Are Thai Retirement Visa Requirements Changing

19 minutes ago, bojo said:

There's no smoke without fire or perhaps Bbq in this case.............................I imagine everyone on TV is in  agreement that rules will change and requirements will stiffen in the not too distant future..............we're never gonna reach any conclusions here, we all know the rules are gonna keep changing

No agreement from me!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not in agreement with that. 

Also you state...

"we all know the rules are gonna keep changing.........."

I didn't know that.

I most certainly don't speak for you, but 'I would imagine that', it's my personal belief...........

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To be clear, the 1.2m figure is equivalent money in a home country account, to get an OA from home country.

This figure (in home currency) can vary a lot due to exchange rates.

in the last couple of years, 800k has been as low as $25k US and as high as $30k US. 

The 1.2 is probably just to cover exchange variations as the baht is 10% down from where it used to be.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Agents will just get a lot more business then!

I'm one who would in the past 'never' use an agent...however....there is little doubt I would avail myself of their services in this case

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, tonray said:

Thanks...that's two consulates now with the same info posted...

To be fair, a lot of consulates have often just wanted a nominal figure (in local currency) that is around 800k, otherwise the figure would change each day with exchange rates.

I did an OA in Australia years ago and they just wanted $20k AU in an account, at the time that was 600k baht, a friend did one 6 months later and $20k represented 800k baht.

I really think the 1.2 is just to cover exchange fluctuations

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Well that settles it....who's going to question a facebook post from an Aussie in Chiang Mai ?

Your bank balance will decide when you renew your extension of stay if it is correct or not .

Don't be so facetious 

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

To be fair, a lot of consulates have often just wanted a nominal figure (in local currency) that is around 800k, otherwise the figure would change each day with exchange rates.

I did an OA in Australia years ago and they just wanted $20k AU in an account, at the time that was 600k baht, a friend did one 6 months later and $20k represented 800k baht.

I really think the 1.2 is just to cover exchange fluctuations

It could be a mistake from the consulate on the 50,000 

Too big an increase to cover fluctuations .

But maybe the Australian prime minister is advising the Thais to follow his example and throw a few porkies in 

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The 1.2 figure (or equivalent) is real, its on the Australian consulate website. $50k AU = 1.2m baht

image.png.f1695ba6350c74857d8ffd3897c21bce.png

I think that is old info using a wrong currency conversion. Today the Bangkok Bank site shows this.

image.png.16fd1af12b6bb5f28f1f871b0015c7fc.png

Edit: And on the embassy website it still states 800k baht.

image.png.381ecb4e7d03bda998672d1c47418898.png

Source: https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-a-for-retirement-long-stay-valid-for-1-year/

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

I'm as confused as probably a lot of us are.....!  Is this proposal for 1.2 million Baht simply a 50% increase to the current requirement for 800,000 in a Thai bank account or is it somehow tied to a similar increase to the current 65,000 Baht a month income requirement and, if so, how much would this be?  (eg 95,000 Baht / month?)  It all appears highly speculative at the moment.

18 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

BUT even if its correct and  it goes to 1.2.

Just like when it went from 200,000 to 800,000
all those on 200,000 were grandfathered in

Based on previous one would hope so, but the question is, has the addition of insurance to Non O-A based retirement extensions set a precedent?

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

basically he is a fear mongerer, trying to drum up business
best to ignore him an his videos

BUT even if its correct and  it goes to 1.2.

Just like when it went from 200,000 to 800,000
all those on 200,000 were grandfathered in

There was /is a step in between the 200K to now 800K :  the 500K , so regularly they augmented the money criteria ......

So...say never ever again it could become ???? So last time waugmenting was...., i believe in 2008 ..... so more than 12 years ago ....

2021-11-10_140841.png

Edited by david555