Poll: More grandparents than parents are bringing up Thai children

webfact

7pm.jpg

File photo

A Suan Dusit University poll has revealed that more family members and grandparents are bringing up Thai children than parents themselves. 

The poll - about the problems facing families with children up to 15 years old in the Covid-19 era - suggested that 49.14% of children were raised by grandparents and other family members and just 45.45% by mums and dads, reported Daily News.

77.64% said that raising children was harder in Covid times compared to pre-pandemic.

Finding activities for children and keeping them healthy were chief concerns.

74.57% were worried about their children getting Covid and 62.9% expressed concern about their education. 

It was reckoned that costs related to bringing up children were on average 7,974 baht for each child a month.

The total number polled between 15th and 18th November was 1,154. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-22

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

7pm1.jpg
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

A lot ofThai men don't care about their children.

Bum bum and off you go.

The burden is on the young mothers.

In order to support their child/ren, they often most go to bigger cities to earn some money to support child and parents.

No legal requirements for men to support their children.

For this, many thai women are keen to get a farang.

I'm talking with a girl, 35 years old and she told me she has kids but they don't live with her.... I was shocked because I thought the same as you, bum bum and go...

but this girl left the kids to the guy and she is looking for a farang (that is me for now) 55555

I still don't get it...5555

• Haha 2

Needs must......

I see an opposing example in my wife's brother , who dotes on his daughter, a great example of a father. He and his wife both have responsible all-day jobs and depend on the wife's mother to take care of the child in the daytime. Fortunately living in their home. The mother is not in great health, so I imagine it is a struggle for her, and wonder what would happen if she became too frail to do the job. A much better situation than is commonplace, child with grandma in rural Issarn, mother plying her trade in the tourist spots, father unseen for a long time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

The academics no doubt were raised by a live-in au-pair and then sent to an upscale boarding school and university in Farang-Land, so obviously they don't have a clue about their own culture.

So these academics did not have a clue about their own culture and did not know that many kids are brought up by grandparents.

And yet they conceived a poll to find out the extent of an issue that they knew nothing about.

Do you not see just how illogical that notion is?

• Like 1

7974 Baht/month to bring up one child...Pensioners have 500/month from the government! Let`s say they have 3 grandchildren to bring up;thats about 30000 baht/month !! Plus x baht for their own living.Often children do not send any money,on the contrary,they often beg their poor parents to send them money! I know personally of 3 cases.How do I know? Well,because they come to beg my wife to lend them money to send to their daughters...Not even many young,fulltime working people, have that kind of money. So indeed,must be some high earning people who come up with this sums.Could be true in their families,expensive education,motorbike,mobils and so on.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that kids have been sold

Some years ago, I wanted to watch a particular sport while I was in Pattaya. I went to the sport bar and was quite happily sat there but there a girl who obviously did not belong (scared shirtless) after a while I decided to buy her a drink, she reluctantly sat with me, slowly I gained her confidence, I asked her in Thai why she was there, she told me that her family were paying off a debt. Once I left the bar I reported it to the tourist police, who I had connections with. Hope it turned out well for her, I often think about that day

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Some years ago, I wanted to watch a particular sport while I was in Pattaya. I went to the sport bar and was quite happily sat there but there a girl who obviously did not belong (scared shirtless) after a while I decided to buy her a drink, she reluctantly sat with me, slowly I gained her confidence, I asked her in Thai why she was there, she told me that her family were paying off a debt. Once I left the bar I reported it to the tourist police, who I had connections with. Hope it turned out well for her, I often think about that day

How much money did you give her.  LOL.

42 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Why not.

Should have taken her for a St.

to help her.

if you believed her story.

They are called hookers for a reason.

I did think of that but I was starting to feel uncomfortable myself (it was obviously her first day in the bar) I did not want any trouble and I thought that was the safest option, I am not a resident of Pattaya. The tourist police I contacted were from a different province but assured me they would follow it up with the local police. I have lived a long, long time in Thailand by the way, just so you understand

Edited by Expat68
  • Like 1