Poll: More grandparents than parents are bringing up Thai children

webfact

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well of course what you say is true, but the reasons for this whole situation is hardly a one trick pony.

A lot of young couples from Isaan go to work in the factories around Bangkok sending home money to Grandma who's looking after the kids.

The there are the young, generally poorly educated who have the bizarre mindset 'if I have his baby he love me more more more'. They end up with a brood and no guy in sight. They tend at best to drift to factory work, or quite often in the 'entertainment' biz, again dropping off the kids with Grandma.

Trouble is live in a rural village for long enough and scenario two is the worst, and most prevalent.

And unlike for most of us in West where custody battles are hard fought, young Thai men will drop and forget their children faster than you can drop a pair of dirty underwear.

Blanket statements like yours are too general to be holding any water. I’m not denying that some of them are like that, but you make it sound like all of them do and that’s simply not the case! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Even more commonplace and abundant among the most civilised and highly moral West.

Exactly, but the main objective here always seems to be bashing Thais, Africans and Middle Easterners while riding on their high horses off into the sunset. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Blanket statements like yours are too general to be holding any water. I’m not denying that some of them are like that, but you make it sound like all of them do and that’s simply not the case! 

And maybe you could say something informative rather then a 'blanket statement' to counter what I said!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Yeah. Many have been conditioned to base most everything on perceived misconceptions and contemporary stereotypical folklore, as such is usually repeated over and again until it becomes all too fuzzy to decipher what's real and what's not. 

Most bizarre, but expected, are the usual cultural comparatives [and superlatives] that have little to do with anything.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

And maybe you could say something informative rather then a 'blanket statement' to counter what I said!

You’re putting all Thai men in the same pot and that’s not right because it’s a blanket statement. Is that informative enough?

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, RafPinto said:

A lot ofThai men don't care about their children.

Bum bum and off you go.

The burden is on the young mothers.

In order to support their child/ren, they often most go to bigger cities to earn some money to support child and parents.

No legal requirements for men to support their children.

For this, many thai women are keen to get a farang.

Completely agree. It seems that the most of the Thai man have a lack of responsebility. And i think that the whole system of childeren have to support the family is a wrong approuch. Give childeren the chance to have a good education (i know, in some cases difficult) and make sure they have a chance to build up a solid financial situation before they have to help the family. I have seen many cases that the parents had enough money to pay the bills and have propper food but still expected money from the kids. Whilest the kids had problems to keep their heads above the water.

On 11/22/2021 at 11:22 AM, connda said:

Academics living above the strata and vulgarities of the normal Thai social classes need to conduct a poll in order to find out a fact that anyone who has lived in a Thai village can affirm as true.  In fact, even a farang like me knows as I live in the heart of Thai-Land.  The academics no doubt were raised by a live-in au-pair and then sent to an upscale boarding school and university in Farang-Land, so obviously they don't have a clue about their own culture.

You sound shockingly unaware of how academia works.  Do you think that an academic can write something with his experience in his home town being a source?  Of course he cannot.  Academics need reliable data to present and analyse, and they get this through things like surveys.

Good luck writing an academic article or report and saying "based on what I experienced in my home town, and my general feelings about what might go on...".

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The western world is a failing civilisation.

To keep repeating 'the western way is best' is madness.

An endless cycle of greed and selfishness is not what the world needs.

In the west

Children abandon their parents and grandparents.

Women no longer want their men.

Housing is too expensive for most.

Work is outsourced to other countries.

To keep repeating 'the western way is best' is madness.

This is absolutely not what im doing. What you mentioned were the reasons for me to leave Europe. But that doesnt mean that orther sides of the world are all perfect. And i mentioned what i see as wrong over here. Kids should have a fair chance to build up a solid future without being premature sucked dry by the family

1 minute ago, peter zwart said:

Kids should have a fair chance to build up a solid future without being premature sucked dry by the family

Pointless education is what has destroyed the west.

To implement the same system here, would just repeat the mistake.

I'm always amazed more foreigners don't understand that.

If you educate every child, most will just be dissatisfied with their life and prospects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Pointless education is what has destroyed the west.

To implement the same system here, would just repeat the mistake.

I'm always amazed more foreigners don't understand that.

If you educate every child, most will just be dissatisfied with their life and prospects.

And if you dont educate them they will even be more bored with their lives and try to find their "luck" in things that will let them fall of the cliff.

2 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

And if you dont educate them they will even be more bored with their lives and try to find their "luck" in things that will let them fall of the cliff.

The world needs farmers, delivery drivers and shop assistants, more than it needs people with degrees.

A farmer/driver/shop person with a degree won't ever be happy or satisfied with their place in life.

Not to mention the school loan they will be expected to repay.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The world needs farmers, delivery drivers and shop assistants, more than it needs people with degrees.

A farmer/driver/shop person with a degree won't ever be happy or satisfied with their place in life.

Not to mention the school loan they will be expected to repay.

The world needs farmers, delivery drivers and shop assistants

The world needs agriculural land. The rest will be done by machines.

Drivers, we soon will be in the situation that this will be done by drones and self driving vehicles

Shop assistance.....why? more and more will be on line. Then you only need a few people to pack the items

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You sound shockingly unaware of how academia works.  Do you think that an academic can write something with his experience in his home town being a source?  Of course he cannot.  Academics need reliable data to present and analyse, and they get this through things like surveys.

Good luck writing an academic article or report and saying "based on what I experienced in my home town, and my general feelings about what might go on...".

An accurate description of the research process, additionally I would venture to guess than one or more of the researchers,(quite possibly students doing thesis work), were raised by GP with largely absent parents.

It is often our personal experiences that drive this type of research and help to answer questions such as 'why?' and 'Am I normal'.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

In many cultures, new children are seen as a blessing in regards to survival of the clan, status amd more. The family will often pressure a young girl to have children, and here the girls, (who also share this belief) will sometimes find the nearest partner to assist...

In the rapidily changing world of automation, I feel this thinking is obsolete as the children are now a burden and have without education at a technical college or above will have a difficult time surviving in the future.

Thailand Birth Rate:

While agreeing the number of children being raised by the extended family is concerning, it is part of the overall status of young children in Thailand

Thailand's current birth rate is widely reported at 1.5% (+/-) of the total population. This iz well below the recommened 2.1% birth rate required to sustain the current population.

Low birth rates are now common in the West and many Asian countries. It would seem the the youngest generation will be under extreme pressure to transition to a world of fewer entry level jobs, and their 'duty' to support their family.

Those that accuse the grand parents of benefitting from money sent would do well to identify how many are receiving 8k baht per child 

Rice is provided to all offspring from the family farm providing the base for family meals, often farm free range chicken will be sent back with visiting children.

And when the offspring need a loan, the grandparents will mortgage the farm land.

Retaining the family homestead can turn out to be the life blood of the family should they hit difficult times such as covid.

Edited by 473geo

• 10 months later...
On 11/22/2021 at 5:30 PM, Orinoco said:

To be honest mate.

If you knew anything about the police in Thailand.

you would know,  your actions would result in one of two things.

A big zero. 

or very bad news for he family and her in the village, up country.

But, if you had gone to the same bar for two weeks straight, you may have come away with a different view of the so called situation. i did pattaya bar scene every day for about 15 years.

See a lot and hear a lot and believe about 10% on a good day.

TIT.

And you bragging this.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, RafPinto said:

A lot ofThai men don't care about their children.

Bum bum and off you go.

The burden is on the young mothers.

In order to support their child/ren, they often most go to bigger cities to earn some money to support child and parents.

No legal requirements for men to support their children.

For this, many thai women are keen to get a farang.

I suggest this is a mixed picture. My Thai son tlks about this from time to time. Thankfully he and his good Thai wife have their 3 kids at home with them and he's devoted to their upbringing, education, family life etc., etc.

He's told me before there's plenty of his male friends (with kids) who have been basically forced by their wives to go to work in factories on the eastern seaboard and in Ayuthaya, and leave their kids for granparents to look after / bring up.

Why? Wive has heard about the fun of being in a factory team, the social life etc.

Unfortunately the number of times they come home to see their kids seems to dwindle with many coming home only once a year. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, RafPinto said:

I know plenty of women who have no husband or boyfriend but they have children.

No financial support from the father.

One must wonder how you know these women. 

I don't know any single mums.