TM30 UPDATE REQUIRED FOR TRAVELING INSIDE THAILAND?

I live in CM, at the same address for the last 10 years...always submit the 90 day notification on time and on the 2 occasions I left Thailand and returned, I updated the TM30 database which I have access to online.  I haven't left Thailand over 2 years now nor moved to any other address.

I went to Koh Samui in mid September on vacation, staying one month at Villa A and Villa B for the second and final month.  My 90 day report was due this week and so I dutifully went to Samui immigration to report.

The IO asserted I had not complied with the registering of my temporary address in Samui as required via a TM30 update notification.  This was a violation as their records showed that the owner/landlord had not registered my presence as well.  The Samui IO refuted the notion that I wasn't required to update my TM30 as I had not changed my permanent address in CM nor had newly entered Thailand from outside the country.

Ultimately I successfully completed the 90 day report process but Samui immigration has updated the TM30 database to reflect my rental address here in Samui so upon my return to CM next week I'll have to re-set their database to reflect my CM address.

Was I in error in not registering an updated address when I arrived in Samui?

What you can do next time if away temporarily ( a few months ) is send your 90 day EMS post to your registered address immigration office, immigration will then send your next 90 day notification to your CM address. Have someone get your mail and send it to you wherever you are and affix your new 90 notification slip in your passport.  Or go to immigration and do the TM30 changes every 60-90 days......

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I was in Phuket and tried to do a 90 day.  Was basically very rudely told to go back to where I live to do it.  Luckily, we got home the last day I could do it.  Went to immigration before driving home.

This 90 rule is terrible.

Ahhh good to know, I stayed in Phuket for many months temporarily when BKK was exploding with covid and did the above...... 

• Like 1

I do appreciate the above comments, but the intent here is on whether an update to your TM30 registered address for staying elsewhere on a short term temporary basis is required.  My understanding of the TM30 domestic travel rules was based on other posts I had read, such as this one.

IMG_0650.thumb.PNG.1ed8fce722290cde62a51723a35bf889.PNG

90 day reporting is not the issue in this post...thanks..

Edited by jeffandgop
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

I do appreciate the above comments, but the intent here is on whether an update to your TM30 registered address for staying elsewhere on a short term temporary basis is required.  90 day reporting is not the issue in this post...thanks..

TM30 and 90DAY report go hand in hand, next time you go to Samui for 2-3 months change your TM30 to Samui then so you can to do your 90 day at Samui immigration, return to CM and change TM30 to there again, or try as said above........

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

I do appreciate the above comments, but the intent here is on whether an update to your TM30 registered address for staying elsewhere on a short term temporary basis is required.  90 day reporting is not the issue in this post...thanks..

A TM30 is not required if away inter province from your normal residence.

It's not even required after international travel unless you obtain a new visa/visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

TM30 and 90DAY report go hand in hand, next time you go to Samui for 2-3 months change your TM30 to Samui then so you can to do your 90 day at Samui immigration, return to CM and change TM30 to there again, or try as said above........

Thanks for your input...

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

A TM30 is not required if away inter province from your normal residence.

It's not even required after international travel unless you obtain a new visa/visa exempt entry.

Would you have any regulation info to support this? I don't disagree but obviously Samui Imm doesn't see it that way nor says that there is any regulation that contravenes their position...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Don't think so.

TM30 and 90 day report have nothing to do with each other.

Also as mentioned in my post above....TM30 report is NOT require unless changing your address. Meaning permanently moving away for your previous address.

I'm aware a few backwater immigration offices might 'do their own thing' as is the norm in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeffandgop said:

Would you have any regulation info to support this? I don't disagree but obviously Samui Imm doesn't see it that way nor says that there is any regulation that contravenes their position...

The OP had to do a TM30 report to change his address to Samui to the 90 day report.

A TM30 report is only required now if you change your address or enter with a new visa. The rules were changed in June of 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Would you have any regulation info to support this?

I'm sure ubonjoe could fish out of his treasure trove the official rule.

I guess when dealing with certain immigration offices it's best to play along with their local rules as much as possible even when they are incorrect. Just power trip stuff.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't think so.

TM30 and 90 day report have nothing to do with each other.

Also as mentioned in my post above....TM30 report is NOT require unless changing your address. Meaning permanently moving away for your previous address.

I'm aware a few backwater immigration offices might 'do their own thing' as is the norm in Thailand.

Well what I did while my stay in Phuket was extended and registered address was elsewhere, doing my 90 day as above was a suggestion from you actually and worked well, thanks.....

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You made a mistake when you tried to do the 90 day report at Samui. For several years now you can only do it at the immigration office where you are registered at unless you change your address to that office.

You should of mailed your report to CM or tried to do it online.

A TM30 report is only required now if you change your address or enter with a new visa.

90 day mistake. ok. and I did try to do it online...the last two periods when it was due I tried online and the dreaded "report to imm" was the response.  so beyond the 90 day, the Q is still the TM30 regulatory requirement to when updates/changes are required.  Have I "changed my address" by visiting another province for 2 months? If "no" where can I find something from immigration authorities that support this condition?

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The OP had to do a TM30 report to change his address to Samui to the 90 day report.

A TM30 report is only required now if you change your address or enter with a new visa. The rules were changed in June of 2021.

Understood.  Please if you have anything that to show that rule change I'd appreciate it.

Just now, CANSIAM said:

Well what I did while my stay in Phuket was extended and registered address was elsewhere, doing my 90 day as above was a suggestion from you actually and worked well, thanks.....

Yes.

In 2020 I spent 7 months on Samet. The original trip was planned for 10 days. Covid came with all the restrictions so just stayed there.

Just did my 90 reports via mail and of course no TM30 was filed.

Just posting this to remind folk that if you intend to be away from your province have your option to mail reports just in case online not working for you. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

The IO asserted I had not complied with the registering of my temporary address in Samui as required via a TM30 update notification.  This was a violation as their records showed that the owner/landlord had not registered my presence as well.  The Samui IO refuted the notion that I wasn't required to update my TM30 as I had not changed my permanent address in CM nor had newly entered Thailand from outside the country.

The IO was right. If you stay at a new place a new TM30 is required.

56 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Ultimately I successfully completed the 90 day report process but Samui immigration has updated the TM30 database to reflect my rental address here in Samui so upon my return to CM next week I'll have to re-set their database to reflect my CM address.

No you don't need to submit a new TM30 if you return to an "old" place, this was changed last year.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You made a mistake when you tried to do the 90 day report at Samui. For several years now you can only do it at the immigration office where you are registered at unless you change your address to that office.

He did it right, if he stays in Samui he is supposed to use the immigration office there. The problem was simply that nobody filed a TM30 when he arrived there.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You should of mailed your report to CM or tried to do it online.

So you recommend that he submits a fraudulent 90 day report, by reporting an address where he doesn't currently stay?

3 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Have I "changed my address" by visiting another province for 2 months? If "no" where can I find something from immigration authorities that support this condition?

You changed your address to Samui when they did a TM30 report before they would do the 90 day report.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

In 2020 I spent 7 months on Samet. The original trip was planned for 10 days. Covid came with all the restrictions so just stayed there.

Just did my 90 reports via mail and of course no TM30 was filed.

Just posting this to remind folk that if you intend to be away from your province have your option to mail reports just in case online not working for you. 

Yes, I was in Phuket 7 months ( due to covid ) and did the same, thanks.........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Yes, I was in Phuket 7 months ( due to covid ) and did the same, thanks.........

Your reminding me of a close call.

Had tickets to Phuket April 2020 and covid hit changed mind and went Samet. 

Didn't Phuket get closed including exit. That lasted some time and initially only via bridge to exit. Geez.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

So you recommend that he submits a fraudulent 90 day report, by reporting an address where he doesn't currently stay?

It was not fraudulent report after Samui immigration did a TM30 report for him. Immigration did a notice in early 2015 stating you are required to do you reports at your registered address that immigration has. They consider your registered address to be where you do your extensions of stay.

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's wrong, every time you stay at a new place a TM30 is required.

If you return to an "old" place, then a new TM30 isn't required.

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You could also just follow the official rules and attend the immigration office wherever you are staying at the time when you have to do immigration business.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was not fraudulent report after Samui immigration did a TM30 report for him. Immigration did a notice in early 2015 stating you are required to do you reports at your registered address that immigration has. They consider your registered address to be where you do your extensions of stay.

Of course doing it in Samui is the right way, but you suggested he does it by mail to Chiang Mai immigration, even though he wasn't staying there at this time. If sending it to Chiang Mai immigration, should he write his Samui address or the Chiang Mai address on the 90 day report?

I think you remember something wrong from this notice, immigration never talks about a "registered address", because this term just doesn't exist in immigration law/orders.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your reminding me of a close call.

Had tickets to Phuket April 2020 and covid hit changed mind and went Samet. 

Didn't Phuket get closed including exit. That lasted some time and initially only via bridge to exit. Geez.

Yes bridge closed, flights stopped, but I was very happy in my very clean Bungalow at 300 baht per day overlooking the Andaman and empty beaches.......going back soon not at that price I would imagine now......

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Don't play semantics.

I meant every time your temporarily away from your province YOU do not need to file a TM30. 

The hotel should and if they do or don't has nothing to do with the traveller. 

The notion of filing a TM30 in a random province and also doing your 90 report there is a nonsense.

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You could also just follow the official rules and attend the immigration office wherever you are staying at the time when you have to do immigration business.

Of course doing it in Samui is the right way, but you suggested he does it by mail to Chiang Mai immigration, even though he wasn't staying there at this time. If sending it to Chiang Mai immigration, should he write his Samui address or the Chiang Mai address on the 90 day report?

I think you remember something wrong from this notice, immigration never talks about a "registered address", because this term just doesn't exist in immigration law/orders.

I would assume a TM47 filled out with a temporary Samui address and mailed to CM immigration, you would get a call possibly from CM immigration ?  

6 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

I would assume a TM47 filled out with a temporary Samui address and mailed to CM immigration, you would get a call possibly from CM immigration ?  

No need to do that. The return address can be your normal home address.

You don't need the 90 report receipt for anything. 

I have read the June 2020 updated issued from the Royal Thai Police. Thank you Ubonjoe.

I conclude that so long as I return to the CM residence of record as registered in my TM30 before my current annual extension of stay expires (April 2022), then I would not have to update THAT TM30 upon my return.  It is still the responsibility of the house owner or landlord to submit to immigration my presence here in Samui.

However, a 90-day report can only be submitted to the immigration office located in the jurisdiction of your registered address.  Samui IO was correct to update my TM30 registered residence in order to process my 90 day report. (I only went to Samui to do ta 90 day report as I would be officially late after tomorrow- 5 days before my return to CM.).  When I return to CM I will have to update my TM30 registered address back to my address I permanently reside in.

Thanks for your inputs.

• Like 1