As Thailand reopens, signs of economic recovery are visible

Jonathan Fairfield

There are businesses in Thailand that are surviving because of the local population of Thais and expats, and that is a good thing.

With so many places boarded up, that shows that there were a lot of businesses that relied on the international tourists.

It will take a few years for some of these places to open again, if they do at all.  Until the restrictions end, and people can

travel freely, the tourist numbers will not be very large.  I doubt that until 2023, there will be a large increase of

international travelers.   Don't forget that in many places in the world the 4th or 5th wave of this COVID pandemic

is happening, and the number of cases are spiking. In Europe it seems as though lots of places are getting new

restrictions and lock downs. I am glad to see that Austria became very serious with this pandemic.  It will take lots of

countries to act the same as Austria before this pandemic get more under control.  Of course the freedom seekers, and

anti vax bunches will keep up their fight, until most of them get sick from COVID. That is the nice thing about the delta

variant, it is so contagious and still deadly that a lot of people are in hospital from it. I am just trying to be a realist

about the pandemic. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

That is the nice thing about the delta

variant, it is so contagious and still deadly that a lot of people are in hospital from it

Seriously ?

Well, I must say that my idea of what constitutes a nice thing, is  diametrically opposed to your own 

¯\_()_/¯

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

These goons will say anything, rather than admit the shutdowns were excessive, and tourism has been sabotaged and left limping along like a soldier returning from the trenches after WWI. 

Some mistakes just cannot be undone. 

These excessive restrictions have been insane IMO. 

As for not being able to undo the mistakes, 100% confident Thailand will be fine in a few years and probably even later next year.  Shttt happens and some think the sky is falling while others try to make the best of this tedious period.  Compared to past world disasters the last 100 years this has been a walk in the park albeit with a mask.  Many cherish the drama and never want it to end IMO.

Think it may be time for you to move on from Thailand and you can always return.   You seem to be very displeased with Thailand which is fine and your concerns are obviously sincere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We can rely on you Sandy to spin the truth. No it was mentioned by numerous government officials. perhaps take a look back and you will seek the facts.

I was interrupted and had to leave the post. to continue.

There isn't a country in the world that doesn't have politicians and academics with differing views and politicians that follow the wind.

Many on this forum however, have taken the exploitation of differing text to a whole new level in pursuit of government vilification. How sad is that?

The UK population should be hanging their heads in shame for pushing the most prolific political liar in modern times on to the world stage.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The UK population should be hanging their heads in shame for pushing the most prolific political liar in modern times on to the world stage.

You need to find a more relevant post for your political ranting and denigration of UK residents; this post is about the economic recovery of Thailand.

¯\_()_/¯

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:17 PM, rocky123 said:

The elite, new world order, agenda21/30 is in full swing, globally. This whole c19 is not about controlling a virus, . WakeyWakey sleepy heads. The clock is ticking

You reckon the elites of the world can get together, stop plouging their own local furrows and agree on a common strategy do you?

Ha ha! Conspiracy Theorists always make me laugh with their lack of application of logical thought

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The primary reasons we will stay, if we stay are budgetary. If money was no object, we would move next month. Likely, to Mexico. Alot more civilized. And a rosier future. 

This  I can understand even though it isn't my predicament.  I've been here for the better part of 25 years now and try to roll with the changes.  Some have been easier than others. The best medicine for  being in a bad state of mind is to completely capsize the boat and try to rearrange what you have left on a raft.  Silly analogy but maybe it is time to throw caution to the wind and start a life in a new area of Thailand and develop new interests.  Probably sound like  a preacher but not the case. I've created black spots in my mind and have lived there for long periods.  Odd how we do this when it never leads to a satisfying end.

Anyhow, you obviously are intelligent or at least you write well.  Sure you will figure it out. Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:40 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You need to find a more relevant post for your political ranting and denigration of UK residents; this post is about the economic recovery of Thailand.

¯\_()_/¯

You need to do a reality check. This thread, like many others, is nothing more than an excuse to vilify the Thai government.

When posters would rather call the politicians liars rather than actually addressing the Thai economic situation it opens the door to comparisons on how other governments behave.

Before slinging the mud they should remember there is an old saying about stones and glasshouses.

It would appear I am not the only one that takes a dim view of the Westminster culture,

Three-quarters of the public are concerned about corruption in government, including seven in 10 of 2019 Conservative voters, according to a new poll.

It comes after Boris Johnson said that Britain is not “remotely a corrupt country” as a sleaze row engulfed the Conservatives after the botched attempt to block Owen Paterson’s suspension from Parliament.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-corruption-poll-mps-b1959268.html

On 11/22/2021 at 4:39 AM, Stargeezr said:

With so many places boarded up, that shows that there were a lot of businesses that relied on the international tourists. 

Nowhere boarded up around here, but then there are no tourists around here. You will only find tourist problems in tourist areas and that is only a small part of Thailand.

This area has expanded quite significantly since the pandemic started. Many baled out of the cities and tourist areas, came home and created jobs for themselves.

The contribution to GDP from tourism was split 12% international and 8% domestic. The reduction in international tourists is not life threatening, although some would want to see it that way, but the way the world is heading the 12% will never be recovered and Thailand must look to other revenue streams to supplement GDP.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:29 AM, sandyf said:

You need to do a reality check. This thread, like many others, is nothing more than an excuse to vilify the Thai government.

When posters would rather call the politicians liars rather than actually addressing the Thai economic situation it opens the door to comparisons on how other governments behave.

Before slinging the mud they should remember there is an old saying about stones and glasshouses.

It would appear I am not the only one that takes a dim view of the Westminster culture,

Three-quarters of the public are concerned about corruption in government, including seven in 10 of 2019 Conservative voters, according to a new poll.

It comes after Boris Johnson said that Britain is not “remotely a corrupt country” as a sleaze row engulfed the Conservatives after the botched attempt to block Owen Paterson’s suspension from Parliament.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-corruption-poll-mps-b1959268.html

Firstly, I do not need to do a reality check, and I certainly don't need you telling me that I do. Secondly, you need to adhere to Forum Netiquette rule 1.

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Firstly, I do not need to do a reality check, and I certainly don't need you telling me that I do. Secondly, you need to adhere to Forum Netiquette rule 1.

Obviously chosen to forget what you said, a reality check is missing as are lessons in netiquette.

"You need to find a more relevant post for your political ranting and denigration of UK residents; this post is about the economic recovery of Thailand."

On 11/23/2021 at 7:29 AM, sandyf said:

From this Forum’s Netiquette:

"1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes, colors or use unusually large emoticons. It can be difficult to read"

I know they've used the American spelling for colour, but surely you understood. 

On 11/22/2021 at 11:29 PM, sandyf said:

Those that promoted the most bright and shining light are usually the most corrupt. 

On 11/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, spidermike007 said:

The economic destructive is on a massive and historic scale. Nobody knows how high unemployment is right now. I suspect it is over 30% nationwide. Alot of hurt right now. Alot of pain for the locals. I really feel for them. Where is the hope? Where is the promise of a rosy tomorrow? What is the future of the nation? 

I'm just back from getting a haircut in Soi Ari. Walking down Phaholyothin road for the first time in 7 months there were hardly any shops, restaurants, small businesses open as most were shuttered with name signs gone and replaced with "for rent/sale" - not like a few years ago. It used to be bustling and crowded but today virtually no foot traffic at 4pm on a nice cool breezy day. The main road would ordinarily have been jammed solid at this time on a Thursday - not today and no longer is there that frenetic energy in this part of the city. In front of Villa Market it used to be jammed with food trucks and franchises, now just a couple left. Barber shop had 3 out of 7 chairs unused and no customers waiting. Courtyard behind had 7 out of 10 kiosks with for rent signs. Saw maybe a dozen people while I enjoyed a cold drink. This just a small part of a big city in a big country. The economic hurt on a local level is enormous. Let alone any areas reliant on tourism.