How Difficult Is It These Days to Renew a Retirement Visa?

Hello everyone!  I've been out of the country for a couple of years and am now planning to return. 

After quarantining for 10 days, I plan to ask for a renewal of my retirement visa which I had in 2019. 

Has anyone tried to renew a retirement visa recently? 

What is entailed? 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to start again.

Options. 

Obtain a non O-A in your country 

Or Non O either in own country or inside Thailand.

With non O you will obtain an extension in Thailand.

Thank you very much, DrJack. 

I actually had my original retirement visa way back in 2008.  Then I stayed in Thailand for several years.  In 2013 I moved to the Philippines for a few years and found my long-term partner whom I am still with (she adores me -- miracles never cease).  ????

In 2018, I returned to LOS with my Ruby and I was able to renew my retirement visa without any resistance that I can recall. Maybe I did just start over.  I just remember that it was very simple and there were no difficult issues to deal with. 

I guess my question is -- is it likely to be fairly straightforward for me to get a non-O visa from within Thailand in these crazy times?

Second question -- if I bring my Ruby with me, what is she going to have to do to get a non-O visa or, failing that, how does one deal with extensions on an ASEAN tourist visa-free entry?  Will she have to do border runs and does one have to quarantine these days after a border run?  How does that work? 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtaining a non O visa in Thailand based on retirement is straight forward. However it does require a bank balance of 800k baht in a Thai bank in your name on the day you apply.

The other alternative is to use an agent. 

Also an agent can help open a bank account. 

Depends how long you wish to remain in Thailand.

I won't comment on options for your lady as not familiar with that for Phil national.

Ok, thank you DrJack. It's all coming back to me now. 

When I did this before I was staying in Chiang Rai and I just went to the US consulate in Chiang Mai and signed an affidavit which said that I had 2,500 USD income per month to live on.  That was accepted in lieu of the 800k THB in a Thai bank.

So, is that potentially an option anymore? 

6 minutes ago, jacobus said:

When I did this before I was staying in Chiang Rai and I just went to the US consulate in Chiang Mai and signed an affidavit which said that I had 2,500 USD income per month to live on.  That was accepted in lieu of the 800k THB in a Thai bank.

No. USA along with couple of others stopped with issuing the "income letters".

That has restricted your options.

You could look at obtaining the non O-A in the states or the non O option obtained in USA or inside Thailand.

More to the point is How long do you want to stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Getting the O-A is a trick really, means you'll be on the hook for health insurance so worth people mentioning that

True and that's why I asked the OP a couple of times...

"How long do you want to stay in Thailand." 

Helps choose best option.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jacobus said:

NO!

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No. USA along with couple of others stopped with issuing the "income letters".

That has restricted your options.

You could look at obtaining the non O-A in the states or the non O option obtained in USA or inside Thailand.

More to the point is How long do you want to stay in Thailand.

DrJack, I want to stay in Thailand until they reopen the Philippines, which currently does not allow tourists to enter their country.  Once I leave, I have to stay out until they re-open for tourists because my girl and I are not married.  I'm thinking that this will be anywhere from 3 months to 9 months.  They are already starting to mention in the press that the gov't is concerned about the loss of tourist revenues.  Maybe it will only be a couple of months. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have a few options. 

Personally I would even consider arriving visa exempt. Then obtain 30 day extension. 

Then look at situation with current 60 day covid extensions.

Entry visa exempt or with tourist visa enables you to obtain non O visa inside Thailand.

You can even obtain that after a covid extension.

You could obtain an extension to the non O however it's a 12 month extension and really depends on situation in Philippines.

Also you can use an agent. 

If renewing a permission to stay in Thailand there is a lot paperwork and can not find and did not have copies of things but believe the bank and also many copies from other things my wife got but forget the requirements and it can change each year.
Can you refresh and remember signing my name on many copies and documents.

2 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

If renewing a permission to stay in Thailand there is a lot paperwork and can not find and did not have copies of things but believe the bank and also many copies from other things my wife got but forget the requirements and it can change each year.
Can you refresh and remember signing my name on many copies and documents.

No clear what your asking.

Your in Thailand currently and wanting to obtain an extension? 

Based on marriage or retirement or ? 

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have a few options. 

Personally I would even consider arriving visa exempt. Then obtain 30 day extension. 

Then look at situation with current 60 day covid extensions.

Entry visa exempt or with tourist visa enables you to obtain non O visa inside Thailand.

You can even obtain that after a covid extension.

You could obtain an extension to the non O however it's a 12 month extension and really depends on situation in Philippines.

Also you can use an agent. That comes at a cost but does not require you to import money to Thailand.

Thank you again, DrJack, 

Please explain what is "entry visa exempt" and how do I claim that?

Just now, jacobus said:

Thank you again, DrJack, 

Please explain what is "entry visa exempt" and how do I claim that?

Nothing to claim. 

Normally you would just fly into Thailand with no visa and be given a 30 day stamp. That allows a 30 day stay and can be extended one time for another 30 days.

After that you would need to obtain a non O which gives you 90 day stamp OR if covid extensions still available you could obtain one of those. 

In covid times there are other requirements to enter Thailand.

Numerous threads outlining that.

Fully vaccinated now allows only one night stay at hotel after landing. Again many threads about that.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

800k baht in a Thai bank in your name on the day you apply

i am pretty sure you need to show this amount on your account for at least 3 month prior to application and a proof of the balance (official bank statement) on the day of application

5 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

i am pretty sure you need to show this amount on your account for at least 3 month prior to application and a proof of the balance (official bank statement) on the day of application

Nope. If applying for a  Non Imm O Visa money in the bank the day you apply.

If applying for a 12 month  extension. Money in  the bank 2 months before application.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

Proofing your dough for an extra 3 hours when none is needed leads to a bad outcome

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Nothing to claim. 

Normally you would just fly into Thailand with no visa and be given a 30 day stamp. That allows a 30 day stay and can be extended one time for another 30 days.

After that you would need to obtain a non O which gives you 90 day stamp OR if covid extensions still available you could obtain one of those. 

In covid times there are other requirements to enter Thailand.

Numerous threads outlining that.

Fully vaccinated now allows only one night stay at hotel after landing. Again many threads about that.

I think this is the way to go if you're not planning to be here for a long time.  The immigration office here, Jomtien, will do this for you at a cost of some 14-20k Baht.  I guess the price depends on whom you are speaking to! LOL.  They'll take care of everything for you.  Everything.  Super easy.  Just pay out a bit of money.

After 16 years of grief this year I decided to use an agent best thing I’ve ever done Why did it come to that because the previous year the IO turned my application down as it fell 165 bht and 75 setangs below the 800k as the bank had taken out 200 baht commission for my debit card I was only short of the money for less than 12 hours . As I live on the islands it used to cost me between 5 to 7,000 baht as the I0 would hold your application for 7 days making you do two trips to the office meaning 4 trips on the car ferry plus other expenses and fees .My agent looks after my 90 day reports as well so if you add all the costs up it comes to what I am paying the agent without having to travel and wait in line 

“ Happy Days “

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

After 16 years of grief this year I decided to use an agent best thing I’ve ever done Why did it come to that because the previous year the IO turned my application down as it fell 165 bht and 75 setangs below the 800k as the bank had taken out 200 baht commission for my debit card I was only short of the money for less than 12 hours . As I live on the islands it used to cost me between 5 to 7,000 baht as the I0 would hold your application for 7 days making you do two trips to the office meaning 4 trips on the car ferry plus other expenses and fees .My agent looks after my 90 day reports as well so if you add all the costs up it comes to what I am paying the agent without having to travel and wait in line 

“ Happy Days “

What are typical agent fees (from people with experience)?

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

For a non O and 12 month extension ~ 25k.

For ongoing extensions ~15k.

Naturally some more expensive some less.

Had a few friends do this recently directly with the immigration office.  It was even cheaper!  Amazing. LOL

• Like 1