Foreigners in Thailand warned about not wearing face masks

snoop1130

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Run any image search for street-shots of roads in Thailand - look for any taken before 2020 where many people are wearing a face-mask on their motorcycle.

You are kidding.

Up here is the guts of Isaan, they've been wrapping up like bloody Ninja's since forever already.

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As a tourist, you’ve got to have your head read going to Thailand at this time. For what? Reams of paperwork and restrictions, big expense, long flights, having to wear a mask everywhere, no entertainment. 

Quite so as you say, but... 

FB_IMG_1624111800421.jpg

4 hours ago, Ty Hareways said:

I'm not having all this street mask wearing s*** believe me, 

Several friends and i were hoping to go there in March with restrictions ditched but to be honest i can't see it happening, shame but it is what it is i suppose.

We'll miss you and your friends. Really we will.

Next?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2021 at 4:08 PM, Exilerunner said:

Yeah I hear you, that is one big problem I have. I like to run outside but if I need to wear a mask even if I run at 3 am I feel <deleted> stupid!

At least you only feel stupid.

Feeling stupid in the dark must be some kind of bonus, no?

On 11/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, snoop1130 said:

...According to Dr Apisamai many foreigners who have arrived in Thailand since its reopening have not been wearing face masks as required and have also been gathering in groups and at parties.

Dr Apisamai reiterated the rules regarding face masks in Thailand and said that people who fail to wear a face mask when out in public or at gatherings face possible fines of up to 20,000 baht....

This sounds like a call for police to hunt down unmasked foreigners and fine them but more likely, many police officers will "fine" them.

2 minutes ago, Rimbuman said:

FB_IMG_1620890831175.jpg

This is an example of ‘vape aerosol' which is equivalent to normal air density (depending on temperature), it is quite different and a lot lighter and finer than the the water vapour and aerosol expelled when someone talks, laughs, coughs, sneezes etc... 

When someone is simply talking, shouting and laughing the droplets and aerosol are significantly larger than vape fumes and are generally propelled forwards. 

There is of course some escape ‘upwards and sidewards’ (as this photo shows), but the majority ‘vapour particles’ are expelled forwards and stopped by the mask. 

Wearing the mask is more effective at preventing the spread of respiratory aerosol and droplets than not wearing a mask.

Why is this even still a discussion... ?????

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Puccini said:
On 11/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, snoop1130 said:

...According to Dr Apisamai many foreigners who have arrived in Thailand since its reopening have not been wearing face masks as required and have also been gathering in groups and at parties.

Dr Apisamai reiterated the rules regarding face masks in Thailand and said that people who fail to wear a face mask when out in public or at gatherings face possible fines of up to 20,000 baht....

This sounds like a call for police to hunt down unmasked foreigners and fine them but more likely, many police officers will "fine" them.

No. No it doesn't actually.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
2 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

I get close to people I put my mask on. I have never noticed a dirty look because I always smile at people as they approach me and they are happy to smile back.

You can see smiles through a mask? Tell us how that works?

You can’t tell a fake smile from a genuine smile ??? - people smile with their face, particularly their eyes in addition to of course their mouth - even with a mask you can tell if someone is angry, happy and smiling at you or not....  and normally when someone smiles at you eye contact will me made making the gesture much easier to recognise. 

Now... of course, you know this already, so stop being facetious !!! ????????

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No. No it doesn't actually.

The OP paraphrases what I have seen printed somewhere else as this direct quote:

"Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted," [Dr Apisamai] said.

Source: https://www.khaosodenglish.com/?p=0

I can't help it, but to me, this sounds like a bugle call to start a hunt on unmasked foreigners.

21 minutes ago, Puccini said:

The OP paraphrases what I have seen printed somewhere else as this direct quote:

Source: https://www.khaosodenglish.com/?p=0

I can't help it, but to me, this sounds like a bugle call to start a hunt on unmasked foreigners.

I don’t think its anything so sinister..... its just like Anutin’s childish comment (about masks) which was miss-translated, taken out of context and the media ran with it because it was a dog-whistle to those so eager to show their outrage online it filled pages and pages of comment, drew loads of attention while few really understood that what exactly was mentioned was not so outrageous after all (i.e. the word ‘dirty’ or Thai equivalent of was never mentioned).

The world is full of officials who are poorly trained and completely unaware of how an off-hand remark can be repeated, taken out of context and twisted.... the uninitiated can be taken down a path by someone manipulative enough to draw out that outrageous one off comment that strikes ‘internet gold’.....

[Quote: “Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted,” she said.] -

....its the same if they [visitors] go through a red light, drive without a licence etc....    the clumsy part of this is her [Apisamai Srirangson’s] comments clearly show training or professionals - I’m sure she didn’t imply Thai’s would not be prosecuted if they don’t comply.... 

.... Had the COVID-19 Situation spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangson stated “everyone much comply including Visitors, or they will be prosecuted”  it would not have made the news....   or someone would have quoted her out of context. 

The disappointing aspect of these reports is that the lack of professionalism of those in positions to have such comments recorded by the media is that they are blissfully unaware of the damage their comments cause both to reputations and the misinformation the poorly formed quotes provide the public - realistically though, no Thai would have ever heard the news if us foreigners weren’t crying about it !!!! 

16 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Nonsense. Life is not back to normal in the UK. Instead people have just become immune to the horrific health figures. 

The vast majority not wearing masks in Bangkok are foreigners. Utterly shameless, with the fake feeling of superiority they have strutting around. It's time Thailand started to enforce these fines. 

The health figures in the UK are not currently horrific , your point must be very weak if you have to make things up to justify it.

Life is pretty much back to normal here , plenty of cases sure but mostly amongst younger people and children, so by and large inconsequential.

Those that are admited to intensive are almost entirely unvaccinated , simply Darwin's law coming into play.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:55 AM, EricTh said:

Most Thai that I see on the streets do wear masks.  It's mostly the farang who don't like to wear masks.

There is a similar case in Malaysia who got fined for refusing to wear mask. She even called Malaysia a 'communist' country for mandating mask wearing.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2021/11/01/maskless-karen-fined

She not a tourist, she a trump flake.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Another "dirty foreigner" story. 

Got to love the timing of the comment above !!! ????

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

.....its just like Anutin’s childish comment (about masks) which was miss-translated, taken out of context and the media ran with it because it was a dog-whistle to those so eager to show their outrage online it filled pages and pages of comment, drew loads of attention while few really understood that what exactly was mentioned was not so outrageous after all (i.e. the word ‘dirty’ or Thai equivalent of was never mentioned).

21 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

For most elderly foreigners having to wear these mouth nose masks while walking outdoors with temperatures above 30 degrees isn’t doable. 

Why not? To be honest the mask is not the issue, but it is exhausting and clothes end up sopping. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I do not believe that common sense is all that common. 

There are some people in the world who are too dense to have any common sense.

I see a lot of no mask people in protest groups as well.

The police will not even enforce the helmet laws for people on motorcycles, but

plan on fining farangs with a no mask rule?  That is Thainess, common sense thinking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Nonsense... mask wearing is still well followed in Pattaya, surprising actually. Often I am taken aback to see the motorbike riders waiting with me at the lights wearing them... quite easy to see as they rarely have helmets on. 

Where do you claim this is not the case?

Yes I know plenty of people still wear masks....

But compare the vax rate in the USA to Thailand...

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/covid-19-vaccination-tracker/

USA  59.2%

Thailand  51.6%

The story was once your vaxed the masks can come off.....And thats exactly what happened in America most people took the bloody masks off...

Yet in Thailand  most keep wearing the masks.....WHY?.......But like I said thankfully people in Thailand are finally/ but slowly taking the silly masks off...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

The story was once your vaxed the masks can come off.....And thats exactly what happened in America most people took the bloody masks off...

I think that is perhaps wrong... masks might be a necessary evil until we really have got the infection numbers down..... Japan currently might be an example to follow. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Yes I know plenty of people still wear masks....

But compare the vax rate in the USA to Thailand...

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/covid-19-vaccination-tracker/

USA  59.2%

Thailand  51.6%

Yet in Thailand  most keep wearing the masks.....WHY?.......But like I said thankfully people in Thailand are finally/ but slowly taking the silly masks off...

....and you think that the Thais believe they are just "silly masks"