Jump to content

A Chicago woman who assisted in the murder of her mother is being deported to Indonesia

Recommended Posts



An American lady was securely escorted to the airport Tuesday for her deportation to the United States after being convicted of assisting in the murder of her mother on the Indonesian tourist island of Bali and stuffing the body into a bag.

Heather Mack, 26, was released on Friday after serving seven and a half years of a ten-year sentence.
Her then-boyfriend, who was also convicted in the murder, received an 18-year term and is still in prison.

In August 2014, her mother, affluent Chicago socialite Sheila von Wiese-Mack, was discovered horribly beaten inside a suitcase inside the trunk of a cab parked at the luxurious St. Regis Bali Resort.


For years, the murder drew national and worldwide attention, thanks in part to photos of the bag, which appeared to be far too small to house an adult woman's body.

Mack, who was almost 19 and pregnant at the time, and her then-21-year-old boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, were apprehended the next day after being discovered at a hotel around 10 kilometres (6 miles) from the St. Regis.


Stella Schaefer, their daughter, was born just before her parents were convicted in 2015.
She was allowed to remain with her mother in her Kerobokan female jail cell until she was two, at which point Mack entrusted care of her young daughter to an Australian woman until her release.

Mack had not seen her daughter in over 20 months until she was released on Friday, when authorities banned jail visits due to the coronavirus outbreak.


Mack's attorney, Yulius Benyamin Seran, previously stated that Mack had requested that the daughter, who is now six years old, remain with her foster family in order to escape media attention in the United States.
Indonesian regulations, on the other hand, were adamant.

"When their mothers are deported, minors must be accompanied by their mothers."
"There is no policy that enables a mother to leave her minor child here," Amrizal, the Bali immigration office's chief, said.

Mack's sentence was reduced by 34 months as a result of reductions that are sometimes awarded to prisoners on major holidays for good behaviour.


Mack spent four days in an immigration detention centre after being freed, waiting for her trip tickets and travel paperwork to arrive.

Immigration officers led her to Bali's airport for her travel to Jakarta.

Jamaruli Manihuruk, the head of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights' Bali regional office, stated she will fly Delta Air Lines from Jakarta to Chicago.
According to him, his office has requested that Mack be barred from entering Indonesia for the rest of his life.

Mack reportedly had a tumultuous connection with her mother, with police being called to the family's Oak Park, Illinois, home dozens of times, according to officials in the United States.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...