As Thailand reopens, signs of economic recovery are visible

Jonathan Fairfield

53 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I just don't know what 'economic statistics' means anymore. I only know one would be wise not to put too much faith in them.

In 2019 Tourism was reported to be 18.8% of Thailand's economy. Okay, that was both foreign and domestic, but Covid put a hit on both. If I'm generous and say Tourism only took a 50% hit, that still would rob the economy of close to 10% of GDP. "Somehow", the reported fall in total GDP is a sliver of that, even though many factories also shut down due to Covid clusters. Lose tourism, temporarily lose factories, yet only lose a tiny bit of GDP? Wonders never cease.

Did rice exports surge? Did healthcare soar in terms of its impact on GDP? Maybe the changes to accounting rules (banks allowed to record imputed interest as revenue, even though borrowers were not paying) had a great impact?

When I walk along Silom and Sukhumvit or Beach Road and Second Road, and see blocks of businesses shuttered, I wonder how the economy made up for those losses so it did not impact the GDP bottom line. The cynic in me suspects some accounting shananigans, but I cannot find data to prove me right or wrong. Common sense seems to say one thing, but maybe there's stuff I'm missing.

I get the feeling that even if Tourism was downplayed in the 2020 and 2021 'official' GDP numbers, it will somehow and miraculously get added weight if arrivals suddenly jump.

I remember years ago when another regional nation---China---once released its 4th Quarter GDP number in mid-December. That suggested to me that I should put a lot less faith in officially issued data.

Contradicts most of the above posts but agree.  If inbound tourism amounted to anywhere close to 20% of GDP we would be experiencing larger drops in total GDP.  What amazes me, not being economist, is how such small changes(2-5%) in GDP cause recessions.

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

Looking at recent government projections, I think they are realistic with the exception of 2022 which I think well be much worse than expected.  Policies will adjust over the next 12 months and sadly insane tourism will return too soon.  This article and the 2022 forecast are just attempting to give unrealistic hope to those that are struggling.  Not a good plan IMO.

Edited by atpeace

Below are the GDP statistics.  Last = 2020, Previous = 2019.   PPP is purchasing power parity to enable mor emeaningful inter-country comparisons.  Tourism is not an individual component.  Clearly it has contributions from almost all of the main components, administration, construction, transport, utilities, etc.  I would be interested to see how the aggregation of the shares of the other components to derive the contribution of tourism to GDP.  Does nayone have that?

Related Last Previous Unit Reference
GDP 501.79 544.26 USD Billion Dec/20
GDP per capita 6199.19 6617.54 USD Dec/20
GDP per capita PPP 17286.87 18453.47 USD Dec/20
GDP From Utilities 66986.00 77331.00 THB Million Sep/21
GDP From Transport 136829.00 126500.00 THB Million Sep/21
GDP From Public Administration 139246.00 133855.00 THB Million Sep/21
GDP From Mining 46763.00 51950.00 THB Million Sep/21
GDP From Manufacturing 646959.00 704248.00 THB Million Sep/21
GDP From Construction 80613.00 86918.00 THB Million Sep/21
GDP From Agriculture 2337023.00 2389401.00 THB Million Sep/21
  • Thanks 1

According to the statistics compiled by the World Tourism Organisation international tourism expenditures in Thailand in current US$ were 16.852 billion in 2019. That year GDP was 544.26 billion so international tourism spending accounted for 3.1% of GDP. Of course entities in Thailand spent money on utilities, transport, construction, agriculture etc to facilitate the tourism spending but to include those figures would be double counting. Similar to a shop adding the cost of its raw materials to its sales and saying that total is its turnover.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And it's only a small part of the GDP....

Well, here they seem to count only the money tourists actually pay personally to Thais as part of the tourist element of GDP. They don't seem to include all the support industries, food production, transport, and everything else that is needed to provide the services the tourists need. Just because you're a rice farmer in Isaan doesn't mean you're not dependant on tourism. Without tourist dollars your customers can't afford to buy tour product. The tourism factor of the GDP is far larger than they want to admit. It's like when they shut down a car manufacturing plant. The loss of jobs at the plant is small compared to the job losses elsewhere in the materials production companies who now have no market for their goods and must completely renovate their production system in order to create new products to sell. 

• Like 2

I guess my neighbor thinks it is going to get better she has put up a for rent sign on her town house which  has been empty for more than a year. There is more activity around the old town in Chiang Mai. But that could be just the increase of Thai tourist up from Bangkok. There are more farangs around than say 6 months ago or even 3 months. More out on rented motorbikes and the aimless walk of a tourist is apparent.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

and yet inflation is sky rocketing here. I see everyday prices jumping a lot. Friday bread cost 32 baht, today 40

yes I've noticed prices on most things soaring i do the shopping as the bride has to work so tend to notice it more