MOPH: Drinking alcohol increases risk of contracting COVID

webfact

There are actually lots of very wowserish Thai people, largely among the middle class, particularly noticeable to me when I rented in the vast Lumpini apartment building complex in Rangsit where no alcohol was available at the 2 7/11 stores on site. It's not a country in which I am keen to spend time anymore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fangless said:

What was he drinking when he spouted this nonsense?

1 hour ago, Kevin Taylor said:

I dont even care anymore. In fact I thank these Puritans in government for forcing me to open my eyes and see where Thailand is heading, its all gone too far now I dont know where it will end but I have seen enough, I am making escape plans as we speak.

Plenty of airplanes leaving Thailand.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I, for one, will now start to exercise the neck muscles around my pharynx so that I can more effectively block covid. 

Seriously I’ve heard more logical things coming from even the most stupid anti-maskers and anti-Vaxxers out there.

Good thought.

Wonder if he is actually qualified to be in his position like anutin !

So covid can tell if you are drinking alcohol be it at home , restaurant , bar or nightclub ? If so why not just ban sales of it all together if it’s that bad according to this genius !

If I take a boat out into the middle of the sea alone and open a beer will the deadly covid come find me ? ????????

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The practicalities of sitting in a bar were paramount - people would stay in close proximity for a long time and forget themselves and forget the rules. 

Does this mean that alcohol on incoming flights is banned ? Don't know about the rest of you but i try to down as much as i can on the 9.30pm flight out of the Uk to get a good nights sleep on the plane

• Like 1

The man is, sort of, right. 

Increasing evidence suggests that light to moderate amounts of polyphenol-rich alcoholic beverages like wine or beer could have health benefits. Scientists have long debated the effects of alcohol on immune function, showing on the one hand, that high doses of alcohol consumption can directly suppress a wide range of immune responses, and that alcohol abuse is associated with an increased incidence of a number of infectious diseases. On the other hand, moderate alcohol consumption seems to have a beneficial impact on the immune system compared to alcohol abuse or abstinence. Therefore, the link between alcohol consumption, immune response, as well as infectious and inflammatory processes remains not completely understood.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17922947/

I am not too sure about the effect of slack neck muscles on the ease of being infected. The aggressive nature of Covid-19 would probably not give a toss about that as it it inhaled. 

I note the Covid-19 infection is referred to as a germ. Maybe just a typo or maybe not.

Add this to the already-voluminous litany of <deleted> spouted by this Govt's legions of white-coated experts.

"Wear masks inside your own homes and cars; wear masks while making love to your wife / partner; dogs and pets can transmit Covid, etc etc". ???? The hilarity continues apace.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Of course it seems a given that alcohol weakens the immune system - thus making you more susceptible for illnesses in general. But to use this as an argument specifically in the context of Covid is really much exaggerated and weird.

Following the argument you would need to restrict alcohol consumption to help prevent cancer as well. And a number of other ailments. So no more drinking in public at all, folks - and close all those bars and you name it. Or only serve tea there image.gif.e7dcadd9f1f44fa0f797ec9259f00658.gif

But what you forget that if this inane burble was true, there would be a total world wide ban on alcohol sales so you cannot drink at home with friends as well!!! ????????????????????????????????

In addition to the threat of contracting COVID 19 in a bar or in other areas of close socializing there are many other reasons to limit the un-responsible consumption of alcohol.  And yes, I do have an occasional but rare alcoholic beverage.  I am not sure which is the bigger threat, COVID or the drinking driver.  Just look at the continual carnage on Thai roads.  Many of which could be eliminated by strong enforcement of the road laws by a mobile police force.  Want to see possible COVID infections and accidents in the making?  Just go to any public beach on a weekend or holiday and observe the alcohol flowing among many  unmasked and un-distanced persons.

Total nonsense from this ridiculous doctor. No such study exists proving his offbeat and fear mongering allegations. Where do they find these truly substandard people? 

Lock him up and take his medical license away. This guy is a menace to civilized society! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, phills2k1 said:

Let's call a spade a spade here. Opening bars/clubs is absolutely going to cause a rise in cases. It's just logic that masses of people in tight spaces who are there for a while and talking more loudly will do that. 

However, with the vaccinations, you can't delay it forever, so just rip the bandaid now (and I say this as someone who was labeled a doomsayer back in April and May).  These poor people have suffered enough financially

why does everyone on this forum ignore the deaths ....        

I totally agree, he must have been walking next to his shoes when he said this. After all washing hands 20/30/50 times a day with alcohol, any doctor would tell you that liquid goes through the pores and can reach the blood stream. Please, don't ask me to write down his name.

35 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

.Dr So Wat said .............................people in close proximity for a long time forget themselves.  I used to forget myself when drinking many, many years ago.  Had to go back to the pub next day to see if I was still there !  Didn't remember driving home .

Most of the places I used to drink in, in Bangkok, seemed to have a stiffening effect on some of my muscles.

• Haha 2