Thaksin calls for the preservation of Hua Lamphong station

webfact

33 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It could be used for a history of rail museum could be ties to so many things about Thailand.

To destroy it for the sake of another high rise that can not find enough people tolive in it is stupid.

It is a heritage site and should be treated as one.

Erm.......it is going to be used a history of rail museum, and it is being registered as a National Heritage Site - both of those things were clearly mentioned in the article.

Seriously is it too much to ask for people to actually read the article before they comment on it??    Does my head in, it really does.

This is just Thaksin looking for a few more column inches - what he has to think is totally irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, roquefort said:

That's what the article says, but they've failed miserably in the last couple of years to protect the Scala cinema and the old Bristish Embassy. What makes you think it will be any different this time? Money talks.

Scala was privately owned, was losing money hand over fist, so the landlord decided to lease it to someone else to do something with it.  It was an ugly late 1960's concrete building, not worth preserving - at all.

The British Embassy was privately owned by, erm, the British government who sold it for a huge amount of money.  What has that got to do with the Thai government?  It's a private sale.  Blame the British, and chuck out your "money talks" cliche in their direction.

Hualamphong is state owned so is a different matter.  Plenty of extremely well preserved state properties around the country.

Not saying the Thai government are amazing cultural preservationists because they are not, but your argument doesn't stack up with Scala and the British Embassy at all.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Erm.......it is going to be used a history of rail museum, and it is being registered as a National Heritage Site - both of those things were clearly mentioned in the article.

Seriously is it too much to ask for people to actually read the article before they comment on it??    Does my head in, it really does.

This is just Thaksin looking for a few more column inches - what he has to think is totally irrelevant.

Actually it doesn't, they ARE going to register it sometime, it hasn't been done yet, and only part of the structure, I think he meant all of it.

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

When the bar stuards who take these decisions visit countries in the west, do they ever use their few running brain cells to comprehend what they are seeing? 

Example, Frankfurt railway station.. circa 1888

Frankfurt (Main) Hbf main entrance

The BKK version was based on this.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Not saying the Thai government are amazing cultural preservationists because they are not, but your argument doesn't stack up with Scala and the British Embassy at all.

A country that cares about its cultural heritage has the power to place preservation orders on any building of historical or architectural significance (e.g. the graded listing system in the UK). That's not to say I don't equally condemn the UK government's decision to sell off the Bangkok embassy. A perfect example of government double standards.

The fact the Thai government has not given itself this power to preserve (or if it exists, doesn't use it) demonstrates their complete lack of interest in preserving buildings of national importance. Far too much money to be made in "incentives" for allowing the construction of yet another shopping mall in downtown Bangkok.

Edited by roquefort
  • Like 1

Great for a museum and restaurants.

I love trains, underground, etc.

They have a similar museum in England and its very popular.

That property is very attractive to development though. 

If they do tear it down hopefully they'll put up a ghastly shopping mall as theres a dearth of them hear in Bangkok.

7 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Surely another condo and Mall are more valuable than one of the few iconic buildings left in the city? It's the Thai way, concrete over anything if there's money in it ????

and change all the signage to current foreign language they have pivoted to...the Chinese will be old hat soon enough.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kotsak said:

When the bar stuards who take these decisions visit countries in the west, do they ever use their few running brain cells to comprehend what they are seeing? 

Example, Frankfurt railway station.. circa 1888

Frankfurt (Main) Hbf main entrance

I think that photo was recent unless the I-Phone was in use in 1888.....????

I protested back in the 90's asking the Thai Government to prevent the demolition of the 'original' Thermae Coffee Shop and declare it a "National Treasure" but my request fell on deaf ears.

I was a temporary 'squatter' in the Texxan Lone Star Bar @ Washington Sq. (sleeping in the empty shell) hoping against further demolition whilst waiting for a Preservation Order from the Government.

If you believe the above then you believe Taksin actually cares....

(it's damn uncomfortable up here on the 1st floor of the old Honey Hotel...  broken glass everywhere!)  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Can somebody please refresh my memory how many billion did he leave the country with TIT

As I recall he left Thailand with money he had made before going into politics less, that is, the billions sequestered by the judges installed by the military on trumped up charges. Some of this has been returned to him after charges were dropped. Similarly the case with Yingluk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

As I recall he left Thailand with money he had made before going into politics less, that is, the billions sequestered by the judges installed by the military on trumped up charges. Some of this has been returned to him after charges were dropped. Similarly the case with Yingluk.

You should change your user name to "Rose-tinted forever".............................................one of the biggest crooks in Thai history.

23 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said the ministry and the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) have plans to redevelop the 121-rai station for commercial purposes by clearing it to make way for condominiums, hotels and malls. 

There is a big difference between going to register and registering.  Especially in this country.  All it takes is someone with money to put it up and they keep the outline of the building but develop it into offices or shops.

Until the government passes a law or the king decrees that it is to become a rail museum it will never be safe from the money people

On 11/24/2021 at 11:31 AM, Hayduke said:

He’s right…..but it still feels odd to agree with him.

Agreed but the railways in Thailand have suffered from decades of neglect including under his premiership. 

The tracks need replacing to allow high speed trains to run on them, single line tracks need replacing with dual track, old diesel locomotives need replacing, electrification is needed, ancient rolling stock needs replacing, old stations need upgrading and refurbishment. 

Hua Lamphong is centrally placed and should be regarded as the Capital's premier station but has not seen much/any investment for years. It is just an example of how the railways are viewed as a means of transport for the great unwashed by those in government , road and air attract huge investment but the SRT gets a pittance. 

41 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said the ministry and the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) have plans to redevelop the 121-rai station for commercial purposes by clearing it to make way for condominiums, hotels and malls. 

There is a big difference between going to register and registering.  Especially in this country.  All it takes is someone with money to put it up and they keep the outline of the building but develop it into offices or shops.

Until the government passes a law or the king decrees that it is to become a rail museum it will never be safe from the money people

Don't forget the actual station is a fraction of the land, a tiny tiny portion.  Once the station is not being used then there is about 1km of land up to Rama 1 Road that is currently all train track, signalling stations, buildings and other infrastructure that caters to serve the numerous train lines - all stuff that is no longer functional or required.  That area will be developed in to condos, hotels, malls, and HLP station will be kept as is and turned in to a museum.  That is my understanding, but of course I am not in charge. 

Look at the land, the footprint of the station is insignificant compared to the total that can be developed.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 2.11.54 PM.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Don't forget the actual station is a fraction of the land, a tiny tiny portion.  Once the station is not being used then there is about 1km of land up to Rama 1 Road that is currently all train track, signalling stations, buildings and other infrastructure that caters to serve the numerous train lines - all stuff that is no longer functional or required.  That area will be developed in to condos, hotels, malls, and HLP station will be kept as is and turned in to a museum.  That is my understanding, but of course I am not in charge. 

Look at the land, the footprint of the station is insignificant compared to the total that can be developed.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 2.11.54 PM.png

I don't doubt that that will work my worry is if they will just stop there or take it further.  The Gazette posting that the station is a national heritage site and can not be altered in any means would be the way to stop any worries