The problem with sex education in Thailand

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-53.jpg

In Thailand, sex education is combined with health education. 3rd graders, usually between 8 and 9 years old, will begin learning about sexual harassment at school, with teachers explaining what it is and how to avoid these situations.

Is the 3rd grade early enough and is what the school provides enough to protect them? What do youths, and parents with children in the Thai educational system, think about their sex education? Some say the curriculum is outdated, while some parents say sex education should be introduced before the 3rd grade.

Thai PBS World spoke to 2 parents on a vox pop and they added on the matter that starting to learn about sexual harassment in the 3rd grade is too late, they should start in kindergarten, because most small children can be easily deceived. Some people might bring snacks to tempt them, we have to teach them.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-problem-with-sex-education-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 1

Sex education is first the parents job. Sad thing is that a lot here look at school as the primary teachers of everything. It's a parents job to educate children not to not trust anyone but to understand what good and bad touch is. Not to go with anyone besides someone they know very well. That there are many bad people in this world and they could be authority figures. A culture which believes a 15 year old consent age for sex is a major problem, and it's the parents job to teach the child that it isn't good to follow what other children do, that doing so involves consequences they might be very hurt from. That there is little chance that a boy will stay around if a child is born, and that raising a child as a child is an impossible task, and that pawning that child over to grandma is not only wrong, it isn't their job. When a child can understand what you are saying is when to start talking about bad touch, and your close relationship with your child is very important, because they will come to you with questions that you are better to answer than their also non educated peers. I've been a step father and know fully well that the highest chance of sexual abuse comes from step parents, friends and family. More than 90% of abuse victims know their abusers. This is how they are groomed or manipulated. trusting someone they think they can trust. One in four girls and one in six boys will be abused by the time they are 17. Sad facts and shows what kind of world we live in. Protecting your children is first the parents job, and this means talking to them as early as they can understand, and following up into their teen years.

• Like 2

"0 years living here and 10 mof them I taught in a few schools. Sex Education, did not happen and judging by the quality of teacheing generally will be as poor as most subject supposed to be taught by teachers.

It is the PARENTS job to teach about the facts of life, but they rarely do so it is up to the children to teach each other, most wrongly, hence the number of pregnancies and abuse by members of the family . .

Education generally here is typical Thai knee jerk reaction  as with everything, talked about but rarely happens. 

"3rd graders between 8 and 9 years old (are taught) about sexual harassment at school what it is and how to avoid these situations."

If this is really true, then impose lifelong jail sentences without pardoning appeal in the future and publicly humiliate these "educators".

Trust me, if anyone would touch a child in my custody, (s)he would definitely not survive it - irrespective of consequences I would face afterwards!

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, tingtong said:

Teaching in school or not....

Ultimately it is the job of the parents to teach about the basics, not kindergarten teachers.

As for some ppl might bring snacks ...

Most kids, in Thailand too, abused by family members or close family friend, or those they are the under care and said to trust, like teachers, monks.

The sad truth.

Judging by what is going on at our own daughter's online classes very few parents take an interest in what is taught and most are elsewhere working anyway.

As for sex education I would like to see a national lesson plan put together by experts and relevant to the kids age, that way all kids would be having the same lessons on the subject. Sadly there seems very little chance of that happening.

• Like 1

Teaching about being carful with strangers is not sex education! It is also something that is the sole responsibility of the parents, and has absolutely nothing to do with kindergarten teaching. Sex education starting at 8-9 years of age, is perfectly enough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Teaching about being carful with strangers is not sex education!

Yes, they seem to be conflating sex education, abuse and harassment, when they are different (although connected) things.

All are important to discuss, but they are not the same and would be better discussed separately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Is the 3rd grade early enough and is what the school provides enough to protect them? What do youths, and parents with children in the Thai educational system, think about their sex education? Some say the curriculum is outdated, while some parents say sex education should be introduced before the 3rd grade.

Putting a condom on a banana doesn't stop pregnancy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If kids in kindy are being "tempted", something has gone fundamentally wrong with society, IMO.

The kids aren't being tempted at a young age, they are being molested be elders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

It's a parents job to educate children not to not trust anyone but to understand what good and bad touch is. Not to go with anyone besides someone they know very well.

Daddy, are you sure this is okay?

Uncle, I don't think this is correct.

Brother, should we really be doing this?

Why do you keep telling me not to tell anyone if it's fine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

"3rd graders between 8 and 9 years old (are taught) about sexual harassment at school what it is and how to avoid these situations."

If this is really true, then impose lifelong jail sentences without pardoning appeal in the future and publicly humiliate these "educators".

Trust me, if anyone would touch a child in my custody, (s)he would definitely not survive it - irrespective of consequences I would face afterwards!

So you would willingly deprive the child of your presence in their life, because you took it on yourself to break the law. What good would that do?

Far better to teach them properly, and in the event of a crime being used on them let the law deal with it. At least you'll be able to give them support, which you won't from prison.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Are you saying you think that the article claims explaining what sexual harassment is and how to avoid it means actually sexually harassing/abusing the children?  Otherwise, I don't understand your call for punishment of teachers for discussing sexual harassment.

It does come across like that, though I think he misunderstood the OP.

32 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Teaching about being carful with strangers is not sex education! It is also something that is the sole responsibility of the parents, and has absolutely nothing to do with kindergarten teaching. Sex education starting at 8-9 years of age, is perfectly enough.

I'd have been so mortified if my parents had tried to educate me about sex I wouldn't have heard a word.

Far better to be educated by experts, but most teachers are probably also embarrassed by teaching it to kids. Should be special teachers that travel around, and not known to the kids.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, my buddies Thai brother in law, about 45 years old, had taken a shine to buddies 2nd daughter and visited/stayed often, always wanting give the little girl a bath, 2 or 3 times a day and continuously change her clothes, many times per day.

Buddy left it a bit late.... should have had a boot up the derrière somewhat sooner!