Grab v. Bolt - fare estimates

Speedhump

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

A noodle soup stall in Pattaya charged thai 40 baht falang 60, you probably think that's fine, only 20 baht difference

For a noodle soup? Let me think......hmmmmm.....Yeah, no probs. as long as it taste good. But, on the other hand, I have not put myself in a foreign country for the rest of my life to have such small economical problems. I guess it´s everyone to their own, right? 

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Hurray! After this discussion we can all have the luxury to get the cheapest price and save 20 baht on every 200 baht fare. 

For some reason, I start to wonder why a certain kind of people even think about moving abroad, as all they think about is to save 25 cent here and 50 cent there.

Must be a terrible life to live under such economic pressure in a foreign country.

In Pattaya, the maximum Bolt fare is 100 baht or so. A regular taxi is 200 baht minimum, sometimes 300 baht. 

• Confused 1

Bolt is so good, I use it a lot. Which means I do run into annoying drivers.

One annoying practice is for a driver to respond when they are obviously home with their car parked outside. So, Bolt says they are coming in a minute, but they just sit at home, thinking about showing up.

Another bother is when the driver will respond just as they are passing me on a one way street and it may take them five minutes to come back, which they rarely do.

21 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

In Pattaya, the maximum Bolt fare is 100 baht or so. A regular taxi is 200 baht minimum, sometimes 300 baht. 

Yes, and this was a thread that compare Bolt with Grab. But feel free to just stumble in with your merry self, and talk regular taxis that not even turn on the meter.

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, and this was a thread that compare Bolt with Grab. But feel free to just stumble in with your merry self, and talk regular taxis that not even turn on the meter.

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Hurray! After this discussion we can all have the luxury to get the cheapest price and save 20 baht on every 200 baht fare. 

For some reason, I start to wonder why a certain kind of people even think about moving abroad, as all they think about is to save 25 cent here and 50 cent there.

Must be a terrible life to live under such economic pressure in a foreign country.

11 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Grab only shows 'book now' giving you no idea of cost. This seems poor of Grab.

Your statement is 100% wrong. You must not be looking in the right spot. I use Grab all of the time and it has always shown the price, before you hit "book". 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

Your statement is 100% wrong. You must not be looking in the right spot. I use Grab all of the time and it has always shown the price, before you hit "book". 

You've misread this thread. I already said that. Read more carefully before you become judge and jury next time? ????

47 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I don´t really know what your point is, with just copying two of my posts together. It might be that you are trying to prove that I said that I like regular taxis, and that I like rip offs by making up a price without a meter running. In that case, please show me where I posted that.

If you can´t do that. Then again, this thread was about the difference in price between Bolt and Grab taxis. Hope you get that know, after I explained it two times for you.

Besides that, If I happened to get ripped off by a bad taxi driver? Then so be it. If I happened to pay 300 baht for something another person payed 100 for? Then so be it. Not that it happens, but I would not talk about it and complain on Thai Visa like a little cry baby.

12 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

@Speedhump

Please do ignore the Resident Clown above. He is clearly so miserable and bitter everyday that he feels compelled to openly judge other members who are simply *asking* (not 'complaining' or 'crying') a very normal question.

You probably figured it out now it seems? I.e. Press "Book Now" to see the options and pricing.

With regards to Bolt vs. Grab, I'm pretty certain that Bolt will always be cheaper than Grab, in every single instance. Would be happy to hear otherwise from any other posters. This is probably because Grab takes a considerable commission from their drivers, whereas Bolt does not.

I find the only real advantage of Grab is that it can automatically translate your messages into Thai for the driver and vice versa. Also, you don't need to have cash-on-hand as you do for Bolt. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, in fact you can back out after 'confirm pick-up' but before 'book'. I still didn't try Bolt but have hardly used Grab in the past two years anyway due to the general social circumstances. 

8 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Bolt is so good, I use it a lot. Which means I do run into annoying drivers.

One annoying practice is for a driver to respond when they are obviously home with their car parked outside. So, Bolt says they are coming in a minute, but they just sit at home, thinking about showing up.

Another bother is when the driver will respond just as they are passing me on a one way street and it may take them five minutes to come back, which they rarely do.

One thing to be mindful of with Bolt is that the driver doesn’t know where you’re going until they pick you up so I have had a driver turn up & say that he didn’t want to do the Wongamat-Bangkok journey (can’t say I blame him as this was during the time when you weren’t supposed to be travelling between provinces).

I now message the driver to let him know I’m going to Bangkok & the only other time the driver didn’t want to go, he put me in touch with his friend who took us (& became our regular guy for the next 3 trips back & to).

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 9:52 PM, Atlantis said:

@Speedhump

With regards to Bolt vs. Grab, I'm pretty certain that Bolt will always be cheaper than Grab, in every single instance. Would be happy to hear otherwise from any other posters. This is probably because Grab takes a considerable commission from their drivers, whereas Bolt does not.

This is not true. I have compared them occasionally, and sometimes it is Bolt that is cheaper and sometimes it is Grab. 

On 11/20/2021 at 1:32 PM, Mike Teavee said:

So you want to book a trip to Bangkok from Wongamat & Bolt comes back at <1.300 THB, Grab > 2,500… 

Still poh-pohing the saving? 

My GrabTaxi says 1,117-1,541 Baht from where I am and so far it always has been much cheaper then the lowest estimated fare even if I include the 20 baht pre-booking fee so I would guess this trip with meeter would end up a bit below 1,000 Baht, JustGrab price is 1,770, GrabCar 1,810 Baht. And when I copare with Bolt from the same location Bolt say 1,113 Baht.

7 hours ago, zig said:

This is not true. I have compared them occasionally, and sometimes it is Bolt that is cheaper and sometimes it is Grab. 

Where have you been using them?  Like Atlantis and others, I have never had Grab price out cheaper than Bolt.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Question about BOLT....just installed the app and seemingly there is no other payment method other than cash available. Is this the case or is there something in addition I need to do to make that option available ?

Cash only in Thailand.

• Thanks 1