Current best airline Los Angeles to Bangkok

elgenon

Flew business on Korean from BKK to LAX in May.  Great flights and comfortable pods for sleeping.

Had to fork out $2,000 one way, tho.  Awful, 10-12 hour layover in Inchon, too, with most everything closed.  But, I got big miles on my Delta Amex.  Skyteam partner.

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 6:55 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Man I miss EVA.....was my go to...gonna try Singapore air next week and the prison transit--attica!

I did the Singapore air to SFO. 2.5 hours in Singapore. but on the upcoming return flight only 50 minutes transfer time.  They do require a pcr test within 48 hours of flying and be fully vaccinated for the best flights. They are good with all seats being either business class or premium economy. But I still prefer EVA when available again?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I got the LAX singapore bkk flight and my tix was under 500 usd   one way

I got bkk/SFO in premium economy for under $1100 usd RT. they advertise free change fees. I changed the first time and no change. Then I changed again a couple of days ago to a December return. There was no change fee. However the price had gone up and cost me an extra $1230.00! This was on only the return portion plus a better seat fee of $140.  They do have 6 single seats in premium economy for this extra fee. Nice planes. Airbus 350/900

• Like 1

In the 90s it was Cathay Pacific for me. Id also use TG. Early 00s EVA also in late 90s. China Air 00s mostly but there was always (!) some personal inflight disaster caused by staff rushing around the plane. Between that and the dilapidated airport I came to really dislike the airline. Planes were old as well.

When I've gone back now to JFK we fly KAL. Everything very nice but meals are still not very good and they monitor your alcohol consumption.

I've heard ANA shaves a few inches off the legroom bc well... Japanese don't need it.

Singapore Air. I think Changyi is run down and staff very unhelpful. While we were running to a gate they put CLOSED up on the monitor ten minutes before they were supposed to close which made us all the more panicked. Once there the staff a bunch of misfits you find in all these jobs the world over could not have cared less.

One the plane and off to New Zealand were a huge group of Indian package tourists. It was absolute bedlam and the flight attendants literally gave up trying to keep the aircraft civil and somewhat orderly.

I'd just go with the fastest and cheapest.

As a standard I used to try and book LAX BKK return for 750-850$ departing first week December open ended. That was 90s.

Edited by Chad3000

18 hours ago, elgenon said:

Many years ago I flew an American airline. Terrible flight, terrible service. Fewer flight attendents. They only served two

I second that...  flew over a million miles AA ... but always on CATHAY as code share... then AA started

to fly some of the routes and felt like domestic flight services.... i generally have a red wine with my meal.. .. the AA shock .. $12... Say what? .... after a polite conversation they didn’t charge. .. for sure

its a different feel and if you’re flying 2 times a month PVG/LAX/PVG service is important...

17 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

that would be me...anyone else going so we can secretly wing for each other going into the hunger games?  i will be a newbie on Sing..as Im usually with EVA

I go with EVA. I flew Singapore years ago because I wanted to go to Bali and Thailand. Was a very good airline. Gave me a few nights at a hotel in Singapore free. Like the FA's outfits.

Have you compared ANA and Singapore and chosen Sing? Thanks

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I saw flights from New York City to BKK from Eva on line last week starting Jan 1 ( so maybe for LA too, but someone else mentioned you can't transit through at Taipei? So not sure how that would work.  Also no one has mentioned that  EVA has great premium economy class if you don't want to fork over so many $$$. 

Thanks for the heads up. Yes I fly EVA PE. I forgot to say before that I used to fly Cathay when it was good but they didn't have PE between HK and BKK. Only between LAX and HK. Might be different now but that, and the deterioration of the fleet, made me give them a pass. Luckily EVA had gotten much better but it took a leap of faith to try them again after two disasters.

For some strange reason a flight from LAX took an unscheduled stop in Washington "to pick up fuel". They did have a sign behind the check-in counter, but no one said anything. That added two hours to the ordeal. On the return flight we were stranded in the boarding lounge for 4 hours because of "mechanical problems".

18 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Thanks for the heads up. Yes I fly EVA PE. I forgot to say before that I used to fly Cathay when it was good but they didn't have PE between HK and BKK. Only between LAX and HK. Might be different now but that, and the deterioration of the fleet, made me give them a pass. Luckily EVA had gotten much better but it took a leap of faith to try them again after two disasters.

For some strange reason a flight from LAX took an unscheduled stop in Washington "to pick up fuel". They did have a sign behind the check-in counter, but no one said anything. That added two hours to the ordeal. On the return flight we were stranded in the boarding lounge for 4 hours because of "mechanical problems".

Nobody will be flying anywhere on EVA till at least March as far as I can tell.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 1

I did some dummy bookings LAX-BKK on Cathay, I'm seeing prices of anywhere from $3-10K for economy during the christmas period , with anywhere from 2-3 flights per week via Hong Kong.

Some were the standard one-stops, others were two to three stops. They have upgauged their long haul flights from A350-1000s to B777-300ERs so they must be forecasting some kind of traffic increase but again they're still only sending planes across the water 2-3 times a week.

Pre-pandemic, Cathay did indeed fly PE HK-BKK, several flights a day at least. Typically they'd put PE lift on flights that went onward usually to Singapore and what not. These days, who knows, they're barely flying as it is now.

JL appears to have more lift with daily trips on B777-200 for the Asian sectors but are only using 787s for the transpacific sectors.

Edited by roxnadz

On 11/13/2021 at 11:14 PM, onekoolguy said:

I did the Singapore air to SFO. 2.5 hours in Singapore. but on the upcoming return flight only 50 minutes transfer time.  They do require a pcr test within 48 hours of flying and be fully vaccinated for the best flights. They are good with all seats being either business class or premium economy. But I still prefer EVA when available again?

did my PCR today as just got it to the testing guy as he came in to pick them up--then they fly them to another states for testing!!!!!   <deleted>...takes 2 days..or more

which makes me crazy trying to time it with my departure times...this trip is so stressful with all the covid rules and thai pass

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 9:55 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Man I miss EVA.....was my go to...gonna try Singapore air next week and the prison transit--attica!

got tested today PCR waiting on results in few days....my head is swimming with stress and all this planning crossing the world--6 airports  30 hrs..on my BDAY

23 hours ago, roxnadz said:

I did some dummy bookings LAX-BKK on Cathay, I'm seeing prices of anywhere from $3-10K for economy during the christmas period , with anywhere from 2-3 flights per week via Hong Kong.

Some were the standard one-stops, others were two to three stops. They have upgauged their long haul flights from A350-1000s to B777-300ERs so they must be forecasting some kind of traffic increase but again they're still only sending planes across the water 2-3 times a week.

Pre-pandemic, Cathay did indeed fly PE HK-BKK, several flights a day at least. Typically they'd put PE lift on flights that went onward usually to Singapore and what not. These days, who knows, they're barely flying as it is now.

JL appears to have more lift with daily trips on B777-200 for the Asian sectors but are only using 787s for the transpacific sectors.

I think Cathay upgraded since I last flew them so they may well have had PE between HK and BKK. I stopped flying them when my TV controller malfunctioned then my TV malfunctioned and across the aisle in the front row the guy could not retract his table before landing. The planes were falling apart.

I am anxious now that China is exerting total control over HK but probably shouldn't be.

23 hours ago, roxnadz said:

Have you flown China Air?

On 11/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, sqwakvfr said:

The word "best" might be difficult to narrow down.  In the last year I have flown the following airlines on the BKK-LAX-BKK route.

1, Korean. Very good in all aspects and transit in Incheon was fine.  More expensive than other options.

2. Singapore. No major complaints but  transit at Changi is like being in jail for 7 hours.  Transit passengers are restricted inside of the THA(Transit Holding Area).  A cordoned off part the Terminal where food and drink options are limited unless you order food delivery($20 for a cheeseburger, no thanks).  The cost was lower than Korean

3. ANA.  So far my favorite.  Great value and great cabin service.  Transit in both Narita and Haneda were fine.  It was a joy to enjoy an Asahi while waiting for connecting flight while in the terminal.  The beer was only 120 yen so I had two.  

In the past I have flown EVA from CNX to LAX and back.  These were the good old days when I could take an international without having to go to BKK.  I would book with EVA again but since I have to leave from BKK I will probably go with ANA again early next year. 

I miss EVA. But, the cowardly Zombie paralysis gripping Taiwan and China are a bit over the top and juvenile, at best. 

May try ANA next time. Just flew to LA via Singapore and it was not fun. Long trip, long layover, and you are right about the Singapore transit. Not the Changi I remember!!! 

I am fairly certain these images of that of a passenger! 

20211029_154052.jpg

20211029_154104.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I miss EVA. But, the cowardly Zombie paralysis gripping Taiwan and China are a bit over the top and juvenile, at best. 

May try ANA next time. Just flew to LA via Singapore and it was not fun. Long trip, long layover, and you are right about the Singapore transit. Not the Changi I remember!!! 

20211029_154052.jpg

20211029_154104.jpg

From what I understand and have heard through the grapevine, ANA appears to be picking up the slack for loyal EVA flyers. 

If everything remains stable regarding the covid scene, I believe EVA will be opening up most of their transit traffic up by late January - so it's been said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Have you flown China Air?

China and Eva Air do not appear to be flying till March based on my search for flights to BKK.  I believe it is because Taipei is closed to international transit passengers.

Edited by shdmn

On 11/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, spidermike007 said:

20211029_154052.jpg

20211029_154104.jpg

Please let me/us know your experience with ANA. I am right behind you.

On 11/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

EVA has long been my go-to carrier for LAX-BKK flights.... But it's been months since I checked on them, once the government in Taiwan adapted a no-international air transit thru Taipei for non-Taiwan nationals policy.

Am I hearing from you guys, that policy is still in effect even now, and thus no ability still to fly BKK to LAX on EVA?

It was still in affect 2 weeks ago.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Wow! It took you 30 hours from where? Did you compare ANA? I'm interested in booking LAX to BKK.

I just got my negative covid test back..feel like I'm paroled. Fly to CM today..the last leg of DC.. Denver.. LAX.. Singapore.. BKK.. CM with layovers at each stop to hydrate ..and God do I miss Eva air.. Singapore air are haters.. almost blocked me in LAX over my PCR ???? date

6 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I just got my negative covid test back..feel like I'm paroled. Fly to CM today..the last leg of DC.. Denver.. LAX.. Singapore.. BKK.. CM with layovers at each stop to hydrate ..and God do I miss Eva air.. Singapore air are haters.. almost blocked me in LAX over my PCR ???? date

But they used to have those so very nice ads with the attractive stewardesses in those long purple dresses?  You mean, that didn't make up for the 30+ hour flight?   ????

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But they used to have those so very nice ads with the attractive stewardesses in those long purple dresses?  You mean, that didn't make up for the 30+ hour flight?   ????

The Singapore gals were very pretty in their outfits and even have me champagne and cake with a card as it was my birthday.. would have preferred a seat upgrade so could get some sleep

• Haha 1