How to learn about renovating and interior design for an open plan apartment in Bangkok?

I think about buying an apparent in Bangkok to live there (I know renting is probably cheaper in the moment but I don't care).

Instead of buying an expensive new apparent I prefer the idea to buy an old one, rip everything out, and renovate it exactly like I like it.

My idea is to have about 100m² mostly open space somewhere in a high floor with (as much as possible) windows from wall to ceiling.

It seems my current ideas are contrary to most existing designs. I.e. I want

- only one bedroom

- only one bathroom

- a storage room to put all the things which I like to keep but don't need in daily life

- a big room for everything else like: living, working, kitchen, eating, etc.

Now my challenge is how to design such a space and all the little and not so little things which have to be considered. I guess at some stage I will involve an interior designer (maybe just a few hours or maybe more). I don't want to just believe everything such a designer tells me. I want to have some basic knowledge myself. So I have to learn and study. But how? A few books? YouTube videos? Websites?

Obviously I looked for books and I watched some videos. But what I found until now is often about renovating a house in North America (wood frame), cold climate, lots of idea from designers which are way above beginner level, etc.

I have basic questions like:

- how many lights and what kind of lights do I need? I.e. LED lights in the ceiling corners and down lights

- type, size and positions of air-conditioners

- where to eat, work, live (i.e. one should be near the windows, something else better away from the windows)

- which floor tiles? I like tiles. But which color and texture? 

- how many and what kind of cabinets, desks, chairs, sofa, etc.

How to learn about those things and make good decisions? I don't plan to finish all right away. Some things like floors have to be installed before moving into the place. But other decisions, like where to eat and where to work can be made later. Same with decisions about furniture. 

What are your ideas how to learn these things? Can you recommend some books? Or videos? Or would you talk with designers or look at existing apartments about ideas what you like and don't like?

Just an example

shutterstock_572568943-compressor.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

have basic questions like:

- how many lights and what kind of lights do I need? I.e. LED lights in the ceiling corners and down lights

- type, size and positions of air-conditioners

- where to eat, work, live (i.e. one should be near the windows, something else better away from the windows)

- which floor tiles? I like tiles. But which color and texture? 

- how many and what kind of cabinets, desks, chairs, sofa, etc.

These are all items of personal preference. As far as AC units...likelly just place them where they are already ?

I would suggest browsing an IKEA catalog and head to a store if available where you are, also just take a walk thru an SB Design furniture store...they have many 'model' rooms for your ideas

Sounds like a lot of grief.

Dealing with contractors in "Farangland" is a nightmare - god only knows what it is like here.

I would look at an older building (say 10 years) where someone has done it all for you - then you can just tweek it.

There are a few agents with refurbishment properties for sale - if i remember the links i'll post.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Sounds like a lot of grief.

Dealing with contractors in "Farangland" is a nightmare - god only knows what it is like here.

I would look at an older building (say 10 years) where someone has done it all for you - then you can just tweek it.

There are a few agents with refurbishment properties for sale - if i remember the links i'll post.

RAZZ

I'm currently having a new kitchen put in one of my condo's ( that i use ) they tradesmen ( and i use that term losely ) are pathetic, they've been back 3 times and still not complete.

Cracked worktop when drilling hole for tap

Cracked existing hob when removing to install new counter top ( will be replaced FOC )

Splash board to low

Underhung sink which they wanted to install as a conventional sink??!?!?!?@?!@

Much better idea to search about and then just make a few small changes - totally agree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What an exciting prospect OMF.......a blank canvas, just the best.....................I can't answer your questions in detail as there are soooh many considerations and variables, bjt evefrything is available online anyways....................As I'm sure you're aware, older properties generally have more space and are less desitable to Thais and subsequently cheaper, so good move.................................High floor, I assume you mean high ceiling??.......... This is the best as you can incorporate a mezzanine, and finally if it was me, I would move into my chosen apartment and live there even with bare necessities before transformation........it might be uncomfortable to what you're used to, but until you get the 'real feel' you're not gonna be able to find the right design for the place IMO, take your time living there first or even better, consider renting it first (if that's an option) to really make sure...................................................

5 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Think about real spaces you have been in and features of them that you liked.  Write them down or draw them.

Cant think of many.  Enjoy yourself and rent some hotel suites and experience their features.  Airnub some condos for a night or two.  Your experience will tell you better than a book or some talk.  In the end, talk with a good designer  can be valuable.

Exactly. Some great Interior designers here and their prices "can" be very reasonable.

Have a google and look at their websites.

https://www.livingroomideas.eu/meet-the-15-best-interior-designers-in-bangkok-youll-love/

Or Houzz.

https://www.houzz.com/professionals/interior-designer/c/Bangkok--Bangkok--Thailand

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

I did exactly your thoughts with my appartment in Bkk:

incl. furniture (Divani, Poro, Villeroi u Boch, Eckersmann kitchen, Lignet Roset etc.) plus more or less a shell and core situation you need add. 5 M Baht by 130 sqm. 
Engineered by myself with top workers.

Be aware that you have to deal with unprofessional workers and you need to have an engineer on your side for surveillance etc.

Edited by Tom H

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Think about real spaces you have been in and features of them that you liked.  Write them down or draw them.

Cant think of many.  Enjoy yourself and rent some hotel suites and experience their features.  Airnub some condos for a night or two.  Your experience will tell you better than a book or some talk.  In the end, talk with a good designer  can be valuable.

Good idea.

But I have to admit often I don't pay attention to details. I.e. I like a place, but if you later ask me for details like what was the color of the floor or this or that I don't know. It's more the impression of the whole place.

And that is also why I like to learn about these things. Because I am sure there are "rules" like balance, what to combine with what and what not, etc. I think I have to learn first what to look for.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

with (as much as possible) windows from wall to ceiling.

Then you are going to need big air conditioners and get used to very high electricity bills.

Big windows = more heat entering.  You can have very thick curtains with an additional reflective curtain backing but naturally these only work when curtains are closed, defeating the object of having large windows. At night it will be like living in a goldfish bowl with people being able to watch your every move.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Then you are going to need big air conditioners and get used to very high electricity bills.

Big windows = more heat entering.  You can have very thick curtains with an additional reflective curtain backing but naturally these only work when curtains are closed, defeating the object of having large windows. At night it will be like living in a goldfish bowl with people being able to watch your every move.

5 k/Month elec. bill, acceptable by 24/7 AC running. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What are your ideas how to learn these things? Can you recommend some books? Or videos? Or would you talk with designers or look at existing apartments about ideas what you like and don't like?

Do some free online courses; can give you some ideas and teach the basics e.g.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/learn-interior-design-8-free-online-courses/

To play with some ideas, use online designers such as Ikea's (doesn't mean buy from them, just get a good idea of how things could look):

https://www.ikea.com/th/th/planners/

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RAZZELL said:

Exactly. Some great Interior designers here and their prices "can" be very reasonable.

Have a google and look at their websites.

https://www.livingroomideas.eu/meet-the-15-best-interior-designers-in-bangkok-youll-love/

Or Houzz.

https://www.houzz.com/professionals/interior-designer/c/Bangkok--Bangkok--Thailand

RAZZ

Not needed. Kitchen plan for free, high end furniture shop ( I know only 2 in Bkk) also free planning. Floor, tiles? Decide yourself or ask an Engineer. ID in Thailand have no taste.

3 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Learning by doing you pay twice. Get an engineer.

Who pays for free courses? Some people, and the OP appears to be one, enjoy learning something new. Doesn't mean they do everything themselves but it can put them in a better position when overseeing a project and helps being ripped off.

Edited by Salerno
Typo
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Who pays for free courses? Some people, and the OP appears to be one, enjoy learning something new. Doesn't mean they do them thereselves but it can put them in a better position when overseeing a project.

Believe me, construction and overseeing a project in Thailand is a nightmare. I did this for 20y in Asia. Appoint a prof. engineer as the client. He saves the money tripple what he cost you:). Be informed by this central guy and pay with progress as aim. Alone this point of payments in T. is a own chapter when you don´t know the contractual law in T. Guarantee, Bill of quantities versus pauschal, penalties etc.

Edited by Tom H
add

58 minutes ago, Tom H said:

I did exactly your thoughts with my appartment in Bkk:

incl. furniture (Divani, Poro, Villeroi u Boch, Eckersmann kitchen, Lignet Roset etc.) plus more or less a shell and core situation you need add. 5 M Baht by 130 sqm. 
Engineered by myself with top workers.

Be aware that you have to deal with unprofessional workers and you need to have an engineer on your side for surveillance etc.

The good news is that I have a good contact to someone who can arrange and control the workers.

The bad news is that I know the name IKEA better than Divani, Poro, Villeroi u Boch, Eckersmann kitchen, Lignet Roset

But to be fair apart from a computer table I never bought any furniture from anybody.

And just spending money on expensive companies is not my plan. Like I wrote above: I want to understand the basics. Part of that is also to understand the differences in design and quality between i.e. IKEA and the companies you mention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

OneMoreFarang's idea isn't a bad one and it can be done. Retro fitting this to an existing building could be a nightmare. Not easy even in western countries.

In my building most of the units are 54-80SQm. One of our co-owners got in early at planning stage and bought 3 units and had the developer combine them into 1 large unit. Pretty impressive job. He's now trying to sell it but the price doesn't match the building or area. Nice living though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

My electricity bill dropped by 2/3 after I installed new airconditioning, (Mitsubishi), one of which is running all the time I'm in, (24/7 recently).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, samtam said:

Given that you say you lack skills and experience in these matters, (and I don't mean to be disparaging, but just brutally honest), you definitely need a qualified architect and designer. By the sound of it, you want to remove walls, and alter plumbing. In a condo this may or may not be possible. As to all the design elements, there are many outlets that cater to this, but a contractor will get you discounts etc. Even using qualified people, you will need to be very hands-on to get the end finish you want.

I have experience in interior design, and I have renovated 2 times here in Bangkok. On each occasion, I had the professionals, and they were sometimes good, sometimes terrible. You have to watch them like a hawk. I was on site every day for the six months of each project. They both overran by about twice the length, as did the costs. I am happy with the final result, but it is not for the faint hearted, anywhere, but especially in Thailand with language and cultural issues.

IMG_20210710_150526_432.jpg.e2b1bde545a63ac7ada875a8c8334510.jpg20210213_183646.thumb.jpg.8bfc959b58582990affa85132f5713c6.jpg20210213_183622.thumb.jpg.92242e7e1a6dec94ba7be7f274b048b1.jpgIMG_20200520_113922_905.jpg.9e99c350c6fa09115243700ce3601beb.jpgIMG_20200517_123725_212.thumb.jpg.c4cc156a5ba7796c909c9239985cce5b.jpg

As an example, I had very specific lighting requirements, (picture lights), and I had to research a lot to find the ones that best suited my needs. Then I needed them to be controlled from one point, and could sub divide into groups. Kitchen needed higher counter tops than is normal, and the countertops were themselves a saga of monumental proportions, (they had to be redone). The ceiling in the main living space had to be redone, as the contractor had his own ideas, to which I had not agreed; it was all ripped out the afternoon of the morning it had been put in - the importance of being on site.

Thanks!

I definitely will involve a professional who tells the contractors what to do and looks if they do it right.

But I also want to learn myself about some of those things. I.e. some contractors say yes to anything the client (me) suggests. And sometimes that is good. But sometimes it's even better if the designer and/or contractor tell me that this and that is a terrible idea for this and that reason. On the other hand only because a Thai contractor tells me "we do this like that and always have done it that way" does not mean that is the best way to do it.

I.e. floor tiles. Looking on the internet how European or Americans tile floors seems to be often different how Thais do that. It would be good to understand what the best way is to do things here. I.e. in Thailand we don't have to worry about subzero temperatures or cold feet on tiles. But maybe we have to worry about high humidity and things like that.

1 minute ago, samtam said:

My electricity bill dropped by 2/3 after I installed new airconditioning, (Mitsubishi), one of which is running all the time I'm in, (24/7 recently).

Same same in my rented apartment. With a new digital converter aircon the electricity bill is half of what it was previously.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks!

I definitely will involve a professional who tells the contractors what to do and looks if they do it right.

But I also want to learn myself about some of those things. I.e. some contractors say yes to anything the client (me) suggests. And sometimes that is good. But sometimes it's even better if the designer and/or contractor tell me that this and that is a terrible idea for this and that reason. On the other hand only because a Thai contractor tells me "we do this like that and always have done it that way" does not mean that is the best way to do it.

I.e. floor tiles. Looking on the internet how European or Americans tile floors seems to be often different how Thais do that. It would be good to understand what the best way is to do things here. I.e. in Thailand we don't have to worry about subzero temperatures or cold feet on tiles. But maybe we have to worry about high humidity and things like that.

Yes. You definitely have to get involved personally. There are probably a few designers here who understand Western desires for interior design, but the run of the mill, however good they are as contractors, (and it varies within the team), will have their own views as to how something should be done. I am a very detailed person, and I have my own specific ideas. Sometimes they could not fulfill my wishes, so we worked out a compromise.

As for tiles, yes cold floors are not an issue, and they work well. I used them throughout, rather than wood. (The first time round on one project I had maple wood floors, but they were a disaster, as they were not properly laid, so we removed all our goods and chattels, and took it all up, and laid large granite composite tiles (80x80cm) throughout....and this was only after 3 months of completion.) We then found one source of the problem: the plumbing in the bathrooms was not correctly installed, so water was leaking everywhere, and making the wood buckle; humidity could also be problematic with wood, as well as being a good source of nutrition for termites. Again, an expensive lesson to check all their work. Boonthavorn in Ratchada is a great store to find tiles and many other bathroom and kitchen fittings. As for interior furnishings and fittings, I did all that personally, but that's my thing. Shop bought furniture, (sofas, armchairs etc) items can be good, but good quality is vastly overpriced.

• Like 2