Bangkok’s Scala Theatre demolition breaks hearts of Thai film fans

snoop1130

IMG_9993.jpg

Photo from www.bkkmenu.com

The once-famous “Scala Theatre”, in operation for 54 years in Bangkok’s Siam Square, was demolished earlier this week. It was a heart-breaking moment for local film fans.

The capital’s only independent, single screen cinema closed its curtains for the final time last year.

The demolition, which began on Monday, came after Central Pattana Public Company ended its leasehold of the Block A building, during which they have paid 5.9 billion baht to the property management arm of Chulalongkorn University.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-scala-theatre-demolition-breaks-hearts-of-thai-film-fans/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 4

They've cut down every old tree in the city. Why not? I mean there are no malls in that area.

When authorization government meets monopolistic corporations guess what the end result is...

I have some very good memories of that place from early 90s.

Edited by Chad3000

Sad to see the movie theater gone, but I am also sad that the Scala Restaurant on the ground floor is gone with it. It was like stepping into a movie set from the 70’s,  and they served the best Peking Duck in town.

A disaster. The foyer was amazing. A few years ago there was a film made about that cinema and the workers behind it all that brought tears to my eyes. I don't remember how or where I saw it but think it might have been part of a film festival. I cannot find it mentioned on the internet. Anybody have any idea how to find it?