MOPH: Drinking alcohol increases risk of contracting COVID

webfact

1 hour ago, craighj said:

What a total and utter embarrassment to Thailand these stupid statements are!

Not much else can be said really.

How can the government  not see this totaly false medical statement,  and I'm sure no reputable doctor worth their salt would agree with him, as a loss of face for their countries medical status?  This actually  makes the whole system look flawed, lacking intelligence, and critical thinking skills to the rest of the world and medical field?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Although not a doctor.......

He feels qualified to make medical opinions which people should believe.

Here's a tip he missed. "Do not rub strong alcohol on your hands in the belief that it will kill virus germs. We advised doing this at the start of the pandemic but I AM telling you it's pointless"

3 hours ago, ronster said:

Wonder if he is actually qualified to be in his position like anutin !

So covid can tell if you are drinking alcohol be it at home , restaurant , bar or nightclub ? If so why not just ban sales of it all together if it’s that bad according to this genius !

If I take a boat out into the middle of the sea alone and open a beer will the deadly covid come find me ? ????????

No. It's lurking in the beer........????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tingtong said:

Does alcohol base hand sanitizer still ok?

Or should switch to a coffee or soy milk base product that less covid promoting?

Yes, as this practice isn’t in the ‘enjoyable’ category 

Practically everything enjoyable has had an article on it linked to covid telling us not to do it 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It does kinda make sense coming from the health department. Their job is the health of the Thai population.  And we are in the midst of a health crisis.

At any time did he say for people to go exercise?  Obesity is one of the main factors of having a sever case of covid. Last I saw 78% of sever cases were in people that are obese. So if his job is the health of the Thai population and we are in the midst of a health crisis that seems to be what he should focus on. 

Just know that clowns like this have been telling you 2 weeks to slow the spread for the last 612 days. Wear your mask, spray hand sanitizer on everything, close your businesses, schools, you can’t see your family, you can’t travel, you can’t go to the gym or park. That list goes on and on. The best one is get the jab, double jab and 4-6 months later get a booster because the jabs may now not be effective. Keep listening to these clowns because I’m not. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sleepwalker999 said:

I have this horrible feeling that what this particular government wants long term is an extremely conservative society where 'going out to drink' is really frowned upon at large. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Jan 15 is pushed back even further. 

I shouldn't worry. Before they get to that stage they have to go through the stage where drink driving is really frowned upon and that's never going to happen...

3 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

Maybe this moron ist just having a bad day today - because of yesterday?

' Yesterday , all my troubles seemed so far away , then I had another takeaway ............................'

Oh oh ..' I drank something wrong ..........................'                 Sorry , must get out more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

But there are medical reasons.

"Alcohol causes the muscles in the neck around the pharynx to be less effective," he said.

"Thus allowing Covid to more easily penetrate and get into the lungs.

"In addition alcohol weakens the white blood cells when Covid-19 germs enter the body," he continued.

""So it's easy to get infected."

Dean Martin (499x442).jpg

He failed to mention that imbibing large (or sometimes small) quantities of Thai beer also causes the rectal muscles to fail and the gut to over react leading to diarrhoea thereby emptying out all the virus that got into the throat. (Come on, it's no less plausible than his comment!)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, barney42bb said:

Absolute nonsense.

We are on the lash here in UK.

No Lockdowns.

Masks only mandatory in Hospitals and medical centres.

We respect those with exemptions.

Masks and lockdowns DON:T work.

Figures dropping like a Stone here of deaths and cases.

So Thailand..and the rest of you... Make your Vaccines..administer... Don't expect the Nations of dirty filthy farrangs to donate it for free.

Is that the UK which yesterday reported the third highest number of new infections? Over 38000 new infections from a population of 68m (up from 37111 on the previous day), Cases up 15% from last week.

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

And this man heads the Health Department???? Honestly?! Oh dear, oh dear...

"Alcohol causes the muscles in the neck around the pharynx to be less effective," he said. I'm sure he's basing this on the fact that the more you drink the more slurred your speech. Not allowing for the fact that the alcohol is not affecting the neck and pharynx so much as the brain which is not efficiently compis mentis to send clear information to the vocal chords.

Just now, Flink said:

"Alcohol causes the muscles in the neck around the pharynx to be less effective," he said. I'm sure he's basing this on the fact that the more you drink the more slurred your speech. Not allowing for the fact that the alcohol is not affecting the neck and pharynx so much as the brain which is not efficiently compis mentis to send clear information to the vocal chords.

Surprised he didn't add that Covid is heavier than air so the effect of alcohol on the legs that causes people to fall down when drunk means they'll be exposed to higher concentrations of the Covid virus at floor level.

• Like 1

I have heard some total ballcocks in my time, but this really does take the cake. Where do they find these morons with brains like degenerative lice? I know the Thai education system is well below par, but his is straight from the gutter. Any sensible person would keep their mouth shut rather than spout such rubbish. BUT, perhaps I forget, this is TIT!!!

He got his his 'data' from a anti-alcohol website in the US and even they had to concede that your throat muscles contract but ONLY...

With prolonged, heavy consumption

He also seems to be saying that if you breath deeply you'll get covid and he is charge of the Health Department...?

38 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Is that the UK which yesterday reported the third highest number of new infections? Over 38000 new infections from a population of 68m (up from 37111 on the previous day), Cases up 15% from last week.

Won't argue with your numbers.

I will say look at the the number of tests and more importantly the number of hospital admissions, the last being the important number.

Edited by overherebc

Definitely a kiss butt to P reply in this op... Loosened muscles don't help or hurt a virus travelling through the body.  And what is this stupid comment about alcohol reducing white blood cells. Has he forgotten that alcohol is being used on everything to prevent spread of covid haha

2 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

How can the government  not see this totaly false medical statement,  and I'm sure no reputable doctor worth their salt would agree with him, as a loss of face for their countries medical status?  This actually  makes the whole system look flawed, lacking intelligence, and critical thinking skills to the rest of the world and medical field?

Reversing themselves to the Middle Ages.

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Not sure why your emphasis is on 'new infections'. Given that the UK tests more people than most countries in the world we're always going to get a high number of positive tests. Plus Covid isn't going away and we'll probably all get it. New infection numbers are becoming less relevant now. 

The important stats are deaths (down 11.7% in last 7 days) and hospital admissions (down 3.8% in last 7 days). Considering the UK is entering winter I'd say this is good news. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Edited by CG1 Blue
Added link
  • Like 1