current border hop situation

37 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

I seriously doubt they will take the time to

37 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

It's your body no matter what country you are in.

check each passenger's paperwork for location of PCR test.

They did at LAX.  By two Airline Employees. 

But your body was on a plane with other people that just left Thailand.  Based upon your hypothetical scenario you would technically  have entered another country and would have to check-in again for your planned flight back to Thailand.

Therefore (however short this time was) you were exposed to others in another country.  Hence a PCR Test should be done in the country where you check-in from and not from the country where you departed from.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

But your body was on a plane with other people that just left Thailand.  Based upon your hypothetical scenario you would technically  have entered another country and would have to check-in again for your planned flight back to Thailand.

Therefore (however short this time was) you were exposed to others in another country.  Hence a PCR Test should be done in the country where you check-in from and not from the country where you departed from.  

I don't think the fact that the persons I would be exposed to are residents of another country is relevant.  If that were the case, people would need to take a new PCR test when they are at a long layover in a transit airport.  Imagine how many people from how many different countries they are exposed to in that scenario.  A plane is filled with passengers of both types, initial departure passengers and in-transit passengers.  In-transit passengers will check in with PCR tests done in countries other than the departure country.  Unless it specifically states in the ticket's fine print that the PCR test has to be from the country of departure, I'm not worrying about it.  I think the "transit scenario" makes in impossible for airlines to enforce the requirement you describe.

45 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

I don't think the fact that the persons I would be exposed to are residents of another country is relevant.  If that were the case, people would need to take a new PCR test when they are at a long layover in a transit airport.  Imagine how many people from how many different countries they are exposed to in that scenario.  A plane is filled with passengers of both types, initial departure passengers and in-transit passengers.  In-transit passengers will check in with PCR tests done in countries other than the departure country.  Unless it specifically states in the ticket's fine print that the PCR test has to be from the country of departure, I'm not worrying about it.  I think the "transit scenario" makes in impossible for airlines to enforce the requirement you describe.

Well good luck on your adventure.  I have exited and entered Thailand twice in 2021.  Of course this was under the old COE process and both times the COE was approved(after multiple rejections) by an employee at the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles.  The process always took longer than I had planned for.  Therefore, a tight time frame may not be a good idea.  Really do not know if the Thailand Pass is quicker or smoother. 

The part that I am most interested in is if you can actually board a flight to Thailand from let's say Colombo or Kathmandu with a PCR test that was done in Bangkok?   

Edited by sqwakvfr

22 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

looks like we can border bounce (well kind off) to Cambodia starting from now? Well maybe need to actually fly into Phnom Pehn and flight back to bkk again, but almost a border bounce.

Have you thought that through.

Border bounce means reenter visa exempt. 

Via air that would require onward flight coming back from Cambodia. 

Let's add the total cost up.

Which airline? Hope it's not Bangkok Airlines.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have you thought that through.

Border bounce means reenter visa exempt. 

Via air that would require onward flight coming back from Cambodia. 

Let's add the total cost up.

Which airline? Hope it's not Bangkok Airlines.

well compared to bouncing back via Heathrow in London, id say its a bit of a saving

36 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

looks like we can border bounce (well kind off) to Cambodia starting from now? Well maybe need to actually fly into Phnom Pehn and flight back to bkk again, but almost a border bounce.

What do you want gain by leaving and re-entering the country.

I might be best to plan on getting a visa while there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

well compared to bouncing back via Heathrow in London, id say its a bit of a saving

If someone has that level of need to remain in Thailand they would be best advised to use an agent.

Even agent options may be limited but the plan you suggest is costly and very short term.

A tourist visa obtained in PP isn't a cake walk. Many use agent and takes longer than overnight as per Vietnam.

No one knows what the requirements will be for land border entries in near future.

Also yet to be seen is immigration at airports attitude to ongoing living in Thailand with using back to back tourist visas with extensions. 

You may recall huge tightening of that prior to covid.

Folk choosing to fly into CM instead of DMK etc. 

Consulates placing limit on tourist visas. 

Few horror stories of refused entry at Thai airport. 

If your under 50 and unmarried to a Thai then it's possible options in future limited. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 6:30 AM, DrJack54 said:

Think you will find that it's not for the duration of stay.

It's required for the period that you will be stamped in for.

That's down to how you enter be it visa exempt, tourist visa, reentry permit etc.

Doesn’t that amount to the same thing in practice ?

I am on a retirement extension recently renewed, so if I left tomorrow and returned in say a month I would have to have insurance until the retirement extension expires in November next year.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:25 PM, STD Warehouse said:

sweet. Phnom Penh trip report please ????

12 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Doesn’t that amount to the same thing in practice ?

I am on a retirement extension recently renewed, so if I left tomorrow and returned in say a month I would have to have insurance until the retirement extension expires in November next year.

There seems some confusion about all this.

Recently in a thread (maybe even this one) ....someone posted a Facebook statement from Richard Barrow. Something along lines that people such as yourself...

Meaning extension situation and living in Thailand would require 30 day insurance for reentry to Thailand.

I haven't kept up with this. Something needs to be sorted out. 

IMO 30 day insurance cover makes sense for those on annual extensions. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 11/8/2021 at 8:25 PM, sqwakvfr said:

LAX is in a class of their own. never going back there if I can possibly avoid it. so unwelcoming. I'm an Aussie by the way, we're close allies with the US and their war machine wouldn't work without the Pine Gap, Narrungar etc so naturally I expect the red carpet treatment instead of the suspicion. oh well, plenty of other third-world countries to visit instead ????

On 11/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, STD Warehouse said:

No need to be bouncing anywhere .you should be using the covid extensions for as long as their been offered.,enjoy them while they last.