Getting back to Thailand under Nov 01 regulations

I had lived in Thailand for around 8 years on work permits and retirement visa extensions previously but lost my retirement visa extension as I was in the UK when lockdown started and could not renew it.

I have been separated from my Thai partner (not wife) for nearly 2 years so I’m looking forward to getting back.

Are there any opinions as to which way is the best. – here is some, maybe relevant, information.

I’m 77 years old (which may be relevant re health insurance costs)

I have 800K Baht which has been sitting in my Thai bank account for 2 years.

So what is the best/easiest/most cost effective way of returning?

1.      1.  Get a retirement visa over here.

2.     2. Enter on a tourist visa, do the extensions and then apply for the retirement visa.

3.    3.   Other possibilities?

Any pointers appreciated.

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

2. Enter on a tourist visa, do the extensions and then apply for the retirement visa.

You wouldn't even need a tourist visa given that you have money in Thai bank in your name.

You could enter visa exempt and obtain a non O based on retirement. The 800k needs to be in the bank on the day you apply.

That gives you a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days of that period obtain a 12 month extension.

Simple process.

I have posted extension report today of that simple process in this forum.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Negita43 said:

what is and how do I get visa exempt?

There's nothing to "get". Citizens of certain nations can arrive without a visa and allowed entry for 30 days (with the ability to extend a further 30 days without leaving). You mentioned being in the UK therefore, you are eligible - assuming you are a Brit and not just happening to live/visiting there of course.

• Like 2

I had non-OA from US in 2019 and got extension for 2020 that was never used of course. 

I'd like to come back and would prefer multiple entry if possible, I'd like to be able to leave Thailand now and then. I probably will not be there full time, a few months a couple times a year. 

the STV looked even harder to get than the Non-OA,  or better yet an O when I arrive like you were saying?

on the LA thaiconsulate site for the non-OA they are saying "– an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht"

I do have a monthly pension that meets that. doesn't have to be deposited? I doubt that... 

I have an account at Bangkok Bank and can put 800k in there if needed.

30 day Thailand pass is making more sense. probably around Dec 1st, let the dust settle a bit. 

thanks for your time

1 hour ago, mitebbots said:

I had non-OA from US in 2019 and got extension for 2020 that was never used of course. 

I'd like to come back and would prefer multiple entry if possible, I'd like to be able to leave Thailand now and then. I probably will not be there full time, a few months a couple times a year. 

the STV looked even harder to get than the Non-OA,  or better yet an O when I arrive like you were saying?

on the LA thaiconsulate site for the non-OA they are saying "– an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht"

I do have a monthly pension that meets that. doesn't have to be deposited? I doubt that... 

I have an account at Bangkok Bank and can put 800k in there if needed.

30 day Thailand pass is making more sense. probably around Dec 1st, let the dust settle a bit. 

thanks for your time

Read @Salerno advice above. Good option for you.

As you have a Thai bank account will be very easy for you to use money in the bank method (retirement). 

As for travels of Thailand and back you can buy a reentry permit. 3800baht multiple entry.

Available at airport upon departure or at immigration.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks Salerno looks like the way to go

No worries, there's enough bureaucracy getting a Thailand Pass I see no reason to add to it with getting a visa when it's a simple process converting ... especially when your financial requirements are already set. Safe travels ????

• Like 2

@mitebbots As the good Dr mentioned above, reentry permit would see your plans right but just bear in mind you'd have to coordinate your trips around the annual extension anniversary.

I'm not sure how I would do it in your situation to be honest, really depends how long you intend staying each trip on whether or not it's worth tying up 800K, or dropping it in initially and work towards converting to monthly 65K in year two, or going with a tourist visa + extension + border hops (the current situation isn't going to be forever), or if money is no object I'd even consider Elite.

STV (for first 9 months) or O-A could suit your situation for the first couple of years, personally I don't like them for the extra imposition plus the extra paperwork isn't for me.

• Like 1

Hi Salerno

great information but only NITWP is finding the official list of SHA+ hotels. Until you can get that sorted you are stymied as you won’t get a Thailand Pass without evidence of a 1 night paid for booking including PCR test ????????

ive been asking on this and lots of other sites but no one has seen a list yet with prices and if they arrange the PCR test????

mid you can answer this one you will qualify as a” Diamond Geezer”

11 hours ago, Oxx said:

One plus of going down the visa exempt route is that you'll only have to buy 30 days' worth of the compulsory insurance.  If you already had a visa you'd have to buy insurance to its expiry date.

Yes but what happens about medical cover when.

I apply for 30 day extension OR apply for the Non-O

31 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Yes but what happens about medical cover when.

I apply for 30 day extension OR apply for the Non-O

No requirement for insurance for in-country extensions, only if you're incoming and for the duration you will be allowed to (initially) stay.
Exception is the NON-OA respectively extensions thereof where already before covid insurance became compulsory.

That's why - if you decide to go the extension route - coming in on a visa exempt is preferable, you convert this to a NON IMM-O and extend it then for your first 12 months etc. ...

Until further notice this will spare you the insuscam.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tosseroon said:

Hi Salerno

great information but only NITWP is finding the official list of SHA+ hotels. Until you can get that sorted you are stymied as you won’t get a Thailand Pass without evidence of a 1 night paid for booking including PCR test ????????

ive been asking on this and lots of other sites but no one has seen a list yet with prices and if they arrange the PCR test????

I already answered a post you made 12 hours ago ...

12 hours ago, Salerno said:

Pretty sure you've asked this question numerous times, in numerous threads and have been given the information you need. Not sure why you are making it so difficult.

The "official" list https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/index?type=2-Hotel, accommodation and Homestay (pretty useless for what you need).

Lists of accommodation that meets the requirements:

https://asq.in.th/?durationSelectedItem=1 Day

https://thaiest.com/blog/aq-hotel-1-night-packages

Can also check the usual places such as Agoda:

https://www.agoda.com/quarantineth

Edited by Salerno

13 hours ago, Oxx said:

One plus of going down the visa exempt route is that you'll only have to buy 30 days' worth of the compulsory insurance.  If you already had a visa you'd have to buy insurance to its expiry date.

What insurance companies will sell covid $50000 health insurance to over 75 year olds for up to one year stay?

OK One final piece of advice please.

If I have a return ticket with say a return date of 3 months after entry will I still get a Thai Pass for a visa on entry and indeed be allowed to enter by immigration (i ask this because Emirates will allow that ticket to be changed for up to 24 months after initial travel date so after getting the non imm-O (and a multiple re-entry stamp) I could use the return half later.

Immigration don't really care about return tickets (no issue getting the TP), the issue, if entering visa exempt, is the airline might not let you board without an onward ticket within 30 days.

Flying Emirates you get free insurance so in your shoes I'd probably get a return as far out as possible (maximise insurance coverage). Grab a throwaway onward ticket* to ensure no hassle at airport. Then you can amend the return flight at you convenience when needed.

* Basically a ticket that for all intents and purposes is real (if checked in the system), you just can't use it. Plenty of places out there for around $10-15 such as:

https://onward.flights/

https://bestonwardticket.com/

https://onwardticket.com/

https://onewayfly.com/

etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tosseroon said:

Hi Salerno

Agoda has list of approved hotels with prices and PCR test.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello previously I was advised:

"You wouldn't even need a tourist visa given that you have money in Thai bank in your name.

You could enter visa exempt and obtain a non O based on retirement. The 800k needs to be in the bank on the day you apply.

In the last 30 days of that period obtain a 12 month extension."

Can anyone tell me if during the 90 days of non O based on retirement (ie the period before the extension is applied for) I am allowed to leave the country and return - obviously with the appropriate re-entry visa?

Thank you.

On 11/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, DrJack54 said:

You wouldn't even need a tourist visa given that you have money in Thai bank in your name.

In the last 30 days of that period obtain a 12 month extension.

Simple process.

I have posted extension report today of that simple process in this forum.

I'm in a similar situation with money in Thai accounts for many years now and am looking to return back from UK and subsequently get a retirement visa soon.........On a thread yesterday, it was quoted by 2 posters (UbonJ, being one), that the 800K money needed to show that it had come from overseas........In my case, the money wasn't transferred from overseas, but was from deposits from within the Kingdom over many years..................I'm a tad confused as the link UJ attached seemed to indicate that the funds should have come from overseas....................any advice apreciated..................

52 minutes ago, bojo said:

I'm in a similar situation with money in Thai accounts for many years now and am looking to return back from UK and subsequently get a retirement visa soon......

If you can show that the money has been in the account for some period then would not need to show funds came from overseas.

I'm not aware how long "that period" of time is. However would not need to be years. Much less

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you can show that the money has been in the account for some period then would not need to show funds came from overseas.

I'm not aware how long "that period" of time is. However would not need to be years. Much less

Thank you very much Doc.................and whilst researching on the Royal Thai embassy website in London yesterday, I saw there is such a thing as an OX visa, namely needing 3 million THB in a Thai account for a 10 year long stay visa for over 50's..............................I have never heard of it mentioned on TV, didn't know this visa exisited............Would you know if it still exists and if so, do you have an opinion on whether this is a good visa to apply for for those that might be fortunate enough to be eligible?? The price was just a couple of hundred pounds I think, a far cry from the Elite cost..................

11 minutes ago, bojo said:

Thank you very much Doc.................and whilst researching on the Royal Thai embassy website in London yesterday, I saw there is such a thing as an OX visa, namely needing 3 million THB in a Thai account for a 10 year long stay visa for over 50's..............................I have never heard of it mentioned on TV, didn't know this visa exisited............Would you know if it still exists and if so, do you have an opinion on whether this is a good visa to apply for for those that might be fortunate enough to be eligible?? The price was just a couple of hundred pounds I think, a far cry from the Elite cost..................

You hardly ever hear on Non O-X.

The financials seem onerous.

I have never even met anyone that has had one.

In another thread there is a guy that had details as (think) he previously had a non OX.

Will try and find it and send you link.

I can only assume that they are not best option.

Edit: found thread where non O-X is discussed. 

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You hardly ever hear on Non O-X.

The financials seem onerous.

I have never even met anyone that has had one.

In another thread there is a guy that had details as (think) he previously had a non OX.

Will try and find it and send you link.

I can only assume that they are not best option.

Cheers for that...............this is what I was looking at yesterday, gotta scroll 2/3 way down..............

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

3 minutes ago, bojo said:

Cheers for that...............this is what I was looking at yesterday, gotta scroll 2/3 way down..............

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

I added thread link to my post.

There is chap in that thread that states that can obtain non O-X inside Thailand. I'm not convinced.