Covid Tales 2: 78 year old retiree recounts getting Covid in Thailand after being vaccinated

webfact

4 hours ago, arick said:

You changed names in fear of defamation laws. Who would of been defamed. The dog? 

We live in a dictatorship where any slighted Thai can get you banged up if he has the right connections.  The treatment/hospital is not presented in a flattering light & could be identified.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think stories of people getting covid after the job - which they will, it was not meant to stop it 100% - is a reason for opening the economy and just living with. Just try and do the best we can, wash hands, wear a mask, vaccinate, isolate the extreme vulnerable if they want it.  if not now then when ? If we wait for zero covid infections of vaccinated people the world will be closed for the next 10 years up

This makes sense, I agree.

18 hours ago, ed strong said:

"If my story does not convince foreigners and Thais alike that any coronavirus vaccine is better than being unvaccinated, nothing will.

"In my opinion being vaccinated very probably saved me from a life changing illness.

"As it has previously with (diseases like) polio, tetanus, typhoid and hepatitis."

Ah yes i remember everyone getting vaccinated against polio and then we all caught polio but luckily our symptoms weren't that bad!

What a pathetic comparison.

One of the reasons the polio vaccine was so effective is that the vaccination rate was extremely high, so even for those who did not develop a strong resistance from the vaccine were still unlikely to even encounter the virus, and about 3/4 of those who did never developed symptoms.

The severe disease, or "long polio", affected just a few per thousand of those infected.

Covid (delta variant) is both more infectious and much more deadly than polio. The vaccines do a wonderful job of reducing that, especially the latter.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Covid (delta variant) is both more infectious and much more deadly than polio. The vaccines do a wonderful job of reducing that, especially the latter.

Please check the Worldometer graph for outcome of cases. The delta variant is not significantly deadlier, it just spreads faster. Outcome hasn't changed for 1,5 years.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

In my opinion anyone who refused to get vaccinated, catches Covid-19, then gives it to someone else should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

I guess you demanded that all your life, as the flu killed millions. Sick people went to work, to office, without masks, and they are still doing it. A young colleague died of a heart attack after having gotten the flu like that. Let's find the person who killed him.

• Thanks 1

"It contains a strong warning to those on the forum who have advocated waiting for an mRNA vaccine like Moderna rather than take a free jab with Sinovac or Astra Zeneca. "

A bit of a belated warning! 1.4 million doses of Moderna are being delivered tomorrow in addition to the 562,000 doses delivered on 1st November. So, now you are advising people to get Sinovac? :cheesy::cheesy:

By the way, it is not OR Astra Zenica it is Sinovac+Astra Zenica combination! Fake news.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Deadlier than Polio.

No. 1952 outbreak US: "Of the 57,628 cases reported that year, 3,145 died." ( Wikipedia) 

You need to see the ratio of infected and dead. More than 5 percent died. And a lot were crippled. So much deadlier and long term damaging than SARS COV2.

8 minutes ago, Lizzy Duang said:

No. 1952 outbreak US: "Of the 57,628 cases reported that year, 3,145 died." ( Wikipedia) 

You need to see the ratio of infected and dead. More than 5 percent died. And a lot were crippled. So much deadlier and long term damaging than SARS COV2.

But vastly less infectious and therefore vastly fewer serious illnesses, hospitalisations and deaths.

5 hours ago, flyfrog said:

went on a bike tour to Chiangmai, Mae Sot, Tak etc...came home and was tested positive, now in home quarantaine for 10 days. 

Well that was silly of you wasn't it? ☹️☹️ Unnecessary trip during a pandemic. Don't tell me, you didn't wear a face mask as well and you mixed with large groups of people ot the Mae Sot/Myanmar border!

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I am terrified by OP's tale and will avoid getting tested at all cost. OP lost 4 Kgs, I am not sure I'd survive after two week without proper food, proper bed and probably no aircon either.

Actually, I could do with losing 4 kgs or even more!! hahah ????

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Well that was silly of you wasn't it? ☹️☹️ Unnecessary trip during a pandemic. Don't tell me, you didn't wear a face mask as well and you mixed with large groups of people ot the Mae Sot/Myanmar border!

I congratulate him. I bet he will go through mild symptoms, the test might have been false positive anyway (when was he close enough to others to get infected?) and then be immune and able to wait for a better vaccine or booster.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not astonishing really... 

5,500,000 population - 98% of whom have been vaccinated.

Thats: 110,000 who have not been vaccinated. 

Thats also 215,600 who are in the 4% for whom the vaccine is not effective (If assuming Moderna / Pfizer at 96% *efficacy)

Thats a Total of 325,600 people in the population of Singapore who may test positive to Covid-19 if exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus.  5000 positive cases is 1.5% of that.

IF Singapore are testing a lot of people, it makes perfect sense that they will find a significantly higher proportion of positive cases. 

The real metric has gone unmentioned - How many require hospitalisation. 

Singapore had a Maximum Covid-19 death rate of 17 per day last week and is now on 6 new Covid-19 deaths per day. 

*Real world efficiency will be much less than control tested efficacy: 

Could assume a real world effectiveness of 80% (just a guess) ??

If your government is honest they test if not they get the results they want by not testing. Trump was a prime example of that when he said we will lower our number of cases by testing less.

People who are fully vaccinated are far less likely to become infected, far less likely to have a 'break through infection', far less likely to become seriously ill, far less likely to be hospitalised and far less likely to die of the infection. 

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Like 1

...monoclonal antibodies.

Let's wait and see if the Merck and Pfizer treatments work. They look good so far, but price and availability may be issues. Yes the thai regime has placed a large order for Molnupiravir.

Vaccines are more about control, mitigation, prevention, which hopefully reduce the need for treatments. And they're more cost effective.

Edited by onthedarkside
  • Thanks 1

Death rate has dropped dramatically in the UK, though infections are occurring at 40-50K a day.  Last year 1400 plus were dying daily- yesterday 150, and the majority of those in real trouble are unvaccinated.

Edited by onthedarkside
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, flyfrog said:

Hi, I am 59 years old, vaccinated twice with Pfizer, went on a bike tour to Chiangmai, Mae Sot, Tak etc...came home and was tested positive, now in home quarantaine for 10 days. My wife is not vaccinated yet and tested negative, we stayed together the first 3 days I was back, how about that? I have almost no symptoms except some coughing but this is probably just a cold from riding in the cold weather up North. So be carefull out there even those vaccinated.

"probably just a cold from riding in the cold weather up North." Not to be pedantic but that's not how one gets a cold. You don't get a cold from being cold. 

9 hours ago, arick said:

You changed names in fear of defamation laws. Who would of been defamed. The dog? 

If they scared for a Defamation charge  that only means that they aren't sure that the Tale  they telling us may not be 100% True.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

People who are fully vaccinated are far less likely to become infected ...

As my first answer disappeared somehow ... I won't deny all that. But those who don't like the current vaccines (vector and mRNA) may use the term "far less likely" when it comes to possible later side effects like heart damage. I believe that I will suffer far less likely from those effects long term. If you calculate the risk of dying from COVID in Thailand and you are in your 50s like me, it's comparable to the risk of death in traffic. But you won't stop using cars, taxis etc here, I guess. So it's a weighing of current and long term risks.

On 11/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, relax33 said:

This is for those who had Sinovac or other non US vaccines
Singapore had a 98% vacc rate with  90% Pfizer n 10% moderna vaccines n still registered a record 5000 covid cases daily a few weeks ago . Its now at 2000+ which is still on the high side given its small population of 5.5 mil although 98% of the cases are mild ones with no symptoms ...
The excuse being given is cos they test more intensively than Germany  ... which is honestly not too flattering ...

There are alternatives to US vaccines such as Astra Zeneca.

• Like 1

I found this article from 1961, informative in a short history of developing polio vaccines.  The irony for me is that my niece, about 50 y.o., sent me this article to justify here anti-vax stance.  I'm 72 and recall the vaccine for polio and those who suffered death and life-long disability.

See: https://everlyreport.com/the-truth-about-the-polio-vaccines-chicago-tribune-archives/

Wuhan virus vaccine note: I received Pfizer on 23 Sep and 14 Oct.  My wife received AstraZeneca on the 17th and will get Pfizer on the 15th of Dec.  She is 75 y.o. and has several medical conditions.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

Edited by Fortean1
left out URL
  • Like 1