Would Like To Visit Chiang Mai

Sanook77

Hi,

I've spent the past few months in Bangkok and Pattaya, but for my next trip to Thailand I'd like to visit Chiang Mai for the first time. I might stay there for either one or two months, so as in Bangkok and Pattaya, I'd prefer to have a serviced apartment as my base.

The most important aspects of the place I stay at is a stable, all-ports-open internet connection (preferably wired LAN), and being fairly close to shops and restaurants etc. I don't drive, so I like to be within walking distance of most places, or in the case of Bangkok, the Skytrain. Near Victory Monument I was paying 13,000 + 1,500 for the internet, but I'd be willing to pay up to 20,000 if my above needs could be met.

I'm not quite sure what to expect of Chiang Mai. I have a picture in my mind of a quiet, more cooler city as compared to Bangkok. I do also enjoy being in Pattaya, as I'm in easy walking distance of virtually anything I need, and my internet connection here has been great. Sometimes though, it would be nice to enjoy a more quiet area. I have been to Phuket too, but my experience of the internet connection there was poor, so I'd prefer to stay on the mainland.

Thanks.

Hi,

I've spent the past few months in Bangkok and Pattaya, but for my next trip to Thailand I'd like to visit Chiang Mai for the first time. I might stay there for either one or two months, so as in Bangkok and Pattaya, I'd prefer to have a serviced apartment as my base.

The most important aspects of the place I stay at is a stable, all-ports-open internet connection (preferably wired LAN), and being fairly close to shops and restaurants etc. I don't drive, so I like to be within walking distance of most places, or in the case of Bangkok, the Skytrain. Near Victory Monument I was paying 13,000 + 1,500 for the internet, but I'd be willing to pay up to 20,000 if my above needs could be met.

I'm not quite sure what to expect of Chiang Mai. I have a picture in my mind of a quiet, more cooler city as compared to Bangkok. I do also enjoy being in Pattaya, as I'm in easy walking distance of virtually anything I need, and my internet connection here has been great. Sometimes though, it would be nice to enjoy a more quiet area. I have been to Phuket too, but my experience of the internet connection there was poor, so I'd prefer to stay on the mainland.

Thanks.

ChiangMai isn't Bangkok and it also isn't really pedestrian friendly. Sidewalks seem to be sparse. And many conveniently located apartment complexes are also conveniently located next to bars and discos (i.e., providing you with loud music all night long).

If you spend a month or two here, I suggest you rent a motorbike. It will allow you to stay some place nice and also get to your desired shopping and restaurant venues. If you come as a pedestrian, you'll be using songtaews (red trucks) to go everywhere. Not fun.

ADSL is pretty standard in any apartment complex here. Usually they delivery it wirelessly to spend less on infrastructure.

Chiang Rai is quiet, easy to walk around, quite cool in the Wintertime and just the kind of place most Farangs claim to be looking for, but hardly anybody can actually stand living there.

No Gecko Books - which I DO have an interest in - and no Duke's - which I DON'T! :o

Chiang Rai is quiet, easy to walk around, quite cool in the Wintertime and just the kind of place most Farangs claim to be looking for, but hardly anybody can actually stand living there.

No Gecko Books - which I DO have an interest in - and no Duke's - which I DON'T! :o

UG settle down mate - he was asking about Chiang MAI not Chiang RAI.

someone get to you yesterday?

breathe in and out, in and out

CB

I know he was asking about Chiang Mai, but what he really wants is Chiang Rai, but very few people seem to last long there. :o

Still can't see the reference to Chiang Rai but whatever. Came in to see you last weekend (Sun morning) but missed you. Will try to catch up over the weekend.

CB

I know he was asking about Chiang Mai, but what he really wants is Chiang Rai, but very few people seem to last long there. :o

Still can't see the reference to Chiang Rai but whatever. Came in to see you last weekend (Sun morning) but missed you. Will try to catch up over the weekend.

CB

I was in Pattaya and Bangkok spending lots of money.

He didn't refer to Chiang RAI, I did, but I think that is the kind of place he thinks that he wants (quiet).

CB

I was in Pattaya and Bangkok spending lots of money.

He didn't refer to Chiang RAI, I did, but I think that is the kind of place he thinks that he wants (quiet).

Ahhh I thought you may have been recovering :D

Umm anyone actually provided any useful information to this poor guy re apartments?

Do you remember the name of the Apartment block near Chiang Mai Land? They are apparently pretty nice and have a lot of included services in the rent such as ADSL and cable TV.

Agree with you regarding Chiang Rai - it is nice, pleasant, and quiet which explains why it doesn't suit me :D

CB

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi there,

Can't really advice on which apartment is good or not, but if you google 'service apartment Chiang Mai' a few pop up. You might check them out.

A friend of mine stayed at Viangbua. They have internet there, high speed wireless.

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/viangbua_mansion.htm

Another one from the google search is the Royal peninsula:

http://www.thai-tour.com/thai-tour/North/C...sula/index.html

You can also contact some of the real estates here, which you can find through the same google search

In my experince internet is quite ok here. Maybe not super fast, but definitly workable. There are sometimes off days that it goes a bit slow, and even less times that the 'server is out of order' or something.

Chiang Mai is a nice town and you definitely can walk around. You do have to be carefull though, as drivers tend not to watch out.

If you are not familiar with a motor bike, I would definitely advice against that. People do not exactly follow international rules. Thais have their own rules, sort of(and farang make their own :o ), and if you don't know them it can be pretty dangerous.

Transportation with Songteaws or red taxi's and tuktuks you can find everywhere in the city.

Hope this helps a bit,

Nienke