MOPH: Drinking alcohol increases risk of contracting COVID

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The practicalities of sitting in a bar were paramount - people would stay in close proximity for a long time and forget themselves and forget the rules

So they purchase alcohol and meet for a drink elsewhere... citing bars as a hotspot for people mixing is pure geography. They meet up with family or friends at other venues and carry-on life as normal.

Trying to give a politically anti-alcohol agenda a pseudo-scientific look is ridiculous.

His justification for not opening bars, pubs and nightlife seems clumsy when you know how viruses spread, that has little to do with alkehol. Not all of those who have received Covid or who are in intensive care units are alcoholics.

Each individual measure / prohibition is always viewed in comparison to other measures. For example in gyms where people are physically active and breathe accordingly, coffee shops and restaurants where a lot of people sit close together for a long time or people in fully occupied trains and buses.

That is OK.

But it's not OK in bars and pubs. People also sit there together indoors. The attempt now to isolate the alcohol as the only cause is ridiculous. Even his confused theory of a weakened muscle doesn't help much.

It would make more sense to get motorbikes and cars off the road for a couple of months, this would guaranty saving lives. These people could not teach a fish to swim.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world".  Louis Pasteur 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

The WHO already know this. It's on their website. Not sure about the :neck muscles relaxing", but they state many reasons why alcohol consumption can increase risk of infection (alcohol affexcts the immuns system negatively, for a start). 

Typical for the TV alcoholics to get their knickers in a knot over this story. 

Quite. It is only a certain sector of the population that are concerned about bars being open, wherever you go. 

I was in the UK Aug/Sept, an unforgettable experience, you could walk into a Wetherspoons and get served immediately.

The only busy bars were those full of youngsters destined to become covid patients.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"Alcohol causes the muscles in the neck around the pharynx to be less effective," he said.

"Thus allowing Covid to more easily penetrate and get into the lungs.

"In addition alcohol weakens the white blood cells when Covid-19 germs enter the body," he continued.

""So it's easy to get infected."

Sounds like he is suffering from alcohol ingestion himself!

I see the extra risks of alcohol consumption now... it makes you think like this!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, craighj said:

What a total and utter embarrassment to Thailand these stupid statements are!

Not much else can be said really.

If you want real embarrassment, as opposed to the insignificant TVF kind, you are looking at the wrong government.

Three-quarters of the public are concerned about corruption in government, including seven in 10 of 2019 Conservative voters, according to a new poll.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-corruption-poll-mps-b1959268.html

4 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

The practicalities of sitting in a bar were paramount - people would stay in close proximity for a long time and forget themselves and forget the rules. 

But there are medical reasons ...

If this is all true, then why are bars allowed to open in Phuket?  One of the deputy ministers of health was down in Phuket observing the bars along Bangla Rd to see how / if these establishments were obeying the social distancing and such.

If you say the name of that island using the correct English pronunciation for the letters "ph", you will understand why.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

The practicalities of sitting in a bar were paramount - people would stay in close proximity for a long time and forget themselves and forget the rules. 

But there are medical reasons ...

If this is all true, then why are bars allowed to open in Phuket?  One of the deputy ministers of health was down in Phuket observing the bars along Bangla Rd to see how / if these establishments were obeying the social distancing and such.

And Kamala,, all open,,,, 

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

If they are going to allow bars to illegally stay open better to let us drinking out of bottles.

After a serious illness and when talking to my father he asked me if everything was back to normal. I said yes except I was finding it difficult to drink beer out of cans. His retort was ' I should hope not" .

Cultured people people pour the contents of bottles and cans into a glass and then consume. I do not consume my beer on the steps, outside a 7-Eleven.

Edited by VocalNeal

5 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

But there are medical reasons.

"Alcohol causes the muscles in the neck around the pharynx to be less effective," he said.

"In addition alcohol weakens the white blood cells when Covid-19 germs enter the body," he continued.

Dean Martin (499x442).jpg

Your only making a fool of yourself 5555555

66973171-5802-40BD-9CA0-8D6A88B0BD55.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It does kinda make sense coming from the health department. Their job is the health of the Thai population.  And we are in the midst of a health crisis.

As soon as you said makes sense I burst out laughing .. Thai Gov Officials are just a bunch of corrupt mindless  illiterates who have not given a thought for the people and their hunger … This has to be the most stupidest BS they have came out with yet and we’re drunk when they made it

• Like 1

You know maybe they should ban eating too.  Because if you sit around stuffing your face and become obese, this really is a COVID risk.  At some point in time I hope governments provide the tools we need to avoid or not suffer from this virus (vaccines, medicines, clean transportation, safe schools  etc.) and let us decide how to live and to survive in this environment.  Spreading fake information and not telling the truth is quite harmful.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555 Give me a break in the neck around the pharynx

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not everyone,

You need the correct family, influence and of course, money to be this daft and still graduate.

This is straight out of Goebbels 101.  

The following supposed quotation of Joseph Goebbels has been repeated in numerous books and articles and on thousands of web pages, yet none of them has cited a primary source. According to the research and reasoning of Randall Bytwerk, it is an unlikely thing for Goebbels to have said.[12]

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

There is no way the doctor making these claims could ever pass a medical  board in other countries making unfounded,  unscientific, claims such as these.   In fact the science supports the opposite  of what he says.  I honestly  have been Naive and believed  that the masses were intelligent enough to see false statements.  One learns something  new about the world daily dont they?

• Like 1