Move to Thailand permanently with 20M baht.

MrAscii

16 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Depends how you use it - spend it slowly/quickly or invest it.

See this again and again, raw numbers comments with no consideration on whether the golden goose is getting plundered or if it's generating an average spread investment return with the principle being preserved.

If a person can get "house money" out of crypto fast and pull their seed money out.... then that is another recent and new factor....free money speculating on a potential fast and high return avenue as well as more traditional investing ways.

The blind offering to lead the blind.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The blind offering to lead the blind.

Haha, yes mate. Never said put all your cash in crypto.

90% conservative investing and portion to gettting a free pool of money for more speculative investing.

Regardless have it at with your own opinions.

• Like 1

Move to Thailand. Move the money to Thai banks. Several accounts at the biggest banks. Since it's a large amount, it will yield a handsome interest. If you're smart you won't get married. Keep your financies intact. Don't buy real estate. Rent or lease. If you must you can invest, the top choices would be land or real estate but the laws are dubious, they always side with locals, so it's not in your favor.

Edited by A1Str8
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Since you are 45 years old, you will be eligible to apply for retirement visa in 5 years time.

Why not study Thai (education visa) for a few years, then change to retirement visa when you turn 50 years old. You need only 800,000 baht.

I have less than 2 million baht and am retiring comfortably.

The business environment in Thailand isn't good for foreigners unless it's a huge factory because you have to hire at least 4 Thai workers.

This is also a good idea, ED visa. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom H said:

Dont pay more 20k Baht.

Nice places can be had for around 10k a bit further from the CBD in BKK. I was paying 8k for a decent place with all the amenities, security, parking, pool, fitness. Didn't have the prestige of a more expensive place, but you shouldn't be spending on that if playing the long game.

Indeed, rent. Absolutely don't invest in property. The ads are bursting with rentals with folks already in that boat, which they aren't getting out of any time soon.

Or hey, come out here to Issan, where your baht goes even further, and you can kick back and relax watching the sunset over the fields, with no traffic jams nor pollution.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrAscii said:

I will try to run it remotely although if I sell it I may get another 20M bath. I will think as many as possibilities.

Im expert in web hosting, but since the market too saturated I swicthed in to building material distribution company.

Im not sure whether in Thailand web hosting business is still profitable or not.

This new info materially changes your case.

If you could double your initial ฿20M by hitting the exit button on a biz, then you're good to go. You can try and run it if you want, or you can take the event income and straight retire with total (disclosed) assets of approx ฿40M - easily enough to withstand the stressed returns case in the quick financial model I built lol.

Personally, I'd try running it first (since it sounds like you're good at it) and if it's too stressful or difficult to run from abroad, exit while the biz still has value.

---

Quick final note: be careful with what you invest in and the advice you listen to.

For investments, diversification and downside protection are your friends. You don't need to (and shouldn't) be speculating on risky investments with a material amount of your nest egg. Broad market exposure is fine. I wouldn't play in crypto or speculative momentum positions with more than 5% of a retirement portfolio of your size - just too risky. If you become a good enough trader to move up the risk curve, you'll know.

For income, if you have a ton of free time in retirement and understand websites well, maybe look at starting your own niche website and earning some affiliate commissions. Indonesia's a growing market these days and there's bound to be increased demand for content in the local language.

At the worst case it'll be a hobby that helps you pass the time. Best case, it'll throw off way more than a living income. If you incorporate overseas and earnings never directly hit a Thai bank account, I don't think you'll have any issues - but this isn't legal advice. If you have concerns about legality then consult a lawyer or other expert.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jensmann said:

Simple advice: keep all your money in the bank. Come here (maybe Ed visa) for a year. Open eyes and ears. Then you know what's best for yourself.....

Thank you. yes I will not in hurry relocate all capital to Thai. I will test live by ED or volunteer visa for a year. Thank you.

1 hour ago, The Cipher said:

This new info materially changes your case.

If you could double your initial ฿20M by hitting the exit button on a biz, then you're good to go. You can try and run it if you want, or you can take the event income and straight retire with total (disclosed) assets of approx ฿40M - easily enough to withstand the stressed returns case in the quick financial model I built lol.

Personally, I'd try running it first (since it sounds like you're good at it) and if it's too stressful or difficult to run from abroad, exit while the biz still has value.

---

Quick final note: be careful with what you invest in and the advice you listen to.

For investments, diversification and downside protection are your friends. You don't need to (and shouldn't) be speculating on risky investments with a material amount of your nest egg. Broad market exposure is fine. I wouldn't play in crypto or speculative momentum positions with more than 5% of a retirement portfolio of your size - just too risky. If you become a good enough trader to move up the risk curve, you'll know.

For income, if you have a ton of free time in retirement and understand websites well, maybe look at starting your own niche website and earning some affiliate commissions. Indonesia's a growing market these days and there's bound to be increased demand for content in the local language.

At the worst case it'll be a hobby that helps you pass the time. Best case, it'll throw off way more than a living income. If you incorporate overseas and earnings never directly hit a Thai bank account, I don't think you'll have any issues - but this isn't legal advice. If you have concerns about legality then consult a lawyer or other expert.

Thank you. Very valuable advice. Thank you.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I retired at 55 with that amount nett after building a house for my Thai wife of 8 years at that time, now 15 years and still very happily married.

45 is young, however your investments MUST remain at arms length from your future wife, i.e. if you ever end up getting married, as many Thai wives to foreigners have walked away much better off than they were when they met their foreign husbands who just handed everything over to them naively I would imagine, e.g. a marriage is an investment, no different to a business contract, that said, your exit clause if your wealth, not hers, as cruel as it sounds, without an exit clause she will win on all counts, so as I said, your $'s MUST stay out of the marriage if you want to continue to have a life that you can control well into your retirement years, she will win along the way just being in your relationship and of course when you pass away, anyways, enough of the potential wife side.

If you work on 2% return on your investment which is a worst case scenario, you will receive 400,000 baht nett per annum, and lets assume you draw down another 400,000 baht per annum from your funds, that will give you 800,000 baht per annum to live off here, now as you said, you will have a place paid off, so living on 800,000 bath per annum or over 65,000 baht per month should be a walk in the park if your not out partying.

The 400,000 draw down would last 50 years so if your still alive at 95 your lifestyle will be a changing real quick ????

Now 2% return nett on your investment is super conservative, I have averaged 8% nett over the past 6 years so life in Thailand is really good, especially when your not working.

Good luck

Thank you. very valuable advice. Yes I know 45 is still young. Thats why I will think a possibilities included try to run my current company remotely and I'm aware about the marriage issue. Thank you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bring some German giant rabbits with you and start a Giant rabbit farm.

Currently selling for 10Kbht+ each.

Widely available in Indonesia, almost none to be had in Thailand.

Do they come with the "german big mouth"?

Asking for John.

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just don't mention to anyone when you arrive here, that

you have 20 Million Baht ........

regards worgeordie

He can give me a call.
I know someone where the money could be wisely invested.
Returns of 10% a month, for sure.
Give me a call. I put you in contact with Rob, soi 4, 5 bar on the left site.

A nice guy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mvdf said:

Don't listen to all these jealousy-driven comments above (and perhaps more to follow). If invested wisely and you plan your life in the Kingdom intelligently, 20M THB is a sufficiently large amount of money for a comfortable and financially secure life. This amount converts to about 600k USD which is why I can detect hints of resentment in those attempting to imply "it's not enough... it's nothing.... it's just pennies... it will go a long way there in Indonesia rather than in Thailand etc etc"

Thailand is not Geneva or Oslo. USD 600k is a reasonably large amount of money here in South East Asia. Most westerners do not have that kind of money and some of them have been living here for decades.

Plan by first researching where to live in Thailand. When in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) the golden rule is to be discreet. Do not openly advertise your assets. Always do due diligence before investing. Even if invested conservatively, your money will earn a decent ROI which you can comfortably live with/from without even touching the principal. If you invest some of the money aggressively, I would strongly advise investing only a portion of the money you can afford to lose in the event of the investment not performing as initially presented.

If however you plan to live in one of the most luxurious areas of Bangkok or the islands, then 20M Baht will definitely not suffice for retirement.

Thank you for your valuable advice. I'm NOT a luxury style man. Even tend to be simple person. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justanotherone said:

Any tips where to invest it?

Thai stock ?

I would love 5 percent interest

If you are not an active investor I would stick with large global funds managed or trackers from the big players.

You would be unlucky not to make 5%. over time (not necessarily every year!!)

I have a range of funds the worst, over the last 12 months has been 5%, the best 32%.

• Like 2

Just to give you an idea of how thing go in Thailand I arrived here at the age of 57 with 40 million Bhat the N.Z.$ was getting 25bhat at the time.

Today I have 25.7 million Bhat left I bought a home for my still partner of 18 years now for 10 million 8 years ago in Thailand.   The N.Z.$ has gone down 8% = 3.8 million Bhat   today the nz$ gets 23

=== 40million

-      3.8          nz $ dropping 8%

-      10   house

26.2 million            I still have 25.7 million   I am now 74   in April next  75           Oh I forgot and I bought  brand new Merc  8 years ago back then worth 3 million.

I have had a bloody good time here my partner is 25 years younger than me and Thai.

So you see if one plans right and has other income streams life is good     Yes I do have health cover cost me 10k a year  well worth it. I have never claimed fingers x 

• Like 2