current border hop situation

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only for entries by air. By land it is still a 14 day quarantine.

You would have to check what other countries require for entry.

Thats what I mean, fly to one of these countries then fly back to bangkok, like can i fly into any of these countries by air then fly back after say 5 days?

• Like 1

There is no way yet to make a quick trip to a nearby country and return. However, if fully vaccinated, it is worth keeping a close eye on developments in Singapore and Cambodia (specifically Phnom Penh). If Covid cases in Thailand drop, there is a good chance of non quarantine entry to these countries opening up sooner rather than later.

The Good Old Days of "border hopping" are probably over.  The last time I did a one day trip to anywhere was Malaysia in 2019.  Some borders are open and many are still closed.  Hopping out and back into Thailand will be difficult because(especially through the air)  it could take up to 7 days to get the Thailand Pass approved, ensure that one has the proper insurance and get the Covid 19 PCR test.  I have an Non Imm OA Visa and in the "good old days" hopping out and in would get me an additional year stamped in my passport but not anymore.  I have left and entered Thailand twice in 2021 and both times it was proverbial 'pain in the ass" to get all the steps completed(then it was the COE process).  Personally I do not intend to leave Thailand unless I absolutely need to.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is no way yet to make a quick trip to a nearby country and return. However, if fully vaccinated, it is worth keeping a close eye on developments in Singapore and Cambodia (specifically Phnom Penh). If Covid cases in Thailand drop, there is a good chance of non quarantine entry to these countries opening up sooner rather than later.

okay ,seems like a no go plan then, thanks

19 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The Good Old Days of "border hopping" are probably over.  The last time I did a one day trip to anywhere was Malaysia in 2019.  Some borders are open and many are still closed.  Hopping out and back into Thailand will be difficult because(especially through the air)  it could take up to 7 days to get the Thailand Pass approved, ensure that one has the proper insurance and get the Covid 19 PCR test.  I have an Non Imm OA Visa and in the "good old days" hopping out and in would get me an additional year stamped in my passport but not anymore.  I have left and entered Thailand twice in 2021 and both times it was proverbial 'pain in the ass" to get all the steps completed(then it was the COE process).  Personally I do not intend to leave Thailand unless I absolutely need to.  

Also on an O-A Retirement. Watching for being able to leave, return Visa Exempt and the apply for the O Visa for Retirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Also on an O-A Retirement. Watching for being able to leave, return Visa Exempt and the apply for the O Visa for Retirement.

Like wise, here on O-A leaving March 3, 2022, doing first O-A extension end of this month - health insurance to June 2022, returning Visa Exempt or a Non O at Thai Embassy home country.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

returning Visa Exempt or a Non O at Thai Embassy home country.....

I realize clearly your aware of your options.

Given that you have been doing extensions and bank account and financials all in place, I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just enter visa exempt. You could basically obtain your non O shortly after arrival. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I realize clearly your aware of your options.

Given that you have been doing extensions and bank account and financials all in place, I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just enter visa exempt. You could basically obtain your non O shortly after arrival. 

I guess the visa exempt is a lot less hassle with the Thailand Pass / COE <deleted>. Is there an issue with a one way ticket without a visa ? No idea what Thai entry requirements will be like in July or August 2022 when I should be returning, thanks....

15 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Is there an issue with a one way ticket without a visa ?

Thats always the catch 22 for visa exempt entry. It's only an issue for obtaining boarding pass at departure. On arrival immigration not interested in your onward flight.

An onward ticket maybe/likely required by airline.

Options of cheapest throw away ticket or sites such as "rent a flight" are cheap and satisfy the requirements.

Just looking at the TP threads I would want to keep visa side of things as simple as possible.

As you point out both options (visa exempt or obtain non O) will work.

When land borders open it's a no brainer. Exit to kill off the non O-A and reenter visa exempt.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

VIETNAM is opening soon see article in the unmentiobale "other " paper in Bangkok, groups now to limited 5 cities $50k insurance(which you may need to re enete rhere, depending on status,so no extra cost) and non group tours from Jan is ther plan.

see also 

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/vietnam-welcome-more-vaccinated-travellers-december-2021-10-06/

Asde from health risks, there may be changes to rules while travelling, locked into Vietnam or out of here?

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The info here for after clicking  Malaysia appears to say no. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.41a182fe65c71494d54fa42acf78fe4f.png

Malaysia plan full reopening within 3 months of the 15 november, however they are reviewing it every two weeks, a minister was quoted as saying if the first two weeks go well KL could be open by early December - I think thats probably a tad optimistic though, maybe new year

17 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Presumably on your return you would still need to have the $US 50,000 Health Cover for the duration of your stay in Thailand?

Think you will find that it's not for the duration of stay.

It's required for the period that you will be stamped in for.

That's down to how you enter be it visa exempt, tourist visa, reentry permit etc.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is only for entries by air. By land it is still a 14 day quarantine. (...)

Is it the same for Thai citizens? A friend of mine (Thai) tried to enter, using 'Thailand Pass'. However, due to problems with Malaysian vaccination app, will now be forced to travel overland via Hat Yai, rather than flying. - Is it (still) 14 days quarantine?

51 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Is it the same for Thai citizens? A friend of mine (Thai) tried to enter, using 'Thailand Pass'. However, due to problems with Malaysian vaccination app, will now be forced to travel overland via Hat Yai, rather than flying. - Is it (still) 14 days quarantine?

By land or sea it is 14 days.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 1:56 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Hopping out and back into Thailand will be difficult because(especially through the air)  it could take up to 7 days to get the Thailand Pass approved, ensure that one has the proper insurance and get the Covid 19 PCR test. 

Couldn't someone apply for the Thailand Pass from within Thailand, fly to a green listed country with short or no quarantine requirements (e.g. Nepal, Sri Lanka) and the next day reenter Thailand with visa exempt?  You seem to be saying the Thailand Pass would have to be applied for from outside Thailand.  The COVID insurance should be valid for both countries.  If you time it right, the PCR test you take to fly out of Thailand will still be valid to reenter Thailand.  What am I missing?

11 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

Couldn't someone apply for the Thailand Pass from within Thailand, fly to a green listed country with short or no quarantine requirements (e.g. Nepal, Sri Lanka) and the next day reenter Thailand with visa exempt?  You seem to be saying the Thailand Pass would have to be applied for from outside Thailand.  The COVID insurance should be valid for both countries.  If you time it right, the PCR test you take to fly out of Thailand will still be valid to reenter Thailand.  What am I missing?

Wow, this scenario is possible but highly improbable.  

1. To apply for the TP one must be a citizen or resident of the country where the specific Thai Embassy is located. So if you are a citizen or resident of Sri Lanka or Nepal then it can be done? Maybe?

2. You mention both Sri Lanka and Nepal where currently no quarantine requirements are stated but things change rapidly.  

3. Hypothetically speaking let's say you get a PCR Test in Bangkok on a Monday and the result comes back on Tuesday and you fly out Tuesday night and land at your destination on Wednesday morning. Do you believe at check-in in order to return the airline is not going to see that your PCR Test was performed in Thailand.?  I believe for predeparture PCR tests it must have been conducted in the same country? 

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow, this scenario is possible but highly improbable.  

1. To apply for the TP one must be a citizen or resident of the country where the specific Thai Embassy is located.

2. You mention both Sri Lanka and Nepal where currently no quarantine requirements are stated but things change rapidly.  

3. Hypothetically speaking let's say you get a PCR Test in Bangkok on a Monday and the result comes back on Tuesday and you fly out Tuesday night and land at your destination on Wednesday morning. Do you believe at check-in in order to return the airline is not going to see that your PCR Test was performed in Thailand.?  I believe for predeparture PCR tests it must have been conducted in the same country? 

1. Are you sure that you have to be a citizen or resident?  That was not the case under COE.  I was a tourist in Germany and applied for the COE at a German consulate.

2. Things may change rapidly, but they are trending toward opening.  I am more optimistic every month.

3. Why would it matter what country the predeparture PCR test was conducted?  It's your body no matter what country you are in.

When I flew into Thailand in September, no one really looked at the paperwork (Insurance, PCR test, or ticket out of Thailand)  that I handed them, at the initial departure (Frankfurt) or at the transit (Doha) check in.  They are just going through the motions.  If the documentation is in English , it will not stand out as being from Thailand.  I seriously doubt they will take the time to check each passenger's paperwork for location of PCR test.