W District

Pravda

14 hours ago, Pravda said:

Bangkok. W District. A "hip" and "cool" place popular with younger crowd.

W District is a beer garden. Sometimes there are sage, older people there. I don't know what "hip and cool" looks like. But I have never seen any really attractive people there. just normal folks. It has different foods available from the food stalls scattered around.

It is the new On Nut beer garden which closed so we all either go to Cheap Charlies or W District. 

J bar is also nice. Across the road from W district. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

W District is a beer garden. Sometimes there are sage, older people there. I don't know what "hip and cool" looks like. But I have never seen any really attractive people there. just normal folks. It has different foods available from the food stalls scattered around.

It is the new On Nut beer garden which closed so we all either go to Cheap Charlies or W District. 

J Bar has fantastic food at good prices. W District is good too. Perfect for families and a wide choice of food (French, Mexican, Italian, Indian, Thai). Phra Khanong or "mid-town Bangkok) has a lot going for it.

• Like 2

W District is a very relaxing place. Overall, it's just a nice place to be, insulated from traffic sounds and pub hubbub. Also there's no loud music. So people (lots of teachers) gather in groups and enjoy chats, food and drinks under the trees and awnings. As do us  "sage, older people."

They serve towers of draft beer, definitely cheaper than the single pints. As well as spirits served from the Cheers bar on the grounds.  It's rather pricy but worth it, IMO.

The toilets are nothing to write home about but a step up from the old On Nut Market's farm cowshed, with consequent odours. 

It's full of handsome young foreigners and fat hookers right now.

Maybe last night but I've seen some really attractive Thai ladies on a regular basis. 

• Like 2

To get to the W District via BTS, get off at Phra Khanong Station, and take Exit 3 - the stairway down to street level (Exit 3 also has a escalator decent).  Upon reaching street level, turn 180 degrees to your right, and proceed straight ahead.  Right now, there is construction ahead, so step up onto the raised section to your left - and proceed in the direction of the Phra Khanong Post Office.  You have to cross Soi 69 just before reaching to post office.  Walk in front of the post office, and continue walking toward Soi 71.  You then walk in front of a condo development called  "The Room."  Once you are past The Room, the entrance to W District is on your left.    You walk up a rising walkway, and there is s Starbucks on your immediate left.   Walk past that, then go down some stairs to your right, and turn left.   Then proceed into the W District's outdoor area.   It has about 25 food and beverage shops lining the buildings that surround the seating area.

My recommendation:   A shop called "Holy Smokes" is the very first shop (on your right) as you enter the seating area.  Their "Beef Brisket" dinner - with a side (I select Cole Slaw - you also order chips/French fries) costs 310 baht - and is EXTRAORDINARILY good - tender, moist, and delicious.        

Edited by maisodni
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 9:33 AM, VocalNeal said:

W District is closer to Phra Khanong BTS station than On Nut.

Nice place but I lived in Ideo Verve so used to go to the smaller place next door & the one recently opened a bit further down the road more.

Went to W last night -- first time since they began using 12oz/330 ml thin paper cups for holding, uh, appropriate drinks. Never went back until last evening. In previous service phases, they had used rather nice thermal cups. Now they're using over-sized plastic cups that will easily hold a 620ml bottle, Not much better, frankly. Ice required.

Anyway, the place was jammed at 7 pm, maybe at about 80% capacity. That's unusually early for a big crowd, except on Friday nights. I am guessing people gravitated to the W night market because it's a nice spot and you don't have to worry about being in enclosed pubs. 

For the 45 minutes or so I was there, I lost count of the number of very attractive Thai ladies wandering about. Lots of young males there, as per usual. And still a few "sage, older people." 

I was only there to check what they were serving the beer in, with a plan to tempt some friends to come on the weekend. Too bad about the plastic cups. I'm assuming the W has SHA approval. So why not use normal drinks glasses? 

Note: The Cheers bar was closed so i don't know if they can serve spirits. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Typo

1 hour ago, maisodni said:

To get to the W District via BTS, get off at Phra Khanong Station, and take Exit 3 - the stairway down to street level (Exit 3 also has a escalator decent).  Upon reaching street level, turn 180 degrees to your right, and proceed straight ahead.  Right now, there is construction ahead, so step up onto the raised section to your left - and proceed in the direction of the Phra Khanong Post Office.  You have to cross Soi 69 just before reaching to post office.  Walk in front of the post office, and continue walking toward Soi 71.  You then walk in front of a condo development called  "The Room."  Once you are past The Room, the entrance to W District is on your left.    You walk up a rising walkway, and there is s Starbucks on your immediate left.   Walk past that, then go down some stairs to your right, and turn left.   Then proceed into the W District's outdoor area.   It has about 25 food and beverage shops lining the buildings that surround the seating area.

My recommendation:   A shop called "Holy Smokes" is the very first shop (on your right) as you enter the seating area.  Their "Beef Brisket" dinner - with a side (I select Cole Slaw - you also order chips/French fries) costs 310 baht - and is EXTRAORDINARILY good - tender, moist, and delicious.        

Or after the 180, walk straight to the next pedestrian bridge, known locally as Saphan Carson, and turn left immediately. 

On 11/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Went to W last night -- first time since they began using 12oz/330 ml thin paper cups for holding, uh, appropriate drinks. Never went back until last evening. In previous service phases, they had used rather nice thermal cups. Now they're using over-sized plastic cups that will easily hold a 620ml bottle, Not much better, frankly. Ice required.

Anyway, the place was jammed at 7 pm, maybe at about 80% capacity. That's unusually early for a big crowd, except on Friday nights. I am guessing people gravitated to the W night market because it's a nice spot and you don't have to worry about being in enclosed pubs. 

For the 45 minutes or so I was there, I lost count of the number of very attractive Thai ladies wandering about. Lots of young males there, as per usual. And still a few "sage, older people." 

I was only there to check what they were serving the beer in, with a plan to tempt some friends to come on the weekend. Too bad about the plastic cups. I'm assuming the W has SHA approval. So why not use normal drinks glasses? 

Note: The Cheers bar was closed so i don't know if they can serve spirits. 

I went to "W" on Friday night about 7pm and it was overflowing, not a table to be had.  Irish pub on other side of Sukhumvit packed as well; really loud music.  Ended-up at J-Bar, got the last available table and had the 200 gram steak, tender and perfectly cooked, a real value at under B300. A San Mig. Lite did somehow find it's way to my table.

Speaking of Phra Khanong and good food, if you like authentic Italian,  there is a terrific, small chef owned restaurant: "La Vela" on Soi (Pridi) 14, just 30 meters down the soi from Sukhumvit-71. 2 blocks past Max Value.

There are just 6 tables so best to book, especially late in the week.  Excellent and original food at reasonable prices. A very nice house wine is also available.

Giovanni, the chef-owner is from Amalfi and seafood is his specialty.  Closed Mondays.

If driving, Max Value lot is the only available nearby parking.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2