Thailand listed among the healthiest countries to retire

snoop1130

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If you eat in 5-star hotels and you go to Bumrungrad for treatment maybe.

However if you eat the normal Thai street food and frequent a government hospital maybe not.

That why the government wants both "quality tourists" and happy "quality retirees", just look at what's happening with the O-A visa...:whistling:

• Like 2

An op-ed, nothing but click bait for their adverts.

US news ... healthcare highlighted where in the USA, the insurance premium  per month is more than I pay to stay health with a full check up every year or so.

The co-payment for meds in the USA is more then the meds cost here in Thailand.

Other aspect, healthy food, lifestyle, that's everywhere, except you actually have to eat it, and or get off the couch and go out & enjoy your life.  

Maybe some parts of Thailand. Did they forget to take into account the massive air pollution? PM10 levels in large parts of the north are over 100 already, and the burning season hasn’t even started yet. Bangkok is even worse. So if you want to retire to Thailand, be careful where you retire to, otherwise it will certainly not be healthy and you will be in for a nasty shock.

• Like 1

Forget the pollution, the carnage on the roads.

The health system is for rich and or well insured foreigners, try a Thai government hospital ( some of which are adequate) if you don't speak the language!

Attempt to pay the same admission price to National Parks, zoos, etc as Thai nationals!

Retire in pattaya the bungee jumping hub of SE Asia.

Or if canoeing is your idea of fun spend a few relaxing days in Bangkok during the rainy season paddle along with the rats, turds and used condoms!

This country really does live in a dream world!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the healthcare is good at the private hospitals, but...

even on a good insurance package you still get the feeling you'll get screwed over at some point (fake diagnosis, deliberate attempts to make you choose something not covered etc.) and end up having to pay a huge sum out of your pocket 

this puts off people going to get checked and then the problems start to worsen

• Like 1

Most retirees, their life expectancy is more based on their lifestyle of 65ish years in the home country before they retired.

For others, like myself, actually being in Thailand 1/3 of my life, almost half of my adult life, then Thailand is going to effect my life expectancy, maybe.  And in a good way, so far, as I do seem to eat, drink and exercise more healthy here, though that is more down to age, maturity, and more time for home / healthier cooking, less (20 yrs) processed foods.

If all in USA, when born in 1954, life exp. was 66.5 for white male

If make to 65, then good chance to live 12.8 more yrs, so with luck 78.

No chart if making it to 75 ... seems all bets are off.

If reading this CDC chart correctly:  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2010/022.pdf

hmm ... 66.5, guess they didn't expect me to collect much of my pension or SS.  Which actually agrees with my work / IAM union #s, as they issue on average 18 monthly checks past 65 yr old, and only 11 checks in my job classification.   Scary stuff.  Glad I took everything early.  As I should be dead already, or, if lucky, squeeze out another decade.

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Total lies and fake news. Before Covid, the attitude of most people was pleasing. Fun and playful. Not anymore. Sabotage and economic destruction has its price. Not to mention the heinous air quality, 7 months of the year. And nobody is doing anything to improve that. It seems to worsen each year. Also, a frequent and horrific immigration experience, does not help.

It is as of the authorities are trying to create an environment somewhere between Beijing (air quality) and Sierra Leone (economy and standard of living). 

The only aspect of Thailand which remains, that is conducive to a healthy lifestyle, is the relatively low cost of living. And the women, if you are single and avoid a relationship. Less stress from that if you are on a budget. 

And not to mention the brutal climate in so many parts of Thailand. Nothing so pleasant compared to Mediterranean climates, for example. I don't see how staying long periods indoors with AC's running would increase my life expectancy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are on the cusp of another choking/burning season.  Although not all of the pollution comes from agricultural burning.  Sandwiched between the worlds two biggest polluters (China and India)—Thailand has problems with polluted air.  And I have experienced high PM2.5 readings along the coast as well.  They burn the forests in Cambodia as well.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2021 at 8:02 AM, Pravda said:

The food is very dirty here unlike in Europe.

Before covid I used to get food poisoning every 3 months eating out.

Besides that I don't have any other complaints.

Are you eating out of the garbage can outside a 711? Been coming to Thailand 11 years and no food poisonings (touch wood.) 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

A friend of mine uses a foreign lawyer in Bangkok, who is one of the top attorneys around. He said his office cannot find enough hours in the day to meet with expats who are leaving, with their Thai spouse or family, and dealing with trusts and wills for their remaining Thai families, properties, etc. 

Great -- so it would be nice to get the nitty gritty from one of the clients of one of the top foreign lawyers in Bangkok who is used by a friend of yours as to why they are leaving.

Just for the record to those maybe unaware, there is no such legal entity as a 'trust' for individuals in Thailand.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Great -- so it would be nice to get the nitty gritty from one of the clients of one of the top foreign lawyers in Bangkok who is used by a friend of yours as to why they are leaving.

Just for the record to those maybe unaware, there is no such legal entity as a 'trust' for individuals in Thailand.

Love your argumentative style. It was a manner of speaking. One has to be very literal around you. They are putting their legal affairs in order, prior to abandoning Thailand. Kudos to them. Want to pick that one apart too? 

And you want the top ten reasons they are leaving, or the next ten? 

Edited by spidermike007

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Love your argumentative style. It was a manner of speaking. One has to be very literal around you. They are putting their legal affairs in order, prior to abandoning Thailand. Kudos to them. Want to pick that one apart too? 

And you want the top ten reasons they are leaving, or the next ten? 

I don't want your third-hand friend-of-a-friend reasons at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many come here with already poor lifestyle habits.

Fat, eating garbage, no exercise, low money, smoking, drinking booze everyday.

Then, they blame it on Thailand as an unhealthy place to live.

Hypocritical joke.

And likely add a few bad habits....

• Haha 1