This one's for Ubonjoe!

Hi joe, been following your advice on here for years and can safely say you are bang on 99% of the time with your visa advice!

My questions is this... Can an immigration officer technically request evidence of where the money has come from for a NON O visa extension based on marriage? I already have my under consideration stamp in my passport but how often do marriage extensions get denied at this stage in the game? On my application form I said the money comes from overseas (which it does) but do they ever actually check this??

..EDIT>> I would just like to add that I have been living here for years on marriage extensions and have never been denied before. The reason for my apprehension this year was the level of scrutiny the IO gave my application at the immigration office. The encounter at the booth lasted well over an hour.

thanks in advance!

Edited by Zark Muckerberg

Not if using the 400k baht in the bank option.

Proof of the source and that it came from abroad is only required if using transfers from abroad to prove the 40k baht income.

If you already have the under consideration stamp for a accepted application it certainly would not be required when you return to get your extension stamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zark Muckerberg said:

Indeed I am using this option and always do.

Just to be safe. Do not draw down on this money in your account until they put your final stamp in pp. Think you mentioned that your in under consideration period.

6 minutes ago, lexilis said:

UJ: Occasionally I hear people say that some immigration officers require that the monthly 40/65k must come from abroad AND must be SS or a defined pension. Is this true?

It does not have to be from a pension. It could be from a retirement savings account such as a 401k or investments and etc.

You just need to prove it did not come from working here unless working here legally and that is proved by tax payments.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to be safe. Do not draw down on this money in your account until they put your final stamp in pp. Think you mentioned that your in under consideration period.

Yes, you are right. Once I was asked to show my bank book again on the day that I went to collect my extension stamp. I had already moved the money out of my account to another so the account effectively had 0 baht in it but was still granted the visa. However, I knew from that point onwards that I was treading a very fine line spending that money before result day. I no longer touch it until I know the stamp is safely in my PP.

• Like 1

It boggles my mind that folks even when married and possibly have children, immigration can cause difficulties as in 'where the money is coming from', whats next ? send the man home ( when home is Thailand ) and break up a family........unbelievable 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

It boggles my mind that folks even when married and possibly have children, immigration can cause difficulties as in 'where the money is coming from', whats next ? send the man home ( when home is Thailand ) and break up a family........unbelievable 

From my experience, (though I do not think that IO's are systematically looking to cause trouble for people with families here), money always comes first. If you have the cash in the bank then you are good to go. The decision whether or not to approve or deny ones visa will always be a financial one. If you have questionable bank statements or anything else related to money that flags up on the IO's system then family or no family you are getting the boot and will have 7 days to plan the rest of your life.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

That is only if doing transfers from abroad to prove you have 40k baht of income.

Those that can still get proof of income from their embassy do not need the proof.

• Like 1

What Immigration can legally do and what an IO may choose to do, often differs.

90 day reports and TM30 reports are supposed to be free. My IO will not accept them without a bribe.

They have now upped the ante and begun to hint at special gifts they want for extensions of stay.

I have never found any way out of this, nor any hotline through which foreigner  can make anonymous reports without fear of reprisal. (If there is one please advise).

They used to rotate the staff at Imm offices but this lot have now been there for years. @UbonJoe any idea if another rotation is in the offing? They have gotten worse over time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What Immigration can legally do and what an IO may choose to do, often differs.

90 day reports and TM30 reports are supposed to be free. My IO will not accept them without a bribe.

They have now upped the ante and begun to hint at special gifts they want for extensions of stay.

I have never found any way out of this, nor any hotline through which foreigner  can make anonymous reports without fear of reprisal. (If there is one please advise).

They used to rotate the staff at Imm offices but this lot have now been there for years. @UbonJoe any idea if another rotation is in the offing? They have gotten worse over time

The Immigration staff at Kamphaeng Phet have been there for quite a while and are OK and farang friendly and don't seem to be looking for any bribes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The Immigration staff at Kamphaeng Phet have been there for quite a while and are OK and farang friendly and don't seem to be looking for any bribes.

You are lucky.  It does vary by office. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You are lucky.  It does vary by office. 

The one I used before KPP was open was in Nakhon Sawan and they were very good as well. Generally for a 90 day report, by the time you got in and opened your passport they were ready to scan it and print out the report. Another farang friendly Imm Office.

Back in the dim and distant past I used to go to Suan Phlu and that was a nightmare starting with trying to find a parking place, and inside there was a heaving mass of humanity and clouded with agents with dozens of passports.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Can't do 90 report via mail?

Why would you need a TM30 unless your changing address.

If your imm office is rogue then either use an agent or use different immigration office. Agree a lot of trouble depending on where someone is located.

Don't give in.