internet on darkside.

p414

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I've been using this method when I lived in Sweden for the last two years. 

Has worked perfectly. 

Why should it be different from a line connection. 

If the provider has capacity it doesn't matter if it's wireless or not. 

This is a great solution instead of cable or fiber especially if you live out in the sticks. 

I can use it anywhere I have cellular coverage. 

I pay less than 100 baht per month for unlimited internet. 

I have a bachelor's degree in computer science. 

I think it partially depends on the capacity of the tower as well.  So every location is different depending what tower you are hitting.

Anyways, unlimited plans on 3-4-5G is generally not a good thing.  More often than not it ends up causing the cell sites to become congested.  Especially during peak hours.  Most so called 'unlimited' plans I have seen have small print that says anything over a certain amount per month and they will start throttling you.

Edited by shdmn

14 hours ago, shdmn said:

I think it partially depends on the capacity of the tower as well.  So every location is different depending what tower you are hitting.

Anyways, unlimited plans on 3-4-5G is generally not a good thing.  More often than not it ends up causing the cell sites to become congested.  Especially during peak hours.  Most so called 'unlimited' plans I have seen have small print that says anything over a certain amount per month and they will start throttling you.

Please don't make things up, presenting your imagination as fact:

Most so called 'unlimited' plans I have seen have small print that says anything over a certain amount per month and they will start throttling you.

Post even a single example of an unlimited 1/2/4/10/20 Mbps package that states what you suggest.

21 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I was surprised of the speed on this TOT 1 year unlimited SIM I got.

40-50 Mbps is way better than expected.

We know that you are really excited about your new SIM. ????

Is this it?

https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-ปี-nt-wireless-net-Thunder-999-i.235326805.3979061813 

If so, why did you choose to pay more than the allotted price? Different SIM?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Seems the seller charged you a bit more than necessary.  Nonetheless, still very good value by the looks of it.

The price I pay because Lazada has better English website. ????

I'm at work now and have only two bars on my reception.

13 Mbps.

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

The price I pay because Lazada has better English website. ????

I'm at work now and have only two bars on my reception.

13 Mbps.

The TOT office is not far away from the Darkside. I would pick one up if I thought they would have good reception where I live. Doubtful.

• Like 1

TOT and CAT amalgamated last year to form NT (National Telecom), although CAT still handles my Internet and I deal with the CAT office.

I was worried that the service would deteriorate because TOT customer service was always dismal, but fortunately it is still high. Apart from good internet, the best of CAT is that I have personal contact with a manager in the office who handles my account (who knows me by name) and get instant email replies to any concerns I have. One time there was a problem on Saturday and technicians turned up on Sunday morning. My manager even bartered with head office to get me a faster service for the same money, and free Mesh Wifi routers, as I have been a long term customer.

They must have CAT/NT on the Darkside. I would check it out.

Here's what I get for 850 baht/month (incl tax). A 2 - 3 GB movie would take about a minute or 2 to download. Usually these days I download high def movies of about 5 - 10 GB in no time flat. I have never been throttled on download speed.

295126025_CATspeedtest.png.e30998c19d547daf815a200b4350f2b8.png

The service is rated 1000/500 Mbps. I never reach 1000, but it's close enough. If you use such a service, check your cables as some will only carry 100 Mbps. Look for CAT 6 cables. I rout this over the house with Mesh Wifi and get super fast internet on all my devices throughout a 250m2 floor plan.

Edited by JensenZ

On 11/4/2021 at 5:29 AM, Ninafarm said:

I live on the Darkside and had True Online till I got rid of it about 6 months ago. I had no internet for over a week and after many phone calls they finally sent a guy who went up a pole across from my house, and instantly my internet was working, but he never came to my house to explain or confirm that it was working. Over the years I had similar problems with them,, they just don't seem to care. So I quit them and signed up with AIS, , they are cheaper and the internet is excellent. I strongly suggest you check out AIS.  

Thanks .I will try that. I too am not happy with True's service.

10 hours ago, p414 said:

Thanks .I will try that. I too am not happy with True's service.

It does seem to vary depending on the area. On the whole they have been OK in my area, North of town. When there are issues it is invariably out on the network and now and again I get a call back asking if it is OK now. They have some people who speak English quite well which is often not the case here.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, Will B Good said:

I am paying 635 baht??? What speed do you have? I am running at around 440 mbps (if those are the correct units)

We are on the darkside ,3bb is great pay 1070 baht a  month and get loads of tv stations as well ,years ago true was ok ,now its rubbish

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 4:10 AM, JensenZ said:

Here's what I get for 850 baht/month (incl tax). A 2 - 3 GB movie would take about a minute or 2 to download.

Have you tried it..... because I doubt you will download it directly from 'NT Bangrak'......

Hi Jack..I had the technicians here and they changed my router.

It also appears that my youtube downloader cuts my speed for downloading [not TRUE] .

I tried another [green tree] and that is also slow download/I guess they do this so I will have to buy 'PRO'..

Do you or anyone have a recommendation for a free Y.T. downloader?

Thanks all for your helpful response.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:41 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Never tried this illicit cheapskate movie or sports “streaming” business.

seen it in pubs, bars & homes. disruptive & annoying.

clearly too difficult,time -heavy, unreliable, poor quality, etc.

Why do people bother with it ? Saves a few pennies I suppose….at what time / emotion cost though ?

3BB 5G Home Wifi is 1400 baht monthly; convenient, reliable, for Paying Guests.

AIS 4G on Iphone / Ipad ; cheapest slowest is 210 baht month. Back Up to & Avoids Wifi.

Subscribe to Netflix / Amazon / Apple+ / Cinema for Movies & TV Series on Ipad.

Dont play their Rental/ Buy games.

Subscribe to True Sat TV for English Live Football & Rugby & Paying Guests 

That Does for Myself. Not Cheap but neither am I.

The above reply is more irrelevant, judgemental nonesense because

downloading is not streaming! Neither streaming or downloading are necessarily illicit.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 6:42 AM, jacko45k said:

Have you tried it..... because I doubt you will download it directly from 'NT Bangrak'......

Ever the joker...

I download a lot of movies and TV packs, of 10 - 30 GB. Allow me to elaborate so you might understand how it works.

You should know what the specs of Internet packages are, and what they mean. They are rated as the maximum download/upload speed to servers in Thailand. It's the absolute most speed you can get.

I download 2- 3 GB moves very fast, but not at 900 (or so) Mbps which is 112.5 MB/s (divide by 8). If I got the full movie download speed on torrents of 112.5 MB/s, it would take exactly 26.7 seconds to download a 3 GB movie. Go back and read my post. I said 2 - 3 GB in a minute or two. I can reach download speeds of 20 - 30 MB/s on many healthy torrents (the number of people seeding a torrent is most important). Assuming a download speed of 30 MB/s, that would take 100 seconds to download 3 GB and 150 seconds at a slower speed of 20 MB/s.... and we also talking about 2 GB, so most certainly it takes a minute or two.

... therefore my estimate is right on the money. 

Edited by JensenZ

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Very impressive. 

Let's assume you are not joking or trolling, and just had difficulty understanding what I posted. Slim chance, but I'll take it.

26.6 seconds is the speed of downloading a 3 GB file if you are getting a full 900 Mbps speed at your bittorrent client and the torrent has ample seeders. I get a max of around 30 MB/s, which is 240 Mbps and it would take 100 seconds, hence my comment that I can download a 2 - 3 GB movie in 1 or 2 minutes. As it happens, a lot of files will take longer due to the torrent not being "healthy". Either way, I have movies to watch in about the same time as it takes to prepare a cup of instant coffee. Using my Mesh Wifi routers (2 provided free of charge), I have enough speed to stream 2160p video anywhere in the house.

Think of it like this. You're driving a Bugatti Chiron, which has a top speed of about 490 km/h, on a congested freeway, where your maximum possible speed is 90 km/h.

This discourse started as a recommendation to get NT Internet (ex-CAT) if you want reliability. I've used CAT since 2006, at which time my max speed was 2/1 Mbps. They used to be much more expensive than their competitors, but they have now caught up in speed for price, and have much better customer service. 

still have much better service.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Let's assume you are not joking or trolling, and just had difficulty understanding what I posted. Slim chance, but I'll take it.

I have not downloaded either a movie or series for a long time.... from back when I used Kodi... an exercise in frustration. I have never ever used torrents..... my failing I guess. I did not retire to Thailand to sit watching movies all the time or downloading stuff..... although it could have been useful during all this Covid restrictions. My True fibre gives me 500Mb/s:.500Mb/s, of course to some server in Chonburi, and that figure means nothing much really. In 2008 or so I used to have TOT ADSL which I thought was associated with CAT. They were awful, terrible customer service and I dropped them as soon as options were wired up my street. 

I stream stuff ex-UK now and again.... starts giving me issues from 5pm onwards. Interposing a VPN seems to help but by no means eliminates the spinning clock. 

I think we have bored enough people here now. 

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Think of it like this. You're driving a Bugatti Chiron, which has a top speed of about 490 km/h, on a congested freeway, where your maximum possible speed is 90 km/h.

When I drive my  Bugatti Chiron I never come up in that speed.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have not downloaded either a movie or series for a long time.... from back when I used Kodi... an exercise in frustration. I have never ever used torrents..... my failing I guess. I did not retire to Thailand to sit watching movies all the time or downloading stuff..... although it could have been useful during all this Covid restrictions. My True fibre gives me 500Mb/s:.500Mb/s, of course to some server in Chonburi, and that figure means nothing much really. In 2008 or so I used to have TOT ADSL which I thought was associated with CAT. They were awful, terrible customer service and I dropped them as soon as options were wired up my street. 

I stream stuff ex-UK now and again.... starts giving me issues from 5pm onwards. Interposing a VPN seems to help but by no means eliminates the spinning clock. 

I think we have bored enough people here now. 

I have downloaded bittorrents for 15 years, so I have downloaded a few terrabytes by now. I don't spend my retirement watching movies (if that is what you're implying) and spend most of my time online trading, so I need the best possible connection I can get with no compromise to save a few baht. Disconnections at the wrong times can cost money. In fact, a few years ago I was paying over 5000 baht for my (at the time) fast fiber. 500/500 has significant meaning as it's your starting point to get the fastest International speeds possible. If you start lower, you'll end up with less speed.

I don't know how good your True 500/500 service is vs CAT. They're probably about the same, but it's the CAT service I appreciate.,

High speed movie downloads is a convenient advantage to a good connection, but not the reason I got it. When I've finished my work, I look for something to watch and get it quickly. If I don't like one movie, I trash it and get another, and another. Quick is great. It's much better to download than stream. I tried Netfilx for awhile, but there's no need. I can get everything I want when I want it, for free. The navigation through movies that are streamed is cumbersome vs downloaded copies that are on your PC... and of course you don't get a spinning clock, and can watch even when your connection is down (if that ever occurs).

TOT were never affiliated with CAT. They amalgamated last year to form "NT Telecom". I also have used TOT, and agree their service was extremely poor. I've also TT&T and 3BB (TT&T was 3BB before they changed names). In fact, my experience with TOT was so bad that when I got the letter explaining the amalgamation and name change, the first thing I did was email my account manager. I was dreadfully concerned that the service level would drop.

17 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

When I drive my  Bugatti Chiron I never come up in that speed.

LOL. You would never attempt that on a public road. You'd need to be an experienced race driver on a special, very long, straight race track.

You can grab one in Thailand (cheaper model) for only 113,600,000 baht (about 3.5 million USD) and test it out. https://www.ccarprice.com/th/bugatti-chiron-car-price-in-thailand-398

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

These days you can just stream any movie or TV series.

Downloading is going the way of DVD's and VHS.

Not at all. It's far better than streaming and is not going anywhere. It's faster to get what you want, and you have a much larger selection... and you don't need to log into a streaming service. There's a lot of older, good stuff you will never find on streaming services.

Edited by JensenZ

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Not at all. It's far better than streaming and is not going anywhere. It's faster to get what you want, and you have a much larger selection... and you don't need to log into a streaming service. There's a lot of older, good stuff you will never find on streaming services.

To each his own.

I'm more of YouTube guy anyways.

Hopefully you get your WiFi going.

Enjoy your weekend!

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

To each his own.

I'm more of YouTube guy anyways.

Hopefully you get your WiFi going.

Enjoy your weekend!

There's no problem with my wifi, but if you have fast fiber connection, with LAN straight to your PC, it's not a matter of "each to his own", but what is better. Having a movie ON your hard drive is far superior to streaming it. My PC is connected to my TV. I'm also a YouTube guy but you don't have to be one or the other - you can be both. I wouldn't watch movies on YouTube though, preferring HD or Ultra HD on the big screen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It's not far better and it's not faster; it's an alternative.

For instance; you can stream directly from a Torrent. So same selection. Also if you can stream directly from a torrent, you can have many movies lined up without needing to download them.

Without your fast connection, it would be very inconvenient to have five or ten different media lined up.

I don't need a fast connection to do that and my movies are ready to watch even faster than you could download them on your fast connection.

In fact, I can source media via Torrent and have it ready to play directly on my TV in under thirty seconds in many cases. No need to download at all. My TV can only play Full HD; so I am referring to Full HD media.

Downloading is good for archiving.

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

There's no problem with my wifi, but if you have fast fiber connection, with LAN straight to your PC, it's not a matter of "each to his own", but what is better. Having a movie ON your hard drive is far superior to streaming it. My PC is connected to my TV. I'm also a YouTube guy but you don't have to be one or the other - you can be both. I wouldn't watch movies on YouTube though, preferring HD or Ultra HD on the big screen.

Check out Troypoint.com.

He's got some excellent tutorials on streaming apps.  Just interesting if you have a few minutes.

With your speed you could stream them easily in 4k.

For me I watch a movie maybe twice a year.

I like documentaries and watching Bob the Train with my 2 year old son.

I'd like to download some cartoons on USB stick for long drives.

Downloading torrents could get you in trouble in the West.  But surely nobody cares here in Southeast Asia.

Enjoy your movie library!

Hope you have a giant TV!

On 11/8/2021 at 6:42 AM, jacko45k said:

I have 3bb fibre 1000/500 Bt700/m and can download just as quoted above 3gb file in 1-2mins, I have hit speeds of over 60Mbs, it is lightning fast

If the OP can get fibre on the DS then don't waste your time with anything else

On 11/12/2021 at 8:19 AM, MrJ2U said:

These days you can just stream any movie or TV series.

Downloading is going the way of DVD's and VHS.

you are limited to provider bandwidth and quality - which is a real problem, I could never watch video streaming at FHD (720) resolution on a 65" TV it is just poor and hard to watch, 1080p is the bare minimum and preferred 4k