Covid re-entry insurance duration with retirmen visa.

I am in England and will return to Thailand in a few weeks time. My question is: "What must be the duation of cover of my covid insurance for my Thai Pass"

My Retirment Visa expires in about 4.5 months, but I plan to leave Thailand again in about 2 months from the date of my return.

3 hours ago, PaddiL46 said:

My Retirment Visa expires in about 4.5 months, but I plan to leave Thailand again in about 2 months from the date of my return.

Originally the insurance coverage had to cover the period that you would be stamped into Thailand. So in your case 4.5 months so you would require a policy of 5 months regardless of leaving prior to that.

This seems very unfair. For example a holder of a non O-A would be stamped in for 12 months even for short visit.

There was an article from Richard Barrow suggesting that a blanket period might be made for those with non imm extensions. 30 days was suggested.

I don't know what the current situation is and will be interested in some reports in this thread of what is actually required.

• Like 1

I asked a similar question in the British Embassy Consular Section forum. It kind of gives an update, but no actual clarification.  Maybe you want to add your concerns to the post, so that the British Embassy are more aware of our concerns.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1238086-the-new-requirement-for-insurance-coverage-of-at-least-50000-to-enter-thailand/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I came in a few weeks ago with a return ticket 3 weeks later, and my retirement visa expiring in March.  I only had to have insurance for my 3 week stay here.

Yes read similar report to yours.

This reminds me of the throw away ticket that some visa exempt entries use.

So for example, I just renewed my 12 month extension and if I flew back to Oz and reentered Thailand what stops me from having an onward flight (throw away) and obtaining minimum insurance. In reality I would be stamped in till Nov 2022. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Yes read similar report to yours.

This reminds me of the throw away ticket that some visa exempt entries use.

So for example, I just renewed my 12 month extension and if I flew back to Oz and reentered Thailand what stops me from having an onward flight (throw away) and obtaining minimum insurance.

Wink, Wink. LOL

I found the cost of a return ticket was only $100 more than a one way.  It was with Emirates and they provided the insurance. 

I'm finding this often now.  Wasn't the case years ago.  Returns are not much different in price than one ways.  I've thrown away a few tickets recently.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Originally the insurance coverage had to cover the period that you would be stamped into Thailand. So in your case 4.5 months so you would require a policy of 5 months regardless of leaving prior to that.

This was never stated on the Thailand Pass website, it was just an interpretation by some posters here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

.  Returns are not much different in price than one ways.

I believe the Europe/UK folk have some nice deals.

For Australians the return flight is significantly more expensive than one way.

So indeed if this insurance requirement is not clarified I will just rent or buy throw away onward ticket. Indicating stay of few weeks. Hopefully won't come to that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This was never stated on the Thailand Pass website, it was just an interpretation by some posters here.

So what period of insurance will I require for reentry into Thailand with 11 months validity on my reentry permit.

BTW that interpretation you referred to by a some posters was also how uj viewed it.

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I believe the Europe/UK folk have some nice deals.

For Australians the return flight is significantly more expensive than one way.

So indeed if this insurance requirement is not clarified I will just rent or buy throw away onward ticket. Indicating stay of few weeks. Hopefully won't come to that.

Jetstar and Scoot are selling now tickets to Thailand,  the legs for one way or return tickets are priced the same, the only difference is where the flight originates, much higher airport and other taxes when departing from Australia.

I was checking the ticket prices for a friend, starting around 9200 baht return from Sydney to Phuket early February with Scoot.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

So what period of insurance will I require for reentry into Thailand with 11 months validity on my reentry permit.

Afaik they never made any official statement regarding this, which is why I opened this thread:

As long as the duration of stay period which you indicate on the Thailand Pass application matches the insurance period, they will issue the Thailand Pass.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik they never made any official statement regarding this, which is why I opened this thread:

As long as the duration of stay period which you indicate on the Thailand Pass application matches the insurance period, they will issue the Thailand Pass.

And your return ticket date, I would guess?

16 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I was checking the ticket prices for a friend, starting around 9200 baht return from Sydney to Phuket early February with Scoot

Yes Jetstar had some really good prices starting 2022. Problem is the deals were return only and first leg is from Melb, Syd etc. Also was to Phuket.

Good for Oz folk living in Au and wanting holiday in Thailand. Not suitable for living in Thailand and first leg is exit from BKK.

Also the issue with Scoot is that think you will find they are not direct flights.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

And your return ticket date, I would guess?

Would have to be a requirement surely?

Otherwise insurance policies of 14 days will be popular.

Actually the 14 day was not a joke.

Report not long ago of chap flew into Phuket and had insurance for couple of weeks however had (think it was) non B. Can't recall the detail. Was stamped in must longer than the short term insurance policy he actually had.

You can rent/purchase an officially verifiable ticket/booking (expiration is ~ 21 days max) with PNR for ~ $20. These are widely offered, used and accepted.

Not sure about the OPs question though, I too am waiting for clarification on this point. I guess most will get through the ThailandPass process with 30 days insurance. Not sure about the airline, or arriving Immigration/health authorities? Worst case? Maybe the option to purchase additional term on the spot?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Excellent news. I will request insurance for 2 weeks.

You will get the Thailand Pass. What we don't know for certain though is what immigration does.

But according to the report of "poorsucker" in my topic, immigration doesn't care about insurance stuff.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But according to the report of "poorsucker" in my topic, immigration doesn't care about insurance stuff

Yes think that was the report I mentioned. He flew into Phuket?

In any event I will be hoping to see a more definitive set of rules regarding the required insurance.

The simple solution would have been set period across the board. 

Perhaps 30 days insurance required.

Lets keep this thread going until we have a definite answer to this insurance question.........I really  hate wishy washy policies.....But it might just come down to waiting for  O visa holders to try out the 30 day insurance and report back...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

Lets keep this thread going until we have a definite answer to this insurance question.........I really  hate wishy washy policies.....But it might just come down to waiting for  O visa holders to try out the 30 day insurance and report back...

Many have already reported how it worked for them.  Not sure what your question is?  For me, the insurance needed to cover the duration of my stay.  I came in a few weeks ago, no problems.

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Many have already reported how it worked for them.  Not sure what your question is?  For me, the insurance needed to cover the duration of my stay.  I came in a few weeks ago, no problems.

Well I think there has been some speculation that 30 days of insurance might be good enough for a O visa holder even if their visa was good for many months more.....

Yes I already knew about the more well known the insurance needed to cover the entire time of your visa...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well I think there has been some speculation that 30 days of insurance might be good enough for a O visa holder even if their visa was good for many months more.....

Yes I already knew about the more well known the insurance needed to cover the entire time of your visa...

I'm an O visa holder and got insurance for 21 days.  The duration of my stay.  Even though my visa is valid until next March.  No problems.  Though they did question this before issuing the approval.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm an O visa holder and got insurance for 21 days.  The duration of my stay.  Even though my visa is valid until next March.  No problems.  Though they did question this before issuing the approval.

Yes but you were actually only staying for 21 days.

What if in reality your plan was to stay for much longer. You confident just to have a 3 week policy in that situation.

• Thanks 2