It’s expats, not tourists that are visiting Thailand: Business leader

webfact

Oh dear. I hate to say this but it's occasions like this I miss @Kadilo

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thanet says it's all smoke and mirrors. 

Yep. Just like the whole SarS-CoV-2/Covid-19 situation now and from the very beginning. On an aside I wonder why we are not hearing about school closures since opening. I personally know of three in one amphur mueang in one province. I suspect these aren't the only ones in the entirety of this country.

57 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Yeah, the guy's right, they're so short of tourists that even the bigwig politicians are having to pretend they're loving it on the beach, lol.

PM-Prayut-stars-in-a-new-tourism-music-video.-Video-screencap-1000x600.jpg.6138474b32c35ab161693fe541d1abf8.jpg

OK let's address the elephant in the country. Many Thais have reached a level of prosperity where they may be asking themselves...Why are we still letting all these low-lives hang around our country?  Not everybody is missing the hordes of tourists like everyone on here makes it out to be.  I know a lot of people here that want their own countrymen to be able to come but do NOT want any Chinese, Indians, Arabs or Africans to show up here! Most on here are two-faced...look at the <deleted> going on in western nations against the above said people. Disclosure - I don't drink, but it hasn't kept me from partying hard. Most of you blowhards just want to return to the bar/gogo club/soapy massage/tail chasing days, but hide behind the Thais out of work and no tourists mantra that everyone likes to spout.  It's all B.S. and you know it. Man-up. Stop the Charade. Quit your pixxing and moaning. Still, I do like the fact that someone is willing to risk their neck to speak the truth - unlike some on this forum.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

I'm currently in Phuket and there are tourists coming....just not enough. Once the figures are collected for a month or two I expect the Thailand Pass and the PCR test on arrival to go away. The risks seems to be too small to be worth handling with obstacles like these. My prediction is Jan 2022 for proper reopening.

I do so hope so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Apart from a few souls "tourists are simply not coming to Thailand" said the business leader.

He called for the hoops and hurdles facing potential tourists to be removed but especially the on- arrival RT-PCR test.

That’s why Aussies are off to Cambodia or Vietnam! So true

Almost all above replies are short and brutally on point.  One thing inhibiting tourists is the ridiculous insurance requirements.  Even the most well to do persons, especially if older would baulk at having to pay the rates being charged.  I understand much of this began due to unpaid hospital bills.  But any international insurance meeting the required levels that are also applicable in Thailand should be acceptable for short or even long stays.  Perhaps charging every man, woman and child coming from an international destination whether by land, sea, or air, 1000-2000 baht on arrival and 5000-10000 baht for in country extensions of stay to be deposited in a fund for unpaid medical services at any hospital would be more acceptable and equitable for everyone.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not too sure there are many hiding behind the "Thais out of work mantra".............we need lots of tourists so the girls see it is worth their while coming back to BKK and Pattaya..........party on.

For the record, many who have partied with and married bar girls over the years have never set foot in Pattaya, or Phuket for that matter.  We've all done time in BKK, but could just have easily meet said girls online!

We all knew tourists were staying away.  That was predicted by every major tourist agency in the world.  Predictions of tourism recovery is anywhere from 2 to 5 years.  Has nothing to do with alcohol bans, PCR tests, or anything else.  Testing on arrival is just plain smart, as is limiting the sale of alcohol (sorry, the rich have shown why that is needed here).  As for Cambodia, well, I'd say its likely returning expats just like everywhere else... so no surprises there.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Early grey and cucumber sandwiches might be all that is on offer eventually.

Just as long as it's not Liptons..........and they don't cut the crusts off .............................................!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

i can go to cambodia easily from thailand now?  via plane.  no cambodian restrictions?  what about coming back to thailand after going to cambodia.?  i have to do one night quarantine again?  what about if i come back via land?  same one night quarantine required? so many questions, no answers?

anf a new thai pass