Thailand listed among the healthiest countries to retire

snoop1130

10 hours ago, John Bird said:

Yeah right. Who paid for this propaganda?

Well the author is a woman from the U.S working for some investment firm.

Kathleen Peddicord has been writing about living, retirement and investing overseas for more than 35 years. Her work focuses on opportunities for Americans to live better and retire well abroad. Peddicord is the founding publisher and president of the Live and Invest Overseas group and a contributor to U.S. News and Forbes.

15 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

People have in general retired to Thailand because ;

A) inclement weather

B) Ease of long stay visa

C) It was very cheap

D) Easy going lifestyle

E) Availability of much younger , attractive women / boys / in betweeners.

At best only about 50% of the above now holds true and with the present government entrenched , things will only get worse.

Yes many of you will still be happy and content , but the country is going backwards in almost every conceivable sense.

Citizens cannot even comment on the biggest problem going forward , the strangling of any form of democracy , the future aint bright !

So if i retire there now.  I am too late?   which 50% are holding true?  I hope E!

• Haha 2

For the naysayers and PM2.5 posters ... well then, off you go back to London, or NY, or Sydney, or LA, or Rome, Beijing, Tokyo etc. Measure the PM pollution around the globes major cities and retreat into your air-con buildings.

But the point is not really about PM levels is it? Huh? Nope its another agenda altogether.

• Confused 4

I love it ???? Fit as a fiddle, a dream lifestyle, endless freedoms, loved, fed unbelievably well and graciously, idyllic home surroundings, fresh air to the max, sea n surf, vibrant nature all about me, smiling faces (most of the time). Whats not to love and desire about living here. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pravda said:

The food is very dirty here unlike in Europe.

Before covid I used to get food poisoning every 3 months eating out.

Besides that I don't have any other complaints.

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

People have in general retired to Thailand because ;

A) inclement weather

B) Ease of long stay visa

C) It was very cheap

D) Easy going lifestyle

E) Availability of much younger , attractive women / boys / in betweeners.

At best only about 50% of the above now holds true and with the present government entrenched , things will only get worse.

Yes many of you will still be happy and content , but the country is going backwards in almost every conceivable sense.

Citizens cannot even comment on the biggest problem going forward , the strangling of any form of democracy , the future aint bright !

agree 100%

Hmmm...... i would beg to disagree . look at the air quality generally in Thailand and specifically in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Add to that the appalling dangerousness of the entire road system( 3 people killed every hour, every day in Thailand), together with the current unmitigated chaos of their co-vid (mis)management(shudder)

Now i defy the writer to  tell us again how "healthy" Thailand is for anyone of any age ?

• Like 2

Never ever 

1. They must have been drunk.

2. The evaluator got some tea Money.

3. It is Fake.

Too many fact are against Thailand.

Dual Pricing, Hospital overpricing, high price for health insurance, Pollution, Dangerous Traffic, a lot of MSG, over spice oil and sugar.......

• Like 1

I don't think what they say about Thailand being one of the healthiest places to retire is a big game changer 

people will make up their own minds for what ever reason 

When I read the Thai visa forum plenty of people asking about retiring in Thailand so looks like no problem there  with people coming 

Peddicord sells dreams as do most writers who specialize in travel and retiring overseas. She always leaves out the inconvenient details that interfere with the dream. For example she touts Vietnam as a retirement haven without mentioning that they don't have a retirement visa but do have  poor Healthcare. With other places she glosses over crime,  healthcare and taxes. 

Her approach works. She makes a lot of money

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pinot said:

After reading the comments I wonder how any of the contributors can bear to stay in LOS? Nothing but negativity. A bunch of miserable old man constantly whingeing about whatever the daily topic is. Really...why don't you leave this horrible place? We'll all be better for it.  

So who is winging, not me I just posted where this news source came from. One woman. If you want to believe everything you hear get a direct feed from the Thai government spokespersons and live in your euphoric state and not the real world.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Healthiest places to retire ?

From link ; 

Thailand

Thailand has successfully increased the life expectancy of its citizens to an average of 77 years.

The WHO ranks Thailand's health care system at No. 47. Thailand is one of the world's top destinations for medical tourism because of its world-class facilities with low costs.

Seems a load of nonsense to me. My own UK already has life expectancy of 82/83 - so I may be dying earlier in Thailand

And Thailand is ranked 47th in the world for health care.

What this story should be saying is 'If you are rich and can afford the best healthcare, you may be ok and may reach your own country life expectancy - assuming you do not die on the roads'.

Personally I think retirees are more like to die of a heart attack worrying about when or IF you get your yearly extension. 

I believe you, and all other Brits, are free to move back to UK for better health care..! And if I'm unhappy I can of course return to my home country; which might be an awful place for retirement...:whistling:

It would be more relevant to look at figures among foreign retirees in LOS, like health condition and longevity when comparing, and not compare with the natives. Furthermore foreign retirees might choose high ranking private hospitals rather than public. Happiness level is also a major factor to include...????

Overall I like living in Thailand. However, for it to have a healthy lifestyle as its draw, you need to have come from some place like Pakistan, China or the Congo. 

If men are honest the vast majority come here from first world nations for the women, the libertine lifestyle, cost of living and sense of adventure. Now the women, boys and ladyboys are the only real draw, although cost of living, while rising, is still better than many nations. 

If I had prioritized a healthy lifestyle Thailand (with its pollution, cheap cooking oils, sugar in everything and roadblocks on getting involved in the community via working or volunteering) would not have been on my list especially since I can't afford to do any major treatment at Bumrungrad or only dine at expensive restaurants. 

• Like 2