Would it be a trouble if I apply for the yellow tabien baan at the different province from the registered address on the Thai driver's license? Also is it possible to register a vehicle in different province?

Zacuzzi

Hello, 

I actually have 2 questions regarding the "registered address".

First, let's assume that I have a driver's license from Chiang Mai (registered address in Chiang Mai), and I moved to Phuket after receiving the driver's license in Chiang Mai.  

Q1) If I apply for the yellow tabien baan in Phuket, and if my registered address on the driver's license is Chiang Mai, will it be a problem? 

Q2) What is the relationship between the province on the license plate (car) and the owner's registered address on a driver's license? I mean, if I moved to Phuket with a relatively new driver's license with registered address in Chiang Mai, and if I purchase a second-hand vehicle registered in Bangkok, do I have to change the license plate to Chiang Mai (Not Phuket) because my address on the driver's license is Chiang Mai? (I mean, unless I change my official address on the driver's license to Phuket, I cannot register my ownership and the license plate in Phuket? - or can I transfer the vehicle without changing the registered province (i.e. the car keeps its registration in BKK, and thus keeps the BKK license plate.) 

Thank you very much for your time and help. I would really appreciate it if any of you could answer my 2 questions.

Kap khun krap.

Edited by Zacuzzi

You can pretty much ignore your address and passport number on your driver licence, update it when it's time to renew sure, but for day to day, it hardly matters.

You can keep your car plated in any province, only problem is that to transfer it when you sell it on, you have to go to the original province to make a move to the new province and new owner, say in your case, if you want to sell your car, you'd have to go back to Chiang Mai to move it to wherever the buyer is first. Otherwise, for paying yearly tax and renewal, you can keep it in Chian mai even though you've moved.

If you move the plate to Bangkok now, it makes it a bit less hassle when you sell. plus some say having Bangkok plate attracts higher selling price if you care for that sort of thing.

• Thanks 1

I was told (by the DLT) that if my address was in Nakhon Ratchasima and I wanted to keep the bike I bought in Chiang Mai in the province permanently, I should register it in Nakhon Ratchasima and get new plates - which I did. Not a difficult process but as usual, time consuming and requires 2 visits to the DLT.  I was not required to go back to Chiang Mai to make the change, I simply had the registration book and the transfer document with a power of attorney from the previous owner with a copy of his passport.

Your driving licence won't affect any of the above - you're not required to show it at any stage.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zacuzzi said:

Q1) If I apply for the yellow tabien baan in Phuket, and if my registered address on the driver's license is Chiang Mai, will it be a problem? 

It would not be a problem to apply for yellow tambien ban with a drivers license that has a address in another province. After getting it you should change the address on your license.

You other questions belong on the Thailand motor forum.

• Thanks 1

Getting a yellow book also allows you to get a pink i.d card  easily although the value of that is moot. But getting a yellow book is quite a hassle even with a cooperative spouse. Took us weeks, involved loads of copies of marriage certificates, certified by my home country, then stamped by the Royal Thai Embassy, then translations of same, also legalised by the Thai offices here, and ditto passport which has to be certified by the embassy, translated, legalised etc. Repeated visits to Chan Wattana and of course payments to all and sundry, and finally before being handed the book form filling at the local amphur who insisted, demanded, refused to move on it, that I hired a translator at considerable expense because they refused to accept my wife - who speaks excellent English, was either honest or competent to translate. I eventually got the book and the only bright side was I had amassed so much legal paper that when it came to the annual extension based on marriage I had everything I could possibly need. The yellow book is of course tied to your residence in the home of someone, usually spouse, who has to agree it. So maybe it can only be done in the local government offices near to that house?