Insomnia

ChaiyaTH

Since covid and measures took ages I have developed insomnia and stress somehow.

I can’t sleep before it is nearly sunrise for months now and essentially adapted to a bar girl lifestyle (while bars are closed).

Anyone who experienced the same or has some tips to get rid of it? I have tried so many things including staying up to sleep at normal hours again, works a few days to be back with the same.

Personally it doesn’t bother me much as i work flexible but it does affect family life obviously. While writing this its 3:30AM again, attempted to sleep since midnight.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, James Roderick said:

Hi Chia

Yes me too. I also now suffer from insomnia. My whole body clock is now out-of-kilter. I stay awake until early morning, and then doze for a few hours, sometime waking at midday.  Its quite strange. I've never experienced this sort of sleep pattern before !!       

Yes it is totally new for me too, even it has been for some months now. I tried anything, im not old either (as many people do seem to get this when older).

I just cant get rid of it and it annoys me as hell, I sometimes also manage to fall a slee as you write and then wake up again to not sleep til 7-8AM. Being exhausted by that time I do pass out and miss most of the day waking up by 3PM…

Clueless to it, tried drinking, medicine, workouts, walking, anything… All this while i used to be the perfect sleeper.

I do not have financial issues or family stress either that could explain it. Everything is just fine, aside covid.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yes it is totally new for me too, even it has been for some months now. I tried anything, im not old either (as many people do seem to get this when older).

I just cant get rid of it and it annoys me as hell, I sometimes also manage to fall a slee as you write and then wake up again to not sleep til 7-8AM. Being exhausted by that time I do pass out and miss most of the day waking up by 3PM…

Clueless to it, tried drinking, medicine, workouts, walking, anything… All this while i used to be the perfect sleeper.

Did you get the AZ jab? How long after getting vaccinated  did you develop insomnia ?   I had the AZ jab a month or two ago, I'm due for my 2nd jab next week. Initially I didn't notice any reaction - but  for  the last couple of weeks I've been having real problems getting to sleep.  I wonder if the vaccination is causing this problem?   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, James Roderick said:

Did you get the AZ jab? How long after getting vaccinated  did you develop insomnia ?   I had the AZ jab a month or two ago, I'm due for my 2nd jab next week. Initially I didn't notice any reaction - but  for  the last couple of weeks I've been having real problems getting to sleep.  I wonder if the vaccination is causing this problem?   

Well i do not want to get into conspiracy but likewise…. AZ jabs too. 

But somehow i do think it is something else. I was sick to death after my second jab too.

I never had health issues and disliked being forced on this <deleted>.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, James Roderick said:

I'm not sure this is for real - but its interesting nevertheless !!

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2021/01/26/exclusive-side-effects-from-vaccine-control-group-revealed/

EXCLUSIVE: Side Effects From Vaccine Control Group Revealed

Worse and Shortened Sleep

It is reported that between 52% and 57% of recipients of the vaccine have seen both a shorter than usual amount of sleep, and lower quality of sleep. One recipient claimed that they “are going to bed hours later than usual” and that they “don’t even feel like they can get more done in the day.”

It is believed that this side-effect may not only be caused outright but worsened by the further problems listed below.

I knew i should have remained anti vaxxer. No joke. And now they even want booster shots in germany and netherlands…. Not taking any more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I knew i should have remained anti vaxxer. No joke. And now they even want booster shots in germany and netherlands…. Not taking any more.

I'm not sure that article is legit - it may well be a student prank. But at the moment. I'm not really sure. What I do know is I can't sleep. I'll go back to bed and give it another try . Good night and god luck 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James Roderick said:

I'm not sure that article is legit - it may well be a student prank. But at the moment. I'm not really sure. What I do know is I can't sleep. I'll go back to bed and give it another try . Good night and god luck 

Likewise, clueless to what the issue is, I did do a checkup as well and everything is good…. Good night and morning soon.

2 minutes ago, olfu said:

I used to work irregular hours which disrupted normal sleep cycle.

The way I fixed it was simple--I manipulated my brain by some kind of meditation.

I have been working insane hours until 4-5 months ago too, but normally this would never be an issue, certainly not so long after.

Its like im stuck in Euro timezone while i havent been there for 4 years.

Tried anything from healthy to no coffee to weed and pills, no results except for the night.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Not slept well in years. Go camping... exercise, swimming, fresh air. Sleep great.

I teach and having your act together prior to going on stage or making a complete ass of yourself - I go with the former.

The teaching day is over, a scotch and I'm dead and gone by 830 waking up at sometime between 2 and 4am even weekends.

Teaching was supposed to be a hobby. At least I'm being paid well and I'll retire in a few years (a second time).

Laying about in lockdown, lack of reasonable exercise can't help.

Covid has brought lots of stress in general. Work, family in US. Wife and I have suffered it remarkably well.

I'm burned out and can't write lessons. I have to force myself to work in bursts over holidays and breaks.

In US I was always in bed at 10 and up at 530. School + covid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I do not have financial issues or family stress either that could explain it. Everything is just fine, aside covid.

Are you busy during the day? Active? If I don't have a beach or am traveling I go a bit nuts.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Are you busy during the day? Active? If I don't have a beach or am traveling I go a bit nuts.

Much less now you say so, specially since in Bangkok while lockdown half a year. 

I guess the lockdown made me sick, happy im soon back in the mountains.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, justmaybe said:

Selling cures for insomnia must be least the third or fourth oldest profession. 

Chronic insomnia can present itself overnight and outlast just about every non medical routine or remedy and many of the medical ones. Age is not a requirement. 

I was surprised (not unpleasantly) to find a sleep medication prescribed in the Kingdom after surgery.  for a broken wrist.

Vax anti-vaxx argument everywhere still? Sweet Jesu, sure, that will do until the air gets thick enough to blame things on. 

Silly finishing, to not suspect a vaxx to not have side effects and worse is quite insane instead. Almost every previous vaxx did have them, that is why it normally takes so long to regulate them and hence the emergency use only policy worldwide.

Anyway, as stated before, im not looking at the vaxx as a reason but it could be, just as it can cause many things we already found out and will find out. 

To not even be critical at all, is really worrying IMO. To think its absolutely safe is simply stupid, only time will confirm that.

I brought back two bottles of sleep aids from US. Almost gone. If I'm struggling I take one and get a decent night's sleep. I asked two pharmacies and they had them albeit much more expensive. I don't have side effects in morning if I take one by 830pm.

Just don't take Xanax. I had a friend some years back who became addicted not physically but couldn't sleep without them. When he gave them up ...severe insomnia and he said he had nightmares nightly that lasted weeks. He was a total wreck.

BTW narcotics (pills) don't make you sleep they just get you high.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chad3000 said:

Just don't take Xanax. I had a friend who became addicted not physically but couldn't sleep without them. Severe insomnia and he said he'd had nightmares nightly that lasted weeks. He was a total wreck.

Im not a fan of any chemical medicine so I wont be touching that. I’d stick to weed in that case, helpful but not preferred.

Meanwhile now 6:30 and still awake, once I sleep you can start a war without me knowing it. I slept trough tanks shooting whilst in the army and being left behind in the forest.

11 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I suffer from very bad jet lag when I travel from Europe to Asia.

After many years, there are two things that work for me. The first thing is that I set my alarm clock to ring 30 minutes earlier each day, until my body is adjusted. It's dreadful when you wake up. You really have to force yourself out of bed.

The second thing that helps me is going to sleep with the bedroom curtains partly open. Having sunlight in the bedroom helps to wake me up in a more natural manner.

I wish there was an easier solution.

The problem is I wont get up once I sleep, for at least 8 hours. I missed flights and worse over that. 

This is partly what amazes me about this problem as I used to be the perfect sleeper. Now its like im the worst.

I could essentially sleep on command, any time of the day. I love sleeping, makes it so horrible.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Hi Chaiya. Here’s my advice:

1)turn off screens long before bedtime.

2)quit watching the news-it’s like a drug. And you can’t solve anything you see on it.

3)try box breathing. Inhale for count of 4, hold for count of 4, exhale for count of 4, hold for count of 4. When your mind wonders don’t sweat it, just start again.

5)try becoming a vegetarian-it won’t harm you and you’d be surprised at the results. I stopped eating animals a week ago and feel like a million baht.

• Thanks 2

Perhaps it could be helpful to consider our origins, electricity had only been around for a century, but for tens of thousands years we have been used to yellow flame as a light source in the evening, from fires, torchiers and candles etc.

So we are accustomed to warm white light (2300k) in the evening and blue white sun light (5000k) during the day.

Therefore if we are subjected to blue white light (like what comes from smart phones and TVs) at night, we still think it's daytime, and thus not sleeping time.

If you have a warm white (2300k) evening setting on your phone/TV use it.

If you have 5000k (cool white) lights in the house change them to 2300k (warm white) as this is the most appropriate light for the evenings.

Turn the phone over (face down) in the early evening and don't use it till the morning.

Turn the telle off early in the evening and read a book, take it to bed if need be and read for a few more minutes, maybe you'll soon nod off.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 11:28 AM, mokwit said:

The standard advice which worked for me when I had this problem is to gradually reset your clock by going to bed 15 or 30 minutes earlier than usual each day/week

That wouldn't work for me. I sleep about 6 hours regardless of when I go to sleep. If I went to bed 30 minutes earlier, I'd just wake up 30 minutes earlier.

Don't look on it as a problem. Use the extra awake time to do enjoyable things.

Stressing about it probably makes it worse. Play some relaxing music ( on a timer ), or imagine pleasant scenery to destress.

Avoid anything that releases Adrenalin, such as violent movies, or arguing with the beloved.

Edited by thaibeachlovers