Foreigners in Thailand warned about not wearing face masks

snoop1130

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Please share the current link to Thai nationals (who are double vaxed )not needing PCR test before departure and after arriving in Thailand. 

My wife returning from Hong Kong does !!

All she is exempt from if the Insurance requirements 

My spouse (thai national) traveled to thailand and she did not require PCR test.

Is it the airline that  you are using that is mandating a PCR test for your wife?  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Exilerunner said:

Must be fun to be at the beach and in the ocean with the mask

No one at the beach is wearing a mask... 

Or, when down in Phuket (in Sept) no one at the beach was wearing a mask. 

Everyone would walk or ride to the beach with a mask which would come off as soon as they stepped on the sand !!!!... 

17 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

I am farang and yes I wear a mask, even when bicycling in the countryside.  I certainly do not need this mask in remote areas but I wear the mask.  Why?  Because of the dirty looks I get when as a farang I do not have a mask on.  It is easier to just wear one.  You know, all farangs have COVID.  That is what the locals asked me a few days ago at the market.  Do you have COVID?   Perhaps there is a lack of education and understanding.

I was asked this a few months ago ( although not directly asked to my face) in Thai to other Thais near me at the 711 in Bang Na. I responded in baby English talk..”no no I not Chinese ..not Jin ..I am England ok”  Im not sure if it was the shock of me understanding them or maybe they were offended as there were a few pasty looking Sino’s in the mix.  I’m sure under their masks their mouths were wide open.  

But on a more serious note it really pi##ed me off no end.

3 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:
1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Please share the current link to Thai nationals (who are double vaxed )not needing PCR test before departure and after arriving in Thailand. 

My wife returning from Hong Kong does !!

All she is exempt from if the Insurance requirements 

My spouse (thai national) traveled to thailand and she did not require PCR test.

Is it the airline that  you are using that is mandating a PCR test for your wife?  

To avoid confusion you may need to present more specific information about how your wife re-entered Thailand. 

Unvaccinated Thai’s returning to Thailand and undergoing quarantine upon arrival do not (did not) need a pre-flight PCR test (<72 hr before travel) they did require a ‘fit to fly’ certificate issued within 72hrs of travel.

Vaccinated Thai’s returning to Thailand from low risk (63) countries and using Test & Go require a PCR test <72 hrs before travel

Vaccinated Thai’s returning to Thailand from high risk countries and using ASQ or Sandbox require a PCR test <72 hrs before travel

Individual Airlines may also have their own requirements. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:
18 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

I am farang and yes I wear a mask, even when bicycling in the countryside.  I certainly do not need this mask in remote areas but I wear the mask.  Why?  Because of the dirty looks I get when as a farang I do not have a mask on.  It is easier to just wear one.  You know, all farangs have COVID.  That is what the locals asked me a few days ago at the market.  Do you have COVID?   Perhaps there is a lack of education and understanding.

I was asked this a few months ago ( although not directly asked to my face) in Thai to other Thais near me at the 711 in Bang Na. I responded in baby English talk..”no no I not Chinese ..not Jin ..I am England ok”  Im not sure if it was the shock of me understanding them or maybe they were offended as there were a few pasty looking Sino’s in the mix.  I’m sure under their masks their mouths were wide open.  

There can be some really daft comments (from anyone, not just Thai’s).

After taking a Pre-flight PCR... then 2 weeks Quarantine which included 2 PCR tests a friends wife was worried that I was high risk (my mate and I were planning dinner). We had to get her to ’stop and think’ about it to actually get the fact that while she goes to the wet-markets, to 7-11’s to the supermarkets and has not been PCR tested ever that she was actually presenting far higher risk to others and especially to me, than I was to anyone else....

I received similar issues the UK - After arriving, quarantining (isolating for 2 weeks) and taking PCR tests I was accused of being ‘high risk’ by someone who lacked the capacity to recognise that while they were out about, supermarkets, pharmacies, dog walking etc that they were still a greater risk than I simply because I’d PCR tested and they hadn’t. 

The reality is - it is a certain type of personalty which makes such comments and judgements without actually thinking critically - its usually dumb people who have no idea they are dumb. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, couchpotato said:

white, poorly dressed in circa 1990s cargo shorts, overweight, 55+ years old, with a scowl on their face.

Bit prejudiced... so a person is not a good guest if he wears cargo shorts..  maybe the scowl belongs with you.

A person is not a good guest if they can't follow the rules that the Kingdom has set down (like'em or not). If you pay attention to those who flaunt the rules you will notice a trend... and Thais see it too. That's not prejudice, stereotyping or discrimination. It's simple observation. Sorry to bag on cargo short. Not all poorly dressed old white dudes are bad.

• Confused 1

You would think some mention of compulsory face masks in public and the consequences would be top of some agenda or documentation when applying to enter Thailand like Thailand Pass perhaps!! But no, nothing. So applies to double vaccinated tourists I suspect which although exempt from more than a days quarantine, still has to wear a mask or suffer up to 20,000 baht fine which I assume will only apply to foreigners as your average Thai wont have that sort of money!! Sounds a bit like " I know, we cant afford to pay the police so let the foreigners do it for us!!" with these ludicrous fines while on holiday...Talk about shooting themselves in the foot as per normal with ill conceived ideas..

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 3:19 PM, goldenbrwn1 said:

Yeah I hear you, that is one big problem I have. I like to run outside but if I need to wear a mask even if I run at 3 am I feel <deleted> stupid!

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There can be some really daft comments (from anyone, not just Thai’s).

After taking a Pre-flight PCR... then 2 weeks Quarantine which included 2 PCR tests a friends wife was worried that I was high risk (my mate and I were planning dinner). We had to get her to ’stop and think’ about it to actually get the fact that while she goes to the wet-markets, to 7-11’s to the supermarkets and has not been PCR tested ever that she was actually presenting far higher risk to others and especially to me, than I was to anyone else....

I received similar issues the UK - After arriving, quarantining (isolating for 2 weeks) and taking PCR tests I was accused of being ‘high risk’ by someone who lacked the capacity to recognise that while they were out about, supermarkets, pharmacies, dog walking etc that they were still a greater risk than I simply because I’d PCR tested and they hadn’t. 

The reality is - it is a certain type of personalty which makes such comments and judgements without actually thinking critically - its usually dumb people who have no idea they are dumb. 

First logically thought out post for pages - nice one @richard_smith237 ????

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:

I'm not having all this street mask wearing s*** believe me, 

Several friends and i were hoping to go there in March with restrictions ditched but to be honest i can't see it happening, shame but it is what it is i suppose.

With respect.... look at whats happening in Germany - with 68% of the population vaccinated the hospitals are filling and emergency measures are one again required - The reasons emergency measures are going to be required is due to less people getting vaccinated and fewer people taking precautions (such as mask wearing).

Meanwhile the UK has better vaccination numbers and while numbers are covid case load is increasing there is no ‘panic news’ as yet about hospitals becoming full.... the successful vaccine roll out (and now boosters) is doing its job - if more people wore masks there would still be less spread. 

Thus: With low vaccination numbers in Thailand, mask wearing is still important.

I’m not talking mask wearing in the open or on the beach etc...  neither is it necessary in a restaurant etc. 

Or, if vaccinated in a bar etc...  

But, if people are just going to ‘poo-poo’ mask wearing there will be enough of a ‘general shift’ to generated and increase in Covid cases and we may be stuck locking down again. 

Wearing masks where we can or where sensible makes sense.

Not wearing a mask in in a bar is perhaps risky, but wearing a bar in a mask is perhaps too much.

Keeping case load below a critical mask and taking a reasonable path is the best way forwards to attract tourists and keep numbers low. 

Thus: Tourists who refuse out right to wear a mask are perhaps unwanted.  But tourists who will wear a mask on public, in shops etc along with everyone else is perhaps the best solution. 

• Like 1

I have 2 masks I have had for 6 months, the el cheapo blue ones.....I mostly only wear them to go in 7-11....I imagine these old masks protect me from exactly nothing...

It's all a show......No wear mask, put on mask, walk in 7-11, leave 7-11 take off mask...I see lots of people doing this 7-11 mask ritual....

Edited by redwood1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is what happens when you advertise a country as being 'open' again when really it's just a lie.

The law regarding mask wearing should be made very clear on the website where you apply for your visa or 'entry pass' / whatever they're calling it this week, make it a checkbox that they acknowledge they know it's the law, that it is enforced and that there are large fines.

The question is why would anyone equate the facemask requirement with "the country isn't open"?

You can enter, it's obviously open. As for the pandemic, we're not over the hill yet globally and if you're not willing to follow the rules, go somewhere else or stay at home.

I agree with the 2nd part though, those who aren't well informed should have it pointed out to them.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I have 2 masks I have had for 6 months, the el cheapo blue ones.....I mostly only wear them to go in 7-11....I imagine these old masks protect me from exactly nothing...

It's all a show......No wear mask, put on mask, walk in 7-11, leave 7-11 take off mask...I see lots of people doing this 7-11 mask ritual....

It is exactly this level of ignorance which still exists 18 months which is why mask wearing regulations and laws are necessary.... 

It is this ‘self centred’ view point that stands out - its not about you, its about everyone else !!!...

..... A mask doesn’t protect you from everyone else, it protects everyone else from you !!!!.... 

Wear a mask indoors, in busy areas....   if you have caught Covid-19 and don’t know you have it (i.e. asymptomatic carrier) by wearing a mask you are minimising the extent to which you expel the SARS-CoV-2 virus particles attached to water vapour and aerosol from your lungs into the environment where others could breath it in. 

Thus: if everyone wears a mask in a 7-11, a supermarket, a shopping mall, in a taxi, on a plane etc... anywhere where there are others in close proximity to each other then the risk of covid spread to all those present is reduced in comparison to if no one is wearing a mask.

If the risk of covid spread at that single interaction is reduced, the knock risk when one of those in the same location walks into another location (shop, 7-11, restaurant etc) while wearing a mask... and so on.

The cumulative benefit is less spread throughout the community. 

How can people still not understand this ??????

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

dirty looks I get when as a farang I do not have a mask on. Riding a bike

I have been pedaling my bike every day around my small village far away from people without a mask since Covid 19 started. The Thai Department of Health advises against wearing a face mask when exercising. You are not getting enough oxygen into your lungs and heart, so your body has to work harder, which is more dangerous. When I get close to people I put my mask on. I have never noticed a dirty look because I always smile at people as they approach me and they are happy to smile back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackprince said:

Yeah, the part of Thailand called the UK or USA.

As I said, it's common all over SEasia.

Lived here for 25 years and it is extremely rare outside of Bangkok.  Even in Bangkok it is far from the majority I think but to be honest may be wrong.  Pre-Covid nobody(99.9%) had masks on anywhere in NE Thailand and now 90% wear masks.

6 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Lived here for 25 years and it is extremely rare outside of Bangkok.  Even in Bangkok it is far from the majority I think but to be honest may be wrong.  Pre-Covid nobody(99.9%) had masks on anywhere in NE Thailand and now 90% wear masks.

I've lived in central Bangkok for over 20 years...  people did used to wear masks, but rarely so, they were policemen on traffic duty or security guards guiding traffic at the road entrances to office buildings etc.

Very few motorcyclists did wear masks, but it was by far the minority (i.e. less than 1 per 100).

Now of course its the majority....  perhaps more mask wearers than helmet wearers as pointed out by others !

(I’m still not sure how this observation makes me the xenophobe black prince accused me of being !!!! ????)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, atpeace said:

90%?.........I would say about 35-40 % wear a mask on Soi Bukow......Like someone said before, wearing cargo shorts, sandals, having a big belly with your shirt not tucked in, is pretty much a licence to never wear a mask on Soi Bukow.....

4 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

Currently, I believe that those proposed mandates by the respective airlines are not the standard practice or enforced by govts. Especially as it applies to int'l travel. 

I'm of the opinion that the carriers require an ethics/moral compass for the betterment of commons. 

Strict regulations of mandated double vax, pre-boarding tests and mitigation measures should be requirements for flying. 

28 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Might be higher than that [95-97%] anywhere outside of BKK Metro. 

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

90%?.........I would say about 35-40 % wear a mask on Soi Bukow......Like someone said before, wearing cargo shorts, sandals, having a big belly with your shirt not tucked in, is pretty much a licence to never wear a mask on Soi Bukow.....

I wouldn't know but assume you are right.  I was referring to NE Thailand as stated in my post.   Covid was more of an issue in Pattaya. Interesting that motorcyclists aren't wearing a mask in Pattaya.   I do not know a person anywhere near me that has had covid,  The hospitals have all been ghostly empty since the pandemic started.  People in general are scared and this to me is very strange.

Oh, bloody hell. Not again. Who forgot to wear their mask this time? Was it Latvian Lenny or Danish Dave? Come on guys, stop letting the rest of the "whities" down. Belarussian Bob and Slovenian Sid always wear their masks, just like Samui Somchai and Phichit Prayut.

5 hours ago, blackprince said:
5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I bet your girlfriend is different too.

I assume you're trying to make a homophobic joke. You must be comfortable with the attitudes displayed by the 2 xenophobes.

People all over ASEAN have been wearing face masks on motorbikes for years, since well before covid, to avoid breathing in the fumes from the traffic as far as possible.

Hold on there Tonto. Just have a look at the quote attribution and see who I was responding to, (ie. not you). I was agreeing with you about masks and SE Asians, including most Thai people I come across.

BTW, people 'round here know me as Mr. Xenophile. A lot of xenophobe's, especially the usual suspects on this forum, really hate that.