Foreigners in Thailand warned about not wearing face masks

snoop1130

On 11/24/2021 at 8:03 AM, jacko45k said:

I see quite a few wearing two...... my Mrs does, but she is.... oh better not go there!

My wife wears two as well. Other than that she's fairly level headed. I think she likes the paper but thinks it's ugly so wears a cloth mask on top of it. Ridiculous.

Edited by TheScience

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well if it is in the spirit of protecting others as well as herself it is all good. Was in town Monday morning and a lot of folks not wearing masks properly... mostly farangs who seem incapable of putting them over their noses. I don't get that.... if you chose to wear one, do it properly... it's like wearing pants half way down your ass.... oh they actually do that don't they!

How does wearing a mask outdoors and 2m from another person - when the person knowingly does not have covid protect another person?

Theatre, fear.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheScience said:

How does wearing a mask outdoors and 2m from another person - when the person knowingly does not have covid protect another person?

Theatre, fear.

Who mentioned solely outdoors, and not being within 2m of others all the time (impossible), and who knows their own Covid status at any instant?

Nonsense....

I was thinking this as I attempted to shuffle away from the moron with his mask below his nose in the Big-C checkout line... some folks are just thick!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, mtls2005 said:

Can anyone find the "law" which dictates the mask mandate and associated penalties?

Ask the policeman as he locks you into jail.  He will certainly be able to find some law which gives him authority to keep you there.  

16 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Theatre, fear.

It might be theatre as you say, but the numbers in Thailand are coming down while in many European countries where there was a no-mask outside policy they are going up. I know there are many factors, but this is one of them.

Of course, if you are a good distance from anybody it makes no difference. But what do you do, walk around with a 2-m stick and pull the mask up and down depending on the moment?

Speaking for myself, I see no problem in wearing a mask all the time (well, not if I am cycling or jogging I admit). Actually, living in CM where the air is often far from clean, I was often wearing a mask even before Covid. I don't see what's the big deal.

As for "knowingly does not have covid", only you know that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

It might be theatre as you say, but the numbers in Thailand are coming down while in many European countries where there was a no-mask outside policy they are going up. I know there are many factors, but this is one of them.

Of course, if you are a good distance from anybody it makes no difference. But what do you do, walk around with a 2-m stick and pull the mask up and down depending on the moment?

Speaking for myself, I see no problem in wearing a mask all the time (well, not if I am cycling or jogging I admit). Actually, living in CM where the air is often far from clean, I was often wearing a mask even before Covid. I don't see what's the big deal.

As for "knowingly does not have covid", only you know that.

There is this childish notion I see repeated often here that because someone knows that they are covid negative, therefore, somehow, others can distinguish between that person and those not wearing masks who don't know their covid status.

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

There is this childish notion I see repeated often here that because someone knows that they are covid negative, therefore, somehow, others can distinguish between that person and those not wearing masks who don't know their covid status.

What is your point?

Wear a mask outside to give strangers a warm and fuzzy feeling?

I'm not please to wear a mask indoors but I understand in Asia and Thailand that this is what we do.

Walking alone or with my wife .... sorry, no.

I also understand that many Thais have long worn masks to protect them from air pollution. Up to them. I'd suggest they just stay the hell out of the air pollution.

Edited by TheScience

I think a serious question needs to be asked of yourselves.

Covid is not going away.

Does that therefore mean that you will wear masks for the rest of your lives? I will not.

This may mean leaving Thailand. I'm ok with that. I won't be stuck with endless sketchy vaccinations and forced to wear a mask under penalty of un/law.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheScience said:

What is your point?

Wear a mask outside to give strangers a warm and fuzzy feeling?

I'm not please to wear a mask indoors but I understand in Asia and Thailand that this is what we do.

Walking alone or with my wife .... sorry, no.

I also understand that many Thais have long worn masks to protect them from air pollution. Up to them. I'd suggest they just stay the hell out of the air pollution.

Well, in Thailand, there is this concept of graengjai, whereby you are supposed to govern your behavior so as not to  hurt or offend others. So if you want to be a libertarian, Thailand probably isn't the best place to live a life that accords with your beliefs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, in Thailand, there is this concept of graengjai, whereby you are supposed to govern your behavior so as not to  hurt or offend others. So if you want to be a libertarian, Thailand probably isn't the best place to live a life that accords with your beliefs. 

555 That's only for poor people to mind.

Wealthy people have no problem insulting you, nearly missing you in their car, stepping ahead of you in line, ignoring you, stealing, lying.

Pretty much same for Thai bureaucrats.

I'd always thought it simply meant a half hearted attempt which kinda describes the effort most Thai put into everything.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, freedomnow said:

Yes, because wearing masks outside is not necessary with no data to back its use up.

But bah, lets make it a rule anyway...just bcoz.

Exactly - no common sense in a lot of these rules - masks outside are useless  -  mandate mask use in enclosed spaces and places where people converge such as the BTS/MRT and malls etc..

In Bali, the idle and corrupt 'police' stopped my Balinese friend for not wearing his mask doing 50km on his way home from work at night and had his day's wages off him. 

This  world gets dafter by the day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:10 PM, TheScience said:

Late afternoon I was walking to the mini Mart in central Bangkok. Three tourist cops walked out of a restaurant. Two of them were wearing their masks but the last one in line wasn't wearing his mask and had it pulled down to his chin as I did.

The cop shot me a very friendly smile and gave me a wave and I wave back and smiled and we just kept right on walking.

Masks are absolute theater but if the government and Thais wish me to wear a mask indoors I will.

As for outdoors, I'll just take the fine thanks. I can't think of anything more insane or stupid than wearing a mask outdoors and reasonably distanced from people.

For the Thai I think everyone is simply afraid to break the social contract. My wife wears a mask outside and I always make comments. Aside from the social contract, I honestly don't think that thai truly understand that covid is not floating around in the air.

I call it the ghost theory bc we all know ghosts are floating all around us as well.

Perfect description - masks are absolute theatre - like it.

Some science indicates a negative effect with mask wearing with all the additional touching of face, then hands touching everything else. Would we be touching our faces so often without a mask there? No.

Never heard of anything so dumb and it simply panders to all those that are terrified of their own shadow - you'd think after nearly 2 years of this insanity, a bit more rational realism would have taken hold. 

Give me strength 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Who mentioned solely outdoors, and not being within 2m of others all the time (impossible), and who knows their own Covid status at any instant?

Nonsense....

I was thinking this as I attempted to shuffle away from the moron with his mask below his nose in the Big-C checkout line... some folks are just thick!

A lot that you see like that are newly arrived and don't fully get it or think they know it all and are too clever. Or both. 

As was more or less said above this is Thailand, I am a foreigner if Thailand wants me to wear a mask I will, no problem. 

6 minutes ago, rott said:

A lot that you see like that are newly arrived and don't fully get it or think they know it all and are too clever. Or both. 

As was more or less said above this is Thailand, I am a foreigner if Thailand wants me to wear a mask I will, no problem. 

As one poster mentioned before Pattaya music festival spot the farang

pats music.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblomov said:

Some science indicates a negative effect with mask wearing with all the additional touching of face, then hands touching everything else. Would we be touching our faces so often without a mask there? No.

Never heard of anything so dumb and it simply panders to all those that are terrified of their own shadow - you'd think after nearly 2 years of this insanity, a bit more rational realism would have taken hold. 

Give me strength 

I don't touch my face all the time, I am not terrified of my own shadow, I have no problems in wearing a mask and I don't need any special strength. As for "some science", you'll always find anything on the internet. Please provide a link to a serious peer-reviewed article that demonstrates that there are more infections and rising trends in countries with outdoor mask mandates based on real data.

I have no problem if you decide not to wear a mask while walking more than 2m away from anyone. If you want to point out that there are illogical aspects, such as shown in the picture of the Pattaya music festival posted just above,  I am with you. But IMO masks have a positive role on the whole, and to shoot them down based on "rational realism" (what does it even mean?) is myopic.

Indoors and in crowds makes sense; but as early as summer 2020 there was zero correlation to heaving beaches in the uk and any spikes of the virus. It simply doesn’t spread outdoors so to insist on wearing one outside away from others is madness. The reason Europe is having spikes has nothing to do with not wearing masks outside! When everything is open it is bound to keep spreading.

Edited by Glassjaw
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Glassjaw said:

Indoors and in crowds makes sense; but as early as summer 2020 there was zero correlation to heaving beaches in the uk and any spikes of the virus. It simply doesn’t spread outdoors so to insist on wearing one outside away from others is madness. The reason Europe is having spikes has nothing to do with not wearing masks outside! When everything is open it is bound to keep spreading.

I don't wont to argue with anybody, every body has the right to there own opinion, the place where I live we had no local infections since about 2 years, I only worn a mask for 1 week long time ago and again for a few days because infected persons escaped quarantine, and yes I live in a city of over 2 million and I don't live in a failed state like NSW or VIc and yes, who cares about travel I guess it is hard on families who can't be together but I have not seen my sister in 10 years. But that is beside the point.

I still think you should wear a mask in Thailand at crowded places.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

I don't touch my face all the time, I am not terrified of my own shadow, I have no problems in wearing a mask and I don't need any special strength. As for "some science", you'll always find anything on the internet. Please provide a link to a serious peer-reviewed article that demonstrates that there are more infections and rising trends in countries with outdoor mask mandates based on real data.

I have no problem if you decide not to wear a mask while walking more than 2m away from anyone. If you want to point out that there are illogical aspects, such as shown in the picture of the Pattaya music festival posted just above,  I am with you. But IMO masks have a positive role on the whole, and to shoot them down based on "rational realism" (what does it even mean?) is myopic.

Look up rational and then realism and conflate the meanings

How do you get your mask on and off without touching your face and mask?

The point is simple - act rationally - masks in enclosed spaces 

Be realistic - this is with us forever as are variants common to any flu type virus so exactly how much of our lives are we willing to ruin in this irrational response?

Not much is said of building natural robust responses and a healthier body that can combat any illness better - reducing clinical obesity - eating more healthily and exercise

What on Earth you mean by masks having a positive role is too silly to respond to - I do wear masks in enclosed spaces - triple vaccinated and hygienic - the point was the outdoor masks which is simply not efficacious so therefore not necessary 

Don't bother replying as you're ignored 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oblomov said:

Give me strength 

This is old information back when the pandemic began. Whilst it was a good idea to clean surfaces back at the time until we had more information. Now we have the data the constant cleaning of surfaces needs to stop thats absolute theatre. Covid is not primarily transmitted through surfaces it is airborne. Continue to use a mask indoors absolutely fine with that but not needed outdoors.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

Quantitative microbial risk assessment (QMRA) studies have been conducted to understand and characterize the relative risk of SARS-CoV-2 fomite transmission and evaluate the need for and effectiveness of prevention measures to reduce risk. Findings of these studies suggest that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection via the fomite transmission route is low, and generally less than 1 in 10,000, which means that each contact with a contaminated surface has less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of causing an infection. 

Surface disinfection once- or twice-per-day had little impact on reducing estimated risks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 7:52 AM, arithai12 said:

might be theatre as you say, but the numbers in Thailand are coming down

Well, all you need do is only test those that front up to hospitals ill.

Numbers most likely are coming down due to the millions of doses of vaccine administered, lack of testing and whistling past the graveyard.

Correlation does not necessitate causation.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Edited by TheScience