Woman charged nearly 70,000 baht tax for her own handbag at Bangkok airport

webfact

Well, not just Thai customs that pull this kind of stunt. I once got pulled (many years ago) at Luton customs when returning from a six month sojourn in Central America. They opened my case and saw a dozen t-shirts and pairs of Chino's in plastic wrappers so began calculationg the value to charge me the duty. The fact that ALL the items were bought during my first week overseas (I didn't have much in the way of hot weather clothing) and the bags they were in were clearly labelled from a local dry cleaners where I had been staying, made no difference. They then spotted a coconut that had been decorated and even said it was presented to me on my departure. They decided I should pay duty on that too. Their calculations came to 235 GBP. I told them I didn't have that kind of cash on me so they agreed to take a cheque (told you it was a long time ago) with a cheque guarantee card. I dutifully wrote out the check, made my way through to the arrivals lounge and made a beeline for the payphones and called my bank to stop the cheque. Never heard anything about it after that. Luckily they didn't question the 700 GBP watch I was wearing that I bought the week before I departed Central America!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Not allowing people to wear expensive clothing and accessories, Way to go attracting high end tourists. 

There is a simple solution to the fear that  people will bring  in expensive items and sell them while here. Simply give them  them a receipt for it, and if they don't have it with them when they leave, they pay the tax. 

This is Just more Thai nonsense.

• Thanks 2

Yet I travel to Tailand with a diamond studded  Rolex on my wrist & never raise an eyebrow.

I think there is a bit more to this story & I bet not the first time an expensive bag has been noticed on her person entering Thailand. Silly woman made a mistake & did not buy the same make or model

2 hours ago, abeeur said:

I walk since 20 years with a $50000 US watch, anywhere in the world

Watches are so last century. Most people have the time on their phone these days. Does the same job as a $50,000 Rolex, is just as accurate and is included in the price. Nobody needs a $50,000 watch, but perhaps you could explain why you want one. I'm genuinely curious. Obviously, having it for 20 years, you didn't buy it for resale value as one or two on this thread have said might apply to the handbag purchase.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, Flink said:

Well, not just Thai customs that pull this kind of stunt. I once got pulled (many years ago) at Luton customs

I came back to Gatwick from the US with a pair of quite large but not professional video cameras (they were large partly because they used video cassettes, the large ones we used for watching films on tv, so also many years ago). One was for the US tv system and one for the system used in most other places, and they were bought to record professional tennis players during their matches. I charged them $50 a match.

I dutifully (excuse the pun) presented myself in the red channel, showed them what I had and asked how much I needed to pay, and was treated as if I was trying to import cocaine.  They could not have been more aggressive or unhelpful and told me they would bring in a local agent to assess the duty. It was 6am and I would have to wait until they opened at 10. I guess it was a scam with the agent, as they didn't simply assess the duty themselves. Meanwhile, the taxi I had ordered went away.

I have never gone through the red channel since.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Isnt this normal to pay tax on items even if for personal use bought outside Thailand ? I mean if it was bought inside Thailand it would not be taxed. Even in Europe if you come in with something really expensive from abroad you can get taxed. 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/de-Germany-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

4. other goods (for air travelers) up to a total value of EUR 430.- (per adult) or EUR 175.- (per passenger aged under 15 years).

Then she could just say she bought it in Thailand.  Do you carry around receipts for everything you are wearing or carrying into and out of the country.   

Shoes - 30,000 - 50,000 or more
Suit - 100,000 or more 

Iphone 80,000 
Nice leather bag 200,000 
Suitcases - 40,000 - 120,000
All your other suits and shoes in the suitcases
Laptop and accessories such as noise cancelling headphones.

The limits on the value of personal effects are a joke. 

6 hours ago, tonray said:

So wait....the actual value of the bag is almost 350,000 baht and she had no qualms about paying 70K baht to bring it in ? As crazy as it seems....even crazier to own a 350,000 baht bag

Costco open a store here in Baton Rouge. When they opened they had a handbag table with Louie-Vitton,Dolce-Gabana and Prads

A typical HiSo problem more ........ she is Thai and can read Thai (assumingly) hence did not make homework prior to going on a little shopping spree. 

USD 11K for a handbag - tidy sum but as long as some idiots pay for it and then get creamed at their home country‘s customs ....... love it! 

19 hours ago, david555 said:

That would already reached for a smartphone alone , not even taken in consideration a travelling laptop .????

Such old  travelers money value rules do not fit anymore present times . Are in high need to adapted to  present times , as governments themselves  require some apps to be used by citizens !

Who travel whiteout smartphone or laptop lately ?

Good point lap tops and phones are never counted anyway maybe if its really new. But its more aimed at bags as there is a big trade going in. Havent heard anything about phones unless you bring multipe. Same goes for laptops.

The bag might be an exception but who knows, besides if you pay so much money for a bag you keep the receipt somewhere. Same as a computer or phone (if expensive) because of warantee. So it can be proven. For this kind of tax im sure she can find a invoice to prove it was bought in thailand.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Good point lap tops and phones are never counted anyway maybe if its really new. But its more aimed at bags as there is a big trade going in. Havent heard anything about phones unless you bring multipe. Same goes for laptops.

The bag might be an exception but who knows, besides if you pay so much money for a bag you keep the receipt somewhere. Same as a computer or phone (if expensive) because of warantee. So it can be proven. For this kind of tax im sure she can find a invoice to prove it was bought in thailand.

im sure she can find a invoice to prove it was bought in thailand.

I am sure she an find as something like an "invoice agent " ????????

For every "officials problems "seems there are agents for it at a fee ????

On 11/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, keith101 said:

If she is carrying it and using for personal items then it is no longer a new bag and should not be charged as such

If she bought it overseas and was bringing it back into Thailand it is subject to import duty if the value is over B20k, regardless of whether she was using it or not.  Using  a new purchase doesn't exempt it from duty!

That is the reason many people use their new, expensive items bought outside Thailand...to avoid the legitimate import duty by hoping that Customs assume it's not just been bought on that trip!

On 11/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, asiam110 said:

Ive had people bring me expensive items from abroad, like a laptop before, always instruct them throw away the box, instruction manual, peal off the protective plastic the thais so dearly love, put a car sticker on the lid, wipe your greasy hands on the screen.., never been questioned.

Should have left it in the box, laptops are zero-rated for import duty.  That's why you've never been questioned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Should have left it in the box, laptops are zero-rated for import duty.  That's why you've never been questioned.

Might charge 7%... not sure if that is true.. but for computer stuff you import its free of duty but not of vat.

23 hours ago, Flink said:

made my way through to the arrivals lounge and made a beeline for the payphones and called my bank to stop the cheque.

Unfortunately, when you made up that part of your story, you obviously didn't know that cheques backed by a cheque guarantee card could not be stopped, that was the whole point of a cheque card.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The chances of customs pulling up a person carrying a bag is pretty remote, something she has done has put her on the customs radar.

Customs officers have a "nose" for expensive, branded, obviously new items and the ways that some people try to sneak them in!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

23 hours ago, sirineou said:

Not allowing people to wear expensive clothing and accessories, Way to go attracting high end tourists. 

No one is preventing visitors from wearing expensive clothing or accessories.  They're not allowed to bring new, dutiable items in on the pretext that they're not new just to avoid import duty, though. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou