Is this the end of Thailand as a Retirement Destination

Robin

On 11/10/2021 at 12:09 PM, robblok said:

It certainly will become more expensive, but only for those who had no insurance in the first place.

For those of us that factored it in their retirement it wont matter much. I seriously don't understand why people would want to live here without insurance (unless high savings but then they would not complain about the insurance as they have money or could deposit it maybe)

How sure are you that your insurance will pay ?    Maybe you pay for insurance and then still have to pay your medical bill.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Whats the average house price in the uk ?

My last house was 1/2 million pounds, it wasn't special.

My pal had a small bedsit in London 650k pounds.

I doubt there's anywhere you'd want to live available for less than 250kpounds.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

How sure are you that your insurance will pay ?    Maybe you pay for insurance and then still have to pay your medical bill.

Typical drivel of those who are anti insurance. If read your policy you know what is covered and what is not. Its quite simple I have never had a claim refused. This is medical insurance and you can even ask for pre payment - and pre aprovement when the amounts gets high. It all depends where you insure. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 12:09 PM, robblok said:

It certainly will become more expensive, but only for those who had no insurance in the first place.

For those of us that factored it in their retirement it wont matter much. I seriously don't understand why people would want to live here without insurance (unless high savings but then they would not complain about the insurance as they have money or could deposit it maybe)

It might come as a surprise to you, but many companies will refuse to insure the elderly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:
4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It might come as a surprise to you, but many companies will refuse to insure the elderly.

No surprise there, but as you said many, not all

And those that do charge astronomical rates (which is natural) which many could not afford on the off-chance they might need it. My policy (excuse the pun) is to rely on my rather excellent local hospital if something nasty happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Things are already out of control, that's what you get when you have a bunch of tinpot soldiers in government whose brainpower is much the same as the parents who give their underage children the keys to their motorbike.

That's not fair it's always been like that with Taksin & company.

Since the army has been in they tighten up on testing for m/c DL's. 

One of the many things I liked about Thailand it's not like western countries and there rules.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Pick the first 12 adults you find in the street, make one of them the PM and give the rest of them cabinet positions in the government instead of the soldiers who are in now, and they will do a better job.

What you reckon

p.JPG

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And those that do charge astronomical rates (which is natural) which many could not afford on the off-chance they might need it. My policy (excuse the pun) is to rely on my rather excellent local hospital if something nasty happens.

You don't seem to get it.

They take a group of people in your age bracket, then with tables they estimate how much the claims will be in total in that group. Older people have a much higher chance having to use insurance then younger and also the operations cost are much higher. So its a high amount. Then they take that amount and divide it by the people who they insure. Then add a fee for administration and profit.

So yea its an off chance because if it was sure then your premium would be even higher. That is the whole principle of insurance.

If you take 2 groups one younger and one older, then the older group is far likely to have need of medical care and so more expensive. So the premium is also higher. It really is not that difficult to understand. 

Just now, robblok said:

You don't seem to get it.

They take a group of people in your age bracket, then with tables they estimate how much the claims will be in total in that group. Older people have a much higher chance having to use insurance then younger and also the operations cost are much higher. So its a high amount. Then they take that amount and divide it by the people who they insure. Then add a fee for administration and profit.

So yea its an off chance because if it was sure then your premium would be even higher. That is the whole principle of insurance.

If you take 2 groups one younger and one older, then the older group is far likely to have need of medical care and so more expensive. So the premium is also higher. It really is not that difficult to understand. 

You still can't comprehend what I wrote, that the rates they charge are understandable, and for the reasons you state. Which, by the way, I would assume are obvious to anyone.

Thailand will stay a retirement-destination for those who meet the requirements and do not care  to live in a  moronic military dictatorship.

Despite the many problems, Thailand has still a lot to give.

For those of us who are staying here since many years it's natural to be more pessimistic, because we knew the country in the far better past and see where the train is heading to.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You still can't comprehend what I wrote, that the rates they charge are understandable, and for the reasons you state. Which, by the way, I would assume are obvious to anyone.

What don't I get ? 

I am ok with self insurance too.. if one has like 50$ K in a separate account or so (they should make rules for that).

But for those who don't its just a big gamble and if it goes wrong the hospitals take the hit and new rules / complaints will follow. 

So if your saying you got like 50$ K dollars or even 30$k i see no problem. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Thailand will stay a retirement-destination for those who meet the requirements and do not care  to live in a  moronic military dictatorship.

For those of us who are staying here since many years it's natural to be more pessimistic, because we knew the country in the far better past and see where the train is heading to.

I agree with a fair amount of what you said, but I'm finding it difficult to think of a country that has improved over that time period.

I also question the notion that the amount of time on the ground determines one's knowledge of a country. Surely it's the extent to which one engages.

People whose engagement consists of little more than going to the atm once a month are really just tourists, even if they've been residing for decades.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Which moronic military dictatorship are you trying to avoid?