Woman charged nearly 70,000 baht tax for her own handbag at Bangkok airport

webfact

16 minutes ago, tonray said:

So wait....the actual value of the bag is almost 350,000 baht and she had no qualms about paying 70K baht to bring it in ? As crazy as it seems....even crazier to own a 350,000 baht bag

Might be meant for sale after all .....just some lesser profit .....comes to my mind ????

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

Isnt this normal to pay tax on items even if for personal use bought outside Thailand ? I mean if it was bought inside Thailand it would not be taxed. Even in Europe if you come in with something really expensive from abroad you can get taxed. 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/de-Germany-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

4. other goods (for air travelers) up to a total value of EUR 430.- (per adult) or EUR 175.- (per passenger aged under 15 years).

That would already reached for a smartphone alone , not even taken in consideration a travelling laptop .????

Such old  travelers money value rules do not fit anymore present times . Are in high need to adapted to  present times , as governments themselves  require some apps to be used by citizens !

Who travel whiteout smartphone or laptop lately ?

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

More like 700,000 - 800,000 baht.

And probably not a model which is available here?

I thought that I read one article which mentioned this person was from Belgium, and just visiting Thailand. 

Hopefully the high-value tourists, being lured to thailand, are made aware of this. Might backfire if they get shaken down at the airport?

"And probably not a model which is available here?"

ahhhgh .....!! it is the model to become "copy-catted "here .......!  now it start understanding she paid anyway ....

So  soon available on the markets and Shopping malls here in Thailand ????

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, RafPinto said:

She wouldn't walk around with that thing in Thailand.

Hey peasants, look my 350k handbag whilst you are on a 300 baht a day.

6 minutes ago, abeeur said:

you really think that this kind of people walk ?

anyway, I walk since 20 years with a $50000 US watch, anywhere in the world

At Central Chidlom, Cental World, Paragon, etc you will see dozens of women with the same model.  All with the padlock undone to show it is the real thing.  It is Hermes but not a particularly expensive model.  The cheapest Hermes bags in Paris are about 6,500 Euro.  You can get a very nice Longchamp bag for 400 Euro and in this case woul dnot be charged tax as it is under the 20k baht threshold.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

So wait....the actual value of the bag is almost 350,000 baht and she had no qualms about paying 70K baht to bring it in ? As crazy as it seems....even crazier to own a 350,000 baht bag

It's like a Ferrari but cheaper...