Move to Thailand permanently with 20M baht.

MrAscii

Hi All,

I'm 45 years old from Indonesia.
Because of a traumatic event, I'm consider to move out the country permanently, and Thailand is one of my favourite destination.

I visited Bangkok once in 2018 and seems Thailand is almost the same work culture, road situation etc with Indonesia.

I was wondering if enough and possible, and what the best and safe steps to live and work in Thailand with around 20 millions bath capital?
Invest then work then married or what?

I have a plan to apply "volunteer visa" for lets say 1 year to looking for any chance to live and work in Thailand and learn Thai language in school.
Unfortunatelly seems at this time "volunteer visa" is suspended.

Thank you very much for any suggestion and opinion. Sorry my English grammar is not really good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

That money goes further in Indonesia than Thailand. 

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that Indonesia is cheaper than Thailand. Thailand economic is stronger than Indonesia.

But a lot of things make me consider to move out from the country.

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

You English is fine, but THB 20 million is not enough to retire at age 45.  Are you planning on finding a job in Thailand?  Will you be permitted to work here?

Yes I know my situation is quite hard to move permanently in Thai. But I wonder is theres any opportunity for me. Tq

27 minutes ago, MrAscii said:

Im a retired programmer and currently run a building material distribution company. Can not speak Thai yet. I estimate 20M is nett capital after buy a small condo etc.

Can u keep running the company from Thailand? And/or are your programming skills current enough to possibly freelance or pick up a remote job?

Focusing only on the financial side of your question (since that's what I know), ฿20M is probably enough to retire to Thailand but it's something that I'd advise you to think really carefully about.

Assuming no income and only nest egg, you'd want to feel confident that your pot of capital could reasonably see you through old age. You're 45 now, so you'd basically need to feel confident that it could last the back half of your life.

I quickly ran some spreadsheet cases, and if you earned a 4.25% net real return (after trading costs, taxes and inflation) and spent ฿70k/mth you'd be able to go indefinitely without touching principal. But if your net return drops below 4.25% or your costs run above ฿70k/mth (both inflation adjusted), then you'd start drawing down principal.

In a scenario where, let's say, inflation runs hot and/or markets run cool and you earn a real net return of just 3%, you'd be net worth negative at age 87. I don't think that'll happen but if it is something to consider. Too many people seem to retire without considering that the world of tomorrow might be materially different to the world of today.

All of that is a long winded way of saying that you can probably retire but there would be some risk. If you can continue earning income to grow your capital for a few years, that would be the best. For example if you retire at age 50 with ฿25M, you'd easily make it through 100 even in the 3% return case.

There's a lot more remote jobs now post-Covid so you might be able to pick one up and live in Thailand while still working. My gf and I both work remotely from Bangkok for part of the year so it's definitely possible!

• Like 2

Come with OA Visa and change Later to O-Visa. Open Bank account, Deposit 800k Baht. Use Wise for Money transfer. Live in Bkk near Ari for example. Rent 50 sqm. Dont pay more 20k Baht. Drink a coffee at a nice shop at Ari.

All the best.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Can u keep running the company from Thailand? And/or are your programming skills current enough to possibly freelance or pick up a remote job?

Focusing only on the financial side of your question (since that's what I know), ฿20M is probably enough to retire to Thailand but it's something that I'd advise you to think really carefully about.

Assuming no income and only nest egg, you'd want to feel confident that your pot of capital could reasonably see you through old age. You're 45 now, so you'd basically need to feel confident that it could last the back half of your life.

I quickly ran some spreadsheet cases, and if you earned a 4.25% net real return (after trading costs, taxes and inflation) and spent ฿70k/mth you'd be able to go indefinitely without touching principal. But if your net return drops below 4.25% or your costs run above ฿70k/mth (both inflation adjusted), then you'd start drawing down principal.

In a scenario where, let's say, inflation runs hot and/or markets run cool and you earn a real net return of just 3%, you'd be net worth negative at age 87. I don't think that'll happen but if it is something to consider. Too many people seem to retire without considering that the world of tomorrow might be materially different to the world of today.

All of that is a long winded way of saying that you can probably retire but there would be some risk. If you can continue earning income to grow your capital for a few years, that would be the best. For example if you retire at age 50 with ฿25M, you'd easily make it through 100 even in the 3% return case.

There's a lot more remote jobs now post-Covid so you might be able to pick one up and live in Thailand while still working. My gf and I both work remotely from Bangkok for part of the year so it's definitely possible!

Correct!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's more than enough to afford to live a very solid Thai middle class level life in Thailand without working. Obviously the money would need to be invested semi-ambitiously. I retired here at age 48 with MUCH less than that, did buy a condo for cash of course, and because of investments my net worth is almost double from then. The OP can buy an ELITE CARD. He should get the best health insurance that he can with a view towards future onerous immigration changes. I would argue his money is safer with passive investments than to get involved starting a business here but if he still WANTS to work, that's different. 

If he wants to live a super decadent lifestyle like a luxury condo in the best Bangkok locations, five star restaurants daily, luxury cars, frequent international travel, constant mongering, etc. then of course 20 M wouldn't be nearly enough!

Thank you for your opinion. I dont want to live luxury. I'm a plain person. And yes, once I live several months in Thai and know the sitiatuon better I will buy a condo.

If possible I will not work in Thai instead of run my Indonesia company remotely.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I looked at buying.....nothing too fancy, 6 million.

But 6 million tied up, when the rent was only 200k is a no brainer, to me at least.

Thank you for the advice. Let me try to live in Thai and lets see. Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

With ฿20m / $625k USD, I could retire anywhere I wanted in the world, and Thailand probably wouldn't make my short list, or any country.  I think I'd play nomad for first 5 years, and keep my options open and just keep my base in home country.  Take time to explore other options, as you already know Thailand.

Not sure how that would work with Indonesian passport.

LOL, Indonesia passport is one of the most weak passport in the world. I see Thai culture is almost the same with Indonesia if we are talking about work culture, house, food etc.. Thats why I consider it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bring some German giant rabbits with you and start a Giant rabbit farm.

Currently selling for 10Kbht+ each.

Widely available in Indonesia, almost none to be had in Thailand.

Thank you for the advice. Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Same here. I retired with less than 20M Baht and get by comfortably. You should can in US and European REITs, so-called Dividend Aristocrats that raise their dividend year after year, as well as disruptive technology stocks. My portfolio yields more than 10% annually (and rising).

Don't buy real estate, but rent --- Stay liquid.

And think twice - no three times - before you marry a local lady.

Thank you for the investment idea. And yes I heard alot from youtuber about Thai lady and should be aware.

3 hours ago, The Cipher said:

I will try to run it remotely although if I sell it I may get another 20M bath. I will think as many as possibilities.

Im expert in web hosting, but since the market too saturated I swicthed in to building material distribution company.

Im not sure whether in Thailand web hosting business is still profitable or not.

6 hours ago, cmarshall said:

You English is fine, but THB 20 million is not enough to retire at age 45.  Are you planning on finding a job in Thailand?  Will you be permitted to work here?

Depends how you use it - spend it slowly/quickly or invest it.

See this again and again, raw numbers comments with no consideration on whether the golden goose is getting plundered or if it's generating an average spread investment return with the principle being preserved.

If a person can get "house money" out of crypto fast and pull their seed money out.... then that is another recent and new factor....free money speculating on a potential fast and high return avenue as well as more traditional investing ways.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrAscii said:

Since you are 45 years old, you will be eligible to apply for retirement visa in 5 years time.

Why not study Thai (education visa) for a few years, then change to retirement visa when you turn 50 years old. You need only 800,000 baht.

I have less than 2 million baht and am retiring comfortably.

The business environment in Thailand isn't good for foreigners unless it's a huge factory because you have to hire at least 4 Thai workers.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom H said:

Come with OA Visa and change Later to O-Visa. Open Bank account, Deposit 800k Baht. Use Wise for Money transfer. Live in Bkk near Ari for example. Rent 50 sqm. Dont pay more 20k Baht. Drink a coffee at a nice shop at Ari.

All the best.

He can't come with an OA, He's not 50 years old..........

• Like 2