Covid Tales 2: 78 year old retiree recounts getting Covid in Thailand after being vaccinated

webfact

4 hours ago, Lizzy Duang said:

No. 1952 outbreak US: "Of the 57,628 cases reported that year, 3,145 died." ( Wikipedia) 

You need to see the ratio of infected and dead. More than 5 percent died. And a lot were crippled. So much deadlier and long term damaging than SARS COV2.

Not sure what you're citing there, but this is from the article on Polio. As you can see, only a tiny amount were serious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio

No symptoms 72%
Minor illness 24%
Nonparalytic aseptic
meningitis
1–5%
Paralytic poliomyelitis 0.1–0.5%
— Spinal polio 79% of paralytic cases
— Bulbospinal polio 19% of paralytic cases
— Bulbar polio 2% of paralytic cases

9 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"Ah yes i remember everyone getting vaccinated against polio and then we all caught polio but luckily our symptoms weren't that bad!"

If it prevented people getting polio, that saved people from a life changing illness.

WTH?

No one gets polio after being vaccinated that's the point you have missed!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Not sure what you're citing there, but this is from the article on Polio. As you can see, only a tiny amount were serious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio

No symptoms 72%
Minor illness 24%
Nonparalytic aseptic
meningitis
1–5%
Paralytic poliomyelitis 0.1–0.5%
— Spinal polio 79% of paralytic cases
— Bulbospinal polio 19% of paralytic cases
— Bulbar polio 2% of paralytic cases

The case fatality ratio for paralytic polio is generally 2% to 5% among children and up to 15% to 30% among adolescents and adults. It increases to 25% to 75% with bulbar involvement. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/polio.html&ved=2ahUKEwiRm9vk7rX0AhXgUWwGHSmVBygQFnoECAYQBQ&usg=AOvVaw0_0kbdPyt82llEj1WuPkg-

if you take a medium of 30 percent of 0.5 from your table,  death probability is not far from the low estimate of some experts for COVID (0.2 percent). And polio could be eradicated once, which is impossible for Coronavirus. Thus natural immunity seems to be the better long term strategy to me. 

1 hour ago, Lizzy Duang said:

As my first answer disappeared somehow ... I won't deny all that. But those who don't like the current vaccines (vector and mRNA) may use the term "far less likely" when it comes to possible later side effects like heart damage. I believe that I will suffer far less likely from those effects long term. If you calculate the risk of dying from COVID in Thailand and you are in your 50s like me, it's comparable to the risk of death in traffic. But you won't stop using cars, taxis etc here, I guess. So it's a weighing of current and long term risks.

1. Please do not truncate my posts when quoting me, is especially when you respond with ‘I won’t deny all of that’.

2. Dreaming up future side effects without any evidence of such side effects existing falls squarely into the false claims/misinformation/scare mongering that is so characteristic of anti-vaccine arguments.

3. Your imagined side effects are skewing your calculation of risk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

A very very small percentage of people also had bad reactions to the vaccination, just as with any vaccination, and a few even died following the vaccination. 

But there is a huge difference in the efficacy of polio vaccines vs Covid shots. 

Polio shots actually are sterilizing vaccines which lasts for pretty much a lifetime and as such eradicates the disease.
Covid shots have an efficacy that now at best lasts 4 to 6 months after which its efficacy falls below 50% and you need boosters forever. 

Like someone else say, those of us who got polio vaccines in our youth are not getting polio vaccines every 6 months and those of us who had the vaccine - Don't Get Polio!  It's a huge difference.

But the best Covid shots are effective for maybe 6 months and a whole lot of vaccinated people are getting Covid some of whom die.  I know Covid vaccinated people who are sick as dogs.

There is no comparison between the two. 
Polio vaccination keep you from getting polio.
Covid shots do not keep you from getting Covid.  But everyone wants ot live in La-La-Land and claim that's not true.  But it is.

Feel free to live in illusion-land.  Heck, censor everyone pointing out the statistics and science, as well as citing the world health-care agencies who no longer say that the Covid shots do much other than keep you from dying, although fully vaccinated people are still dying.  Explain that?

People who have taken Covid shots should not be dying if the vaccines are truly effective.  But they do.  As more and more countries reach close to 100% vaccinations rates and yet it is not the "unvaccinated" who are swamping the hospitals, but those who are fully vaccinated???  Then you can't ignore reality. 
We're not there yet.  Give it another 6 to 10 months. People don't want to admit it, but it's going to be difficult to ignore very soon. More and more countries will have close to 100% vaccination rates and the hospitals will be treating fully vaccinated Covid patients because there are literally no unvaccinated.  We are going there. Government are making it happen.
Where there are no "unvaxxed" left - how do you explain the epidemic of fully vaccinated?

Ignorance Is Bliss.  But it doesn't change reality.  It simply is putting a blindfold on so one can ignore what is coming and pretend things are different.

Edited by ArcticFox
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think stories of people getting covid after the job - which they will, it was not meant to stop it 100% - is a reason for opening the economy and just living with. Just try and do the best we can, wash hands, wear a mask, vaccinate, isolate the extreme vulnerable if they want it.  if not now then when ? If we wait for zero covid infections of vaccinated people the world will be closed for the next 10 years up

No, we were told they would protect us 100% so we were lied to. This English video (with French subtitles) is very interesting as it shows just how the narrative has evolved. Just a bunch of liars who couldnt care less about the wellbeing of mankind, it's about time people woke up to this fact:

Covid narrative evolution

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think Dr Fauci if he has any credibility left, will disagree with what your saying, and yes viruses mutate, however when most people are vaccinated, there is less chances of a virus mutating to a deadlier or more contagious strain, I suppose that would be a better way of me saying what I said in my other post.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

Viruses mutate, it’s as simple as that. I’m not disputing that vaccines might hinder that process or weaken the virus over time or slow it down, but if you don’t drive it into extinction it will keep mutating. 

Don’t get me wrong, though. I’m all for getting everybody vaccinated! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

But there is a huge difference in the efficacy of polio vaccines vs Covid shots. 

Polio shots actually are sterilizing vaccines which lasts for pretty much a lifetime and as such eradicates the disease.
Covid shots have an efficacy that now at best lasts 4 to 6 months after which its efficacy falls below 50% and you need boosters forever. 

Like someone else say, those of us who got polio vaccines in our youth are not getting polio vaccines every 6 months and those of us who had the vaccine - Don't Get Polio!  It's a huge difference.

But the best Covid shots are effective for maybe 6 months and a whole lot of vaccinated people are getting Covid some of whom die.  I know Covid vaccinated people who are sick as dogs.

Covid shots do not keep you from getting Covid.  But everyone wants ot live in La-La-Land and claim that's not true.  But it is.

Feel free to live in illusion-land.  Heck, censor everyone pointing out the statistics and science, as well as citing the world health-care agencies who no longer say that the Covid shots do much other than keep you from dying, although fully vaccinated people are still dying.  Explain that?

People who have taken Covid shots should not be dying if the vaccines are truly effective.  But they do.  As more and more countries reach close to 100% vaccinations rates and yet it is not the "unvaccinated" who are swamping the hospitals, but those who are fully vaccinated???  Then you can't ignore reality. 
We're not there yet.  Give it another 6 to 10 months. People don't want to admit it, but it's going to be difficult to ignore very soon. More and more countries will have close to 100% vaccination rates and the hospitals will be treating fully vaccinated Covid patients because there are literally no unvaccinated.  We are going there. Government are making it happen.
Where there are no "unvaxxed" left - how do you explain the epidemic of fully vaccinated?

Ignorance Is Bliss.  But it doesn't change reality.  It simply is putting a blindfold on so one can ignore what is coming and pretend things are different.

Your ‘strawman’ argI’m ent is the very same logical fallacy exposed by Voltaire ‘Perfect is the enemy of good’ and so very well expressed by Watson-Watt:

Watson-Watt, who developed early warning radar in Britain to counter the rapid growth of the Luftwaffe, propounded a "cult of the imperfect", which he stated as "Give them the third best to go on with; the second best comes too late, the best never comes."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

That the Polio vaccines was near perfect is not an argument against the safe and effective COVID vaccines.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

No, we were told they would protect us 100% so we were lied to. This English video (with French subtitles) is very interesting as it shows just how the narrative has evolved. Just a bunch of liars who couldnt care less about the wellbeing of mankind, it's about time people woke up to this fact:

What else in life do you believe is perfect?

You were lied to, but not by the scientists and medical professionals.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think Dr Fauci if he has any credibility left, will disagree with what your saying, and yes viruses mutate, however when most people are vaccinated, there is less chances of a virus mutating to a deadlier or more contagious strain, I suppose that would be a better way of me saying what I said in my other post.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

Despite attacks from all quarters of the anti-science, anti-vaccine extremists Dr Faucci’s reputation remains intact.

Let him be judged by who are his enemies.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What else in life do you believe is perfect?

You were lied to, but not by the scientists and medical professionals.

Is Rochelle Walensky not a medical professional?

You don't see a problem with the head of the CDC lying about the protection offered by the vaccine?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

OK, I’ll bite, explain the point you wish to make.

It's straightforward, when authorities impose political restrictions and mandates based on a premise which later turns out to be false (such as CDC Director Dr. Walensky falsely asserting in late March 2021 that vaccinated people don't get Covid, which was then echoed by Fauci and Biden), it is a legitimate cause of concern and it undermines the credibility of the said authorities. How can we believe anything else they say now to justify a 3rd jab? Only for them to turn around in 3 months and say "you know what, we were wrong".

Classic case of "fool me once, not twice".

• Confused 1

I've written in this forum many times in the past regarding this in the past.

Having vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get infected, it just means you won't be under ventilators to help you breathe or die from the virus.

Two days recovery time for the 78 year old is super quick, if he had not been vaccinated, he would not have made it through considering his advanced age.

The media is full of disinformation that certain vaccine is better than certain vaccines in preventing infection due to marketing strategy.

There are many breakthrough cases reported in USA and Europe. Germany is seeing a surge of 76,000 daily cases even though 70% were fully vaccinated.

Edited by EricTh

15 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

It's straightforward, when authorities impose political restrictions and mandates based on a premise which later turns out to be false (such as CDC Director Dr. Walensky falsely asserting in late March 2021 that vaccinated people don't get Covid, which was then echoed by Fauci and Biden), it is a legitimate cause of concern and it undermines the credibility of the said authorities. How can we believe anything else they say now to justify a 3rd jab? Only for them to turn around in 3 months and say "you know what, we were wrong".

Classic case of "fool me once, not twice".

The vaccine mutated therefore the medical advice changed with the corresponding new data:

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-walensky-clips-idUSL1N2PX1IZ

The real lies, the lies that cost lives happened over a year earlier.

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Having vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get infected, it just means you won't be under ventilators to help you breathe or die from the virus.

Two days recovery time for the 78 year old is super quick, if he had not been vaccinated, he would have not make it through considering his advanced age.

The media is full of disinformation that certain vaccine is better than certain vaccines in preventing infection due to marketing strategy.

There are many breakthrough cases reported in USA and Europe. Germany is seeing a surge of 76,000 daily cases even though 70% were fully vaccinated.

But serious illness, hospitalizations and deaths are almost entirely visited upon the unvaccinated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The vaccine mutated therefore the medical advice changed with the corresponding new data:

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-walensky-clips-idUSL1N2PX1IZ

The real lies, the lies that cost lives happened over a year earlier.

Ah, god bless the mutations, the ultimate weapon of political communication.

Right I'm off, this was my quarterly Aseannow stop. I will be back in a few months and will look forward to people's insights on the 5th jab.

Oh and by the way when people need 3 jabs in the space of a year (or 4, the Israeli health minister is already saying a 4th one will be necessary because of the new "mutation"), that's not a vaccine, it's an experimental protocol.

Good luck to everyone.

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, relax33 said:

This is for those who had Sinovac or other non US vaccines
Singapore had a 98% vacc rate with  90% Pfizer n 10% moderna vaccines n still registered a record 5000 covid cases daily a few weeks ago . Its now at 2000+ which is still on the high side given its small population of 5.5 mil although 98% of the cases are mild ones with no symptoms ...
The excuse being given is cos they test more intensively than Germany  ... which is honestly not too flattering ...

Singapore didn't test more intensively, it's a lie.

Germany is having a surge of 76,000 daily cases yesterday even though its population is 70% fully vaccinated.

Edited by EricTh

49 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Singapore didn't test more intensively, it's a lie.

Germany is having a surge of 76,000 daily cases yesterday even though its population is 70% fully vaccinated.

Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt
What's undeniable was that they were slow in banning visitors from the Indian Subcontinent when delta started spreading n was also slow, overtly complacent n lazy in not quickly testing every individual with rapid test kits to separate the healthy from the infected at the outset when the daily numbers were below 50 ..
And the foolish thing was that when they started banning India, they did not ban the neighbouring countries in the Indian subcontinent until weeks later, so it was easy for people to get in from Bangladesh or pakistan 

If it was the Chinese govt officials managing the place, they would had tested out the entire population within a week as its only 5.5 mil ...

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There are alternatives to US vaccines such as Astra Zeneca.

Precisely, that's why the term "non- US " vaccines was used
If you look at ASEAN, easily 80% of the vaccines used were "non-US" ones with only tiny Singapore being the exception with 99.5% US vaccine usage

All the ASEAN countries r reporting falling infections  now, so it shows that any vaccine is better than no vaccine n "Non US" vaccines work well too .
Ironically, SG 's covid numbers are relatively high compared to the others at 2000+ daily given its small population n 98% vaccination rate .

N looking in hindsight, the various govts of the ASEAN countries made the right decision in getting whatever vaccines were available rather than to wait for Pfizer or Moderna ones as that would have easily resulted in an additional 300,000 deaths if they had to wait another 8 - 12 mths  after everyone in the West were vaccinated to get the US vaccines  ...

Edited by relax33
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

1. Please do not truncate my posts when quoting me, is especially when you respond with ‘I won’t deny all of that’.

2. Dreaming up future side effects without any evidence of such side effects existing falls squarely into the false claims/misinformation/scare mongering that is so characteristic of anti-vaccine arguments.

3. Your imagined side effects are skewing your calculation of risk.

There is already in vitro proof of DNA repair damage through the spike protein which then could also be induced by the vaccine. If this is confirmed in vivo, some vaccines become a time bomb. So the warnings are sufficient. Recently a 25 percent increase of heart disease was predicted in a simulation. I follow those studies and take them seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

There is no doubt in my mind that any vaccine for the elderly and those with underlying conditions is better than none, that said, the sooner those who do not want to get vaccinated, get over their selfishness, and then perhaps we can all live with another endemic virus, however the longer they leave it because (it's their right), then the more they contribute to the virus mutating to possibly a more lethal virus which will take out a heck of a lot more people.

The line has to be drawn, these vaccines work in reducing deaths period, anything said outside that, e.g. it's my right not to be vaccinated should be met with whatever isolation methods can be provided to those who refuse as they are the ones that will spread heavier viral loads to those of us vaccinated and those unvaccinated so the merry go round will continue for as long as they remain unvaccinated, and as I mentioned the potential for the virus mutating to a more lethal virus.

People who choose not to be vaccinated in my opinion (whilst it is currently their right) are selfish and personally, I won't have anything to do with them.

So, if the whole world was inoculated with a vax that does not prevent you from catching/spreading the virus you believe the virus will just die off. I may be selfish in your eyes but I'm not that stupid to believe your imagined result

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

No 100% efficacy number was ever published for a Covid vaccine.

The mRNA numbers in the 90% range were viewed with astonishment because 90% was unexpectedly high.

But why bother to be truthful, it is apparently more fun to lie.

9 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

Here is an interesting article on "sterilizing vaccines".

A complex issue no doubt.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/09/sterilizing-immunity-myth-covid-19-vaccines/620023/

"For most of vaccination history, humans have been guided by stopping sickness, and that’s been enough. The smallpox vaccine wasn’t sterilizing; it still helped us eradicate a pathogen. Even measles, a virus that’s much more contagious than SARS-CoV-2, can offer an optimistic example. Some people do end up getting infected after vaccination. But the vaccine has, in the decades since its premiere, largely driven measles into the ground in the United States..."

Here is an article on the polio vaccine:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/hcp/effectiveness-duration-protection.html

Polio Vaccine Effectiveness and Duration of Protection

Vaccine Effectiveness

Two doses of inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) are 90% effective or more against polio; three doses are 99% to 100% effective.

A person is considered to be fully vaccinated if he or she has received:

four doses of any combination of IPV and tOPV, or

a primary series of at least three doses of IPV or trivalent oral poliovirus vaccine (tOPV)

AND

The last dose in either series should be given after 4 years of age and at least 6 months after the previous dose.

Duration of Protection

It is not known how long people who received IPV will be immune to poliovirus, but they are most likely protected for many years after a complete series of IPV.

Edited by cdemundo
added polio article

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

Two days recovery time for the 78 year old is super quick, if he had not been vaccinated, he would not have made it through considering his advanced age.

"I've written in this forum many times in the past regarding this in the past."

So if you repeat something it must be true?

What if someone who disagrees with you repeats something?

"I have said it twice:

That alone should encourage the crew.

Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:

What I tell you three times is true."

Lewis Carroll, "The Hunting of the Snark".

I am glad to read about this old fellow surviving COVID. One of my friends got his 2 shots, then came in contact

with COVID, he survived, but his unvaccinated Kid who lived at home also got sick from the virus, and tho the

kid was in his 30s, he died. A few of my relatives, and several friends are among the 5 million plus, people who have

died from COVID, so I got my 2 vaccinations without much side affects.  I have some friends who are waiting for

surgeries, and cannot get them as the hospitals are full of people with COVID, I have no positive feeling for the

unvaccinated who are plugging up the hospitals. 

I had a rather strange experience a few weeks back. We were driving to the market town from my village and the missus was browsing her iphone as usual when suddenly she said "Do you want to get the third vaccination today?" In the next village the booster injections were being done according to her phone so off we went. The set up was similar to the injections we had received in the market town, well organized with various large tents set up in a field.

We introduced ourselves and the missus produced the documents from our previous two injections (Sinovac and Astra) we were directed to a table where the boosters were given, there were only about 10 well dressed Thais there so we got in line, I was first before my wife who handed the two nurses our vaccine confirmation and we were handed a pink form to sign then I got the injection (Astra) as I stood up to let the wife sit down one of the nurses who was looking at the forms uttered a cry of surprise/dismay and snatched our pink forms and tore them up and told us to leave without vaccinating my wife. I asked what was wrong but the nurse only stammered something about it being wrong and it was dangerous and we were basically shooed away. The missus was just as surprised as me and looked around as we marched off. Her opinion was that those getting the boosters looked like government officials, police etc. and we had unwittingly sneaked in to the booster queue. Whatever, the booster gave me no ill effects but I now have no proof that I had received it so I will get a fourth one when we are informed by the tetsaban that we shall receive it, it is still a bit of a mystery for me.

10 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Ah, god bless the mutations, the ultimate weapon of political communication.

Right I'm off, this was my quarterly Aseannow stop. I will be back in a few months and will look forward to people's insights on the 5th jab.

Oh and by the way when people need 3 jabs in the space of a year (or 4, the Israeli health minister is already saying a 4th one will be necessary because of the new "mutation"), that's not a vaccine, it's an experimental protocol.

Good luck to everyone.

Flounce