

I suspect the authorities will prefer that you have a phone, have a SIM, install this app, and use it as required. Who knows what enforcement might be, or how they deal with all the variables: no phone, no SIM, children, etc.

Like many things, the requirement for this app will evolve, or fall away, as it did when it was first introduced 18 months ago. I think I installed it as it looked like it might become a (temporary) requirement. It did not, and the app was an epic failure. No clue why it has been resurrected, maybe CAT has the spare network capacity/capability to track high volumes of people?

Most recent info from the "government" say:

Arrival in Thailand

(4) Present the Thailand Pass QR Code (or COE) to the Health Control to carry out checks, then proceed through the Immigration procedures.
(5) Undergo the RT-PCR COVID-19 test at the reserved accommodation, or the pre-arranged test centre.
(Children aged under 6 years have a saliva test.)
(6) Proceed to the hotel by the pre-arranged airport transfer. (Distance from the airport within 2 hours.)
(7) Download and install the MorChana application at the hotel.

Is it really useful ? I am not a tourist, long stay, have my mo prom, vaccination, never had to use mo chana, so I deleted it last week ( with thai chana ) from my smartphone 

do I have to download it again, and for what ? 

Thanks 

Just now, mtls2005 said:

When did you download it?

What version?

I'm guessing that you're outside of Thailand now, but may be returning soon under the Thailand Pass scheme?

When do you arrive?

This is a re-purposing of an old app, I don't think anyone can answer the questions yet, posed in your OP.

I suspect the authorities will prefer that you have a phone, have a SIM, install this app, and use it as required. Who knows what enforcement might be, or how they deal with all the variables: no phone, no SIM, children, etc.

Like many things, the requirement for this app will evolve, or fall away, as it did when it was first introduced 18 months ago. I think I installed it as it looked like it might become a (temporary) requirement. It did not, and the app was an epic failure. No clue why it has been resurrected, maybe CAT has the spare network capacity/capability to track high volumes of people?

Arrival in Thailand

(4) Present the Thailand Pass QR Code (or COE) to the Health Control to carry out checks, then proceed through the Immigration procedures.
(5) Undergo the RT-PCR COVID-19 test at the reserved accommodation, or the pre-arranged test centre.
(6) Proceed to the hotel by the pre-arranged airport transfer. (Distance from the airport within 2 hours.)

my guess is that if you have a smart phone with morchana app.  and open it from time to time over wifi u might not need a sim in the phone as the app will still be able to track you periodically?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Arrival in Thailand

Could you please post a link for this.

I have a pending (for 72h) ticket for Thailand. And I will not pay it if the "spy app" is demanded. That's where I draw the line.

• Like 1