Bangkok Bank card, cannot pay online

29 minutes ago, Jorje said:

I cannot use it to pay online in foreign services

There was alarming news recently that Thai banks have suspended ALL foreign online payments with their cards.

It was after a spectacular fraud affecting thousands of customers.

Looks like the suspension still is in effect?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Do you have a computer login, or else you'll have to visit the office to open it for foreign transactions/Internet payments

Could be the other reason. All international use locked by default.

Maybe after the fraud case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for the links! Looks like exactly my case. Weirdly, not all payments are blocked, Patreon goes through.

I'll visit their office on Monday and report back.

• Like 1

As others have said, its looks like they are the same as Kasikorn and you have to activate the facility.  When I tried to do this at an ATM, part of it was in English, part Thai - I went into the branch and got them to do it.

Again, not sure if your bank is the same but with Kasikorn there were several other services and limits that had to either be activated or set - might be worth checking.

• Like 1

I used my MasterCard debit card from Bangkok bank to pay for Netflix for quite some time with no issues.

This month I got a notice from Netflix saying my account had been suspended because payment won't go through anymore.

Tried to fix it...nothing works!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ryanwiley said:

I used my MasterCard debit card from Bangkok bank to pay for Netflix for quite some time with no issues.

This month I got a notice from Netflix saying my account had been suspended because payment won't go through anymore.

Tried to fix it...nothing works!

Is your Netflix the Thai one? If so you can buy prepaid cards for Netflix Thai in 7/11, and then you redeem that card on the Netflix Site. That is how I pay for our Netflix!

https://www.netflix.com/gift-cards

Edited by MJCM

I had the same problem with Netflix so I called BKK Bank.  They could not tell me why the debit had been declined, although I'm sure they can as there will surely be some kind of rejection code on file.  I suspected it was tied to the recent fraud issues.  The call centre rep assured me someone would call me back with a full explanation - they didn't.  The message from Netflix had a "try again button" so in frustration I hit it and the payment went through immediately!  Will be interesting to see if I get the same problem this month.

I experienced same for my regularly scheduled VPN card debit. Contacted Bangkok bank help # listed on their site. Explained the situation and affirmed to them that it was a authorized charge by me. They asked me for how long and I said indefinitely, and they said they would resolve the issue right away. I held the phone for several minutes, they came back, the situation was resolved. Re-subscribe to my VPN provider with no payment issue.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I am having the same problem with Bangkok bank. I have been to see them about it and was told there are no problems with using my card online, I think some of these tellers only tell you what you want to hear.

The teller just gave a phone and said talk to customer services????......Sat there for 5 minutes listening to Thai rap music and left.

Customer care not quite at the same level as some other countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With Debit Master Card Same problem here. I went to Bangkok Bank last day. They told me that I can pay Netflix, ITunes bill or whatever from TRUE MONEY… Again;

True Money is in Thai language., so no way.

Then I tried with DTAC.. same problem, Prepay DTAC cards not allowed for payments. 

Tried again with Kasikorn VISA Debit card, refused again. With same issue.

Netflix and another payments are suspended until find a solution  Waiting yet????

• Like 1

Probably a union pay card? After years of pleading for a mastercard or visa with them I eventually gave up and closed my account. The siriroj card comes in union version and also master ir visa version (forget). This is the last card they gave me. When i got home i realised the card is 800+ per year because it includes insurance of which there is no policy in english. Went back just trying to get the normal mastercard debit which is like 200 or 300. "Unavailable". There were a few years where union oay was the only card available because they made a deal with the chinese but that ended and they still carry on with these games. Never seen any other bank operate this way. 

Actually i think your card is 500+ a year okus the intial payment. Total 800+ from memory. 

20 hours ago, Jorje said:

I opened an account in Bangkok Bank and got a card. For some reason, I cannot use it to pay online in foreign services, like Netflix, AppStore, some online shops. All of them say something like: "This payment was declined by your bank." Paying in Thai services (mobile phone top-up, AIS internet) works fine. Has anyone had such problem?

Yes, I have the same problem with my BBL debit card but when using it online with certain merchants, not all, inside Thailand.   The bank has looked into it many times and suggests that the issue is with the merchant.  This is likely to be correct as paying for deliveries from the same merchant (eg. Tops) with the same card but using the delivery driver's card machine always works.

20 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Do you have a computer login, or else you'll have to visit the office to open it for foreign transactions/Internet payments

Activating a non-activated BBL debit card for online purchases can be done on the phone also.  I've just re-done mine over the phone to try to alleviate the OP's problem that I get with some merchants here in Thailand.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

There was alarming news recently that Thai banks have suspended ALL foreign online payments with their cards.

It was after a spectacular fraud affecting thousands of customers.

Looks like the suspension still is in effect?

No, that is/was not the case for all merchants.  There may have been a temporary suspension but that only applied to the accounts of those affected by the fraud.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

If anyone is using Wise.  just use their Virtual Card.

After any payment you just "freeze" their card (so no one can take payments from it) and when it's time for another payment just "unfreeze" it.

https://wise.com/gb/virtual-card/

Just tried that link.  All it does is take me to my account 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

That first link and one individual person's issue do not indicate an across-the-board block for all merchants overseas.