Personalised plates

Batty

1 hour ago, transam said:

We had no. "1" on a white plate on our Honda PCX, we ordered it, cost 500bht about 10 years back...????

AH THERE YOU GO THEN. THATS THE SAME AS ME (sorry, caps). Just as i suspected it realy isnt worth anything.

2 hours ago, blackprince said:

An interesting question.

The Ministry of Transport here generally sells off special numbers at high prices so I guess you got lucky.

On the other hand, while "1" is the most desirable number in most western countries, in Thailand other numbers are considered more important because of their good luck value ????

Yes very true. The number 1 isnt a desirable number compared to fives, eights and nines. A wealthy merc owner would not seek out 1

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

If it's a motorcycle plate from BKK with number 1 then it's worth probably around 20k-40k depending on the letters. Some rare ones are worth more. There are plenty of numbers which are actually worth more than "1", something like 9999 for example. Plates outside of BKK might be worth more or less depending on demand.

The real money goes only for car plates.

ITS PRECHUABKIRIKAHN, HUA HIN. YES PROBABLY WAY DOWN THE LIST OF DESIRABLE. ITS ALSO A BIKE NOT A CAR SO REALLY PROBABLY ISNT WORTH MUCH. sorry - caps lock on again!

56 minutes ago, johng said:

I asked at the Pattaya Department of transportation  about transferring plates and was told that  it can be done  car to car and bike to bike  but not bike to car or car to bike,there is also the issue with provinces..don't think they allow  the same letter and number combination in more than 1 province ?

cant say I have ever seen a Thai plate with just  one number no letters and no province written on it    except for a  special case when it was a "prototype" car  so not technically registered but had special allowance to be on the road.

Ah ok thanks, that makes sense. My plate is prechuabkirikahn 1 

20211110_082742.jpg

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Correct, you can only transfer bike to bike (or car to car) as there are different types of plates. And you can only transfer to another vehicle to be registered in the same province as the plate of course does not change and it states the province on it. Some DLTs also require the transfer to be between vehicles owned by the same owner. There are no plates for normal plebs that dont have number+letter+province on it. If you see one then it's usually a fake plate that is not used on public roads. E.g. on a car exhibition.

I bet it is an incredible stress & hassle also, the paperwork and what have you. 

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I n my book only a douchebag would think like that. 

I like my 18" rims better than OEM. ????

IMG_20210806_120524.thumb.jpg.ee0c7a7e6b7a03f27dcc638ea986afc7.jpg

I see your point but I dunno if you are being totaly fair.  Sometimes it looks cheesy/corny and other times it looks alright.  It depends on the car and the driver I reckon.  A bright yellow Range Rover Sport fully loaded with massive alloys and a personal plate that says 'RICH KID' or something just looks daft, especialy if the driver is dressed like a pillock.  A bit of a <deleted>, as we say in UK.  On the other hand, a half decent motor nothing too flash or garish with a plate indicating his initials something like 'RJB 88' is fine, nothing 'douchey' about that.  Its a cool little touch that puts a smile on the owners face without being too corny or look-at-me.

As for the alloys wheels, I dont like them either.  Makes no sense to me and looks terrible I reckon, half the time it ruins the look of the car.  But calling someone a douche just because they are doing something that improves the look of their car (in their opinion) is a bit snobby and self righteous if you ask me.  Sorry mate, just being honest. 

As for the Vespa, I brought it and the bird who ran the place said 'do you wanna personal plate' I said hmmm I dunno, what about the number 1 does that cost much?  She said no, costs nothing extra, so I thought sod it why not.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Batty said:

But calling someone a douche just because they are doing something that improves the look of their car (in their opinion) is a bit snobby and self righteous if you ask me.  Sorry mate, just being honest. 

Don't have to be sorry, I improve my bike looks too and to change my truck rims cost 2500 baht what snobby about that Mate.  ????

6 hours ago, Batty said:

I haappened to have the plate '1' on a bike I purchased 11 years ago.  The plate cost me nothing, and a fellow poster seems to think I am either lying

Perhaps you need to clarify what you mean by "having the plate '1' on a bike".   What you say doesn't make sense as there are no vehicle registrations in Thailand that show just the number "1" alone and nothing else.   Can you post a photo with the letters (that must be part of the registration) obscured if you don't want to show it all here?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps you need to clarify what you mean by "having the plate '1' " on your bike.   There are no vehicle registrations in Thailand that show just the number "1" alone.   

Did you see the photo.? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps you need to clarify what you mean by "having the plate '1' " on your bike.   There are no vehicle registrations in Thailand that show just the number "1" alone.   

Did you see the photo.? 

Obviously not at the time I posted my comment, I was going by the OP!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I can never understand the point of people doing that.  Why obscure the registration that is clearly on display to the whole world when it's on the road?

Because someone might get his real name from the plate and then it's tied to his pseudonym here. That can have a chilling effect on him. I think he is following good practice.

Although of course redacting the name of the province and then writing which province it is is a bit useless ????

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I can never understand the point of people doing that.  Why obscure the registration that is clearly on display to the whole world when it's on the road?

Because someone might get his real name from the plate and then it's tied to his pseudonym here. That can have a chilling effect on him. I think he is following good practice.

Some people use false names here?!   I assumed that "Batty" was his real name.   I'll have to see if I can get an AN/TV pseudonym.   

Anyway, how would someone who wants to remain anonymous (i.e. every member here, except me, of course) be able to get the registered owner's details in the normal course of events by knowing his plate number when those details are not available to the public?     

Edited by Liverpool Lou

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Some people use false names here?!   I assumed that "Batty" was his real name.   I'll have to see if I can get an AN/TV pseudonym.   

Anyway, how would someone who wants to remain anonymous (i.e. every member here, except me, of course) be able to get the registered owner's details in the normal course of events by knowing his plate number when those details are not available to the public?     

You must be new here ????

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

You must be new here ????

I am, could you help me with an answer to my question?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I am, could you help me with an answer to my question?

If someone had a "connection" to a person working at the Department of Land Transportation it's possible they could get the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johng said:

If someone had a "connection" to a person working at the Department of Land Transportation it's possible they could get the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle.

What are the chances of a Thaivisa member being in that position (and interested enough) to do what any man on the street could also, presumably, do when he freely displays his reg to everyone every time he rides the scooter?

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What are the chances of a Thaivisa member being in that position (and interested enough)

Ok pretty slim chance but certainly not zero chance..I suppose the fact that the registration is posted on the World Wide Web ( Google might have "scraped" the data by now too)

so viewable by many more than just anyone on the street (only in his local vicinity)

has something to do with the fear of revealing the full number.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What are the chances of a Thaivisa member being in that position (and interested enough) to do what any man on the street could also, presumably, do when he freely displays his reg to everyone every time he rides the scooter?

But he is not trying to freely state his opinion on the street with a record of everything said publicly visible and searchable. It's just good practice to not post personally identifyable information online when not required to. Some might call it data hygiene. He has next to nothing to gain by posting his full number plate so why do it? Doesn't take much, no big connections needed for someone to get the registration info. Just a bit of greasing. Hence my "you must be new here" snark.

6 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Although of course redacting the name of the province and then writing which province it is is a bit useless ????

LOL.  Well I dont understand the point in my doing it either!  Whenever I see other people do it I always think whats the point in that, a little over the top isnt it?  But because I see many other people do it, I just figure I will do the same lol.  Yah you got me, silly really.

• Haha 1

I bought a Honda XL 600 Dakar in Samui when I first arrived in Thailand to live, 2003. When I got a job & started to living in Prachin Buri, I asked for a plate with 1 on it, I waited about a month & was then told to come to the Rego office & collect it. I think it cost around 400/500 Baht. I never put it on the bike as I wanted to keep it as part of my number/license plate collection I made over time being here. I had a plastic one made up & fitted it.  After about 5/6 years I sold the bike with the plastic plate still attached. Shown top left side of the image, with other random Loei plates I collected over time.

121.jpg